Hot Rod Forum banner

V12 engine in a rod?

10K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  Denv12 
#1 ·
I would like to know has anyone seen a rod or owns/owned a rod with a V12 engine?

In the book,"Hot Rod Chronicle" there is a Ferrari V12 powered rod called,"Deucari".And one in the book,"Bizzare cars".Its fitted with a Jag-V12.

I guess there are engines from BMW,Jag,mercedes to choose from (or ferrari if you got the money)but it would be different.
Thanks.

Chris.

#3 · (Edited)
lets not forget the orginal v-12, the lincoln or the allison from a P-51 (airplane) which was supercharged and made an easy 1,200 HP, many a hotrodder used them in their drag cars and boats, I even have a video of one tearing up the strip....

-Leo-

#5 ·
55 chevy,etc and other replies.

Wa that the one built here in Australia that was legally registered?

As for choices,I would consider either the BMW or Jag V12 and possibly the Mercedes V12 but it would be more expensive.Isnt there someone in the USA who builds V12 engines based on chev?

#7 · (Edited)
I really hate to see the old Allison, Packard Merlin & Rolls Royce Griffon engines in cars or hydroplanes. These vintage aircraft engines are getting too rare to be used up in this fashion. I know of 2 P51 Mustangs that are in need of engines to finish a lengthly restoration.

Vince

#8 ·
Old School Nut said:
lets not forget the orginal v-12, the lincoln or the allison from a P-51 (airplane) which was supercharged and made an easy 1,200 HP, many a hotrodder used them in their drag cars and boats, I even have a video of one tearing up the strip....

-Leo-
Not only did they put them in drag cars and boats...they put them on the street. I just got back from Back to the 50's where I saw in Lincoln V-12 flatty in a deuce. Very very cool bit of nostalgia.

#11 ·
V12 in a rod replies.

Thank you to everyone who replied.There is a lot of info out there on the internet so thanks for sharing.

I did find a photo of an MG-B with a Jag V12 in it.Tight fit is an understatement.

Its a shame ford didnt develop their lincoln V12 engine.

If anyone finds more cars/websites showing conversions please share them here.And here's another:

http://www.falconerengines.com/prod04.htm

Thanks again.

Chris.

Attachments

#12 ·
Right after he got back from Japan after WW II, my dad had a V-12 Lincoln for a couple years. He said it would pass anything but a gas station, and on a trip he added a quart of oil every hour and fifteen minutes. He repeated those comments with a smile though, he really liked the car.

#13 ·
First a couple links.
http://www.kitcentral.com/pn/html/i...orum&f=9&sid=b54ca22788e3fd8090706b2c76e471d8

http://69.94.88.210/index.php?board=3.0

Second, Looking for info on a certian V12. Mitsubishi made a DOHC V12 for Marine applications. It says made in Japan, but fact is it was cast in Ohio and I think Kentucky; the block in one place and the heads in the other. My brother made the patterns for it years ago but remembers little else about it. However I would love to use it in my 38 if ever I could find out which engine this was.

#14 ·
Mitsubishi V12.

Thanks for the links.

As for the mitsubishi V12,I think it would be a popular choice if it went into production.At least hope they make a rear wheel drive.

As for the lincoln V12,It must have been popular in its day.There was a rod here in Australia built by a local rod builder who also built a 57 chevy with a rolls-royce V12 from a mustang airplane.He got the title of worlds fastest street registered car.

#15 ·
Denv12 said:
Thank you to everyone who replied.There is a lot of info out there on the internet so thanks for sharing.

I did find a photo of an MG-B with a Jag V12 in it.Tight fit is an understatement.

Its a shame ford didnt develop their lincoln V12 engine.

If anyone finds more cars/websites showing conversions please share them here.And here's another:

http://www.falconerengines.com/prod04.htm

Thanks again.

Chris.
Also if you look at dimensions for most of the modern v12 engines, (specifically BMW's which can be had CHEAP) They arn't any larger than a small block chevy engine. From some kit car friends, they are almost the same size. So really you would be able to fit them in almost all older cars.

Matt

#17 ·
V12's.

There are a lot of engine swaps being done by those who want to replace their Jag V12 with V8's so the engines are selling cheap.

The engine bay in any V12 jag doesnt appear to be much different in size to any other car of that size.

Does anyone know any good websites for the Lincoln V12?

Kit cars in the UK are being fitted with V12's.I guess for the lamborghini replicas,etc this sounds like a good idea.

Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.