Hot Rod Forum banner

V10 in 1984 crew cab

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Smokeytires 
#1 ·
Hello everyone
Its been awhile since I've logged on been busy.I bought a 2001 super duty that was burnt out in cab. engine and compartment are fine. I have a 1984 f350 crew cab I'd like to put it in as the cad 500 has a head gasket out or worse. I was wondering what trouble I will run into trying to make computer work in this truck. Any help would be helpful.
thank you S/T

#2 ·
v-10 Ford

BEFORE you install the engine REPLACE THE SPARK PLUGS,theres been a lot of talk,that when you try to replace the plugs,the threads come out with the plugs,so you will need to heli-coil new threads,the dealers around here,charge from $1500, to $2000 to change plugs in a V-10 pickup,(also they have to jack up the body,to get to the rear plugs.) :)

#3 ·
The 6.8 V10 is a bit of a nightmare - spark plug threads, head gaskets, manifold corrosion/erosion, and for the amount of fuel they consume, they don't make stellar power or torque numbers.

Just my opinion. I think the Ford V10 is a terrible design and a very large step down from a Cad 500.

#4 ·
V10 swap

Right now I'm tossing around ideas. Plans are to pull the cad500 check-out what I have. Its been overhauled by someone at sometime. Thinking on putting 700r4 behind it. It have elderbrock carb on it which helped a lot. Just use it to pull my 28' camper. Either way fuel mileage sucks. Wiring is the big issue right now

#5 ·
The Ford V10 is a great modern engine. And yes, it does have some spark plug thread problems on the pre '05's, particularly if you don't pay close attention to the Ford TSB. Repair is easy - tools and the kit is about $100 for a DIY'er. Broke exhaust studs is the well reported problem, easily fixed BEFORE installation with some ARP bolting.

Fuel mileage in a 4x2 isn't too bad considering that you will be hauling a minimum of 7000 pounds dry weight, 8000 in a 4x4. I have an '06 4x4 CC, 4.10 gearing but it does have a completely different head. Open road mileage, empty 14-15, around town, 9.6-11. Towing my 11,000 pound 35' 5th wheel - and depending on the road, 8-9 with occasional dips to 7.4 in the mountains. The earlier engine through 2004 has had many mods developed for it. the later, 2005 up - not as many.

Longevity is very good. Take a look at the Ford Truck Enthusiasts web site - and find a long thread extolling trucks that have hundreds of thousands of miles. Mine has only 74K.

Repairs on mine - the list is below:
-
-
-
oops - never was back to the dealer except for a Ford TSB required computer reflash and two taillight bulbs, so none.

A better mod, the Dodge Cummins diesel, also written up on the FTE web site, but much more expensive and involved.

As far as towing ability - I'd like my '79 460 back again - but not possible To date, mine has hauled my RV thousands of trouble free miles without a whimper. The engine does like high rpm - and again, not a problem there.

With advance apologies to any other posters, if someone gives you advice and doesn't have first hand knowledge by either working at a Ford dealership or owning a V10 powered vehicle - it's called hearsay.

Dave W

#6 ·
v10 ford

spike with sm at rv rental site(all their motor homes use v10s,he claim-es they have far bettor luck with the v10 than the new gm engines,was at a recent rv show in abetsford bc 90%of the motor homes had v10s.ford appears to have the gas market to themselves. as far as manifold bolts i have changed several broken bolts on the chevy 8s,can not believe,they use such small capscrews.

#9 ·
With advance apologies to any other posters, if someone gives you advice and doesn't have first hand knowledge by either working at a Ford dealership or owning a V10 powered vehicle - it's called hearsay.
X2. During my time with Ford, I worked on many of these, mostly in the F trucks. There were some spark plug issues, but not as many as some would have you believe. The advice to change the plugs before installing the engine is very good, as if you do have issues, it is much easier to fix out in the open. Remember, the V10 is looooong, so firewall mods may be needed. Before installing, remove the exhaust manifolds, remove ALL the studs, and replace them. Never seize the threads, both into the heads, and on the stud where the nut is. Put never seize on the spark plug threads, and DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN! That is the #1 cause of issue, next to never servicing the plugs.

If you have the room, run an X pipe in the exhaust, will help balance out some of the strange V10 ex note.

Since you have the donor truck, you have all the wiring. You will need schematics for it, but those are easily available.

BTW, you don't need to jack the cab to change the plugs in the SD. The job pays 2.7 hours, and that is lots of time if there are no plugs broken or stripped. I used to love tune up time on any of the Triton engines in the trucks. Flat rate money maker for the tech.

#10 ·
v10 swap

thanks for the replies.been turning wrenches for along time but don't have much experience with v10s.i service this fleet of trucks for a company that my wife works for they do pretty good maitence on these trucks.funny thing a cigarette does flipped out the window their not suppose to be smoking in. gas can sprayed fuel onto back window breaking it out you kinda know what happened next.the only electrical i don't have is what was inside of cab.i guess i'll have to locate what i can and hope i can figure the rest out.not real savvy on computer systems.i have a few connections locally that may be able the help me.may check out that other site mentioned in other post.as for now thanks for all your help.S/T

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.