V8 1973 VW Beetle Project - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Projects/Builds/My Ride
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2008, 08:35 AM
VW makes it, Chevy shakes it..

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks F&J! I see what you mean. I took a lot at some sites that sold the beefed up beems and I know what you mean.

So I'm in the process of rethinking my front suspension.

Thanks again for the clarification!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2008, 08:51 AM

Last photo:

Thanks Dalesy!

I agree, the simpler the better! I'm trying to keep the amount of welds down to a minimum and I'm trying to keep the front suspension simple too.

I'm convinced now that the stock front suspension equipment is not the way to go. I'm thinking about redesigning the setup to use the control arms / A frames, steering boxing / linkage and whatnot from a S-10 pickup or blazer. I want the car to ride 2"-3" lower than the stock look so I'll take messurements and work something up. I'll just use some chrome smoothies to give it that stock look so it'll be a sleeper. I was thinking of using a rearend from a S-10 too but I'm going to look in to your idea first.

What do you guys think?
Old 01-04-2008, 01:05 PM
Army Strong

Last wiki edit: How to remove a VW Type I body
Last journal entry: well once again
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

well stock ground clearence is 6" so you got a few to play with.. i'm not sure what mine is for my dip. but my brother bought me a chrome exaust tip for it and it almost touched the ground when he put it on..
Old 01-07-2008, 04:00 PM

Last photo:

Hey guys,

After reading some suggestions and going through this site, I'm thinking of basing my V8 Bug chassis after a T-Bucket. If you've seen my plans it's not too far from that already. I'm trying to figure out an inexpensive way to design a tube axle front suspension using spindles / calipers from a S-10 and possibly using a jeep front leaf spring as the front suspension spring for the tube axle. Would that jeep leaf spring hold up on it's own?

Something like this?

Old 01-08-2008, 12:48 PM

Last photo:

Volks Project

A sectioned frame from a smaller car would be my first impression. The Volks platform would never be able to handle the torque or provide the handling to be able to drive the "creation" when you are done. If you rear drive it, or evan mid-engine it, the weight ratio will be horrible with a very light front end. Think about it a lot before you go further.

I saw a HERBIE THE LOVE BUG recreation at the Krause Auction in Ft Lauderdale last weekend. It had 150HP hopped up Volks or Porsche? was rear engined and I thought to myself as it was auctioned, it probably will do wheelstands like the real Herbie too.

Best of luck.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:07 PM

Last photo:

V8 1973 VW Beetle Project - Help Needed!

what about putting in a front wheel drive motor and tranny in it ?
i've seen a 455 olds tornado crammed under one .
a old bud had a 454 in one with a short 400 turbo with the bolt in U joint .
he had it where the motor moved for the slack in it needed when the torque twisted the rear pinion up .
that was in the 70's .
i also seen a 454 adapted to the tornado
Old 01-08-2008, 01:10 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Double Clutch for the advice.

I've taken everyone's advice into consideration and have rethought my plans. As soon as I'm certain which way I want to go I'll redraw my plans and post them for everyone's review just to be on the safe side.

As of now I'm thinking that the chassis will be similar to what I have but a little more like the t-buckets front end. I plan to use some jeep front leaf springs and I'll treat the front end like this.

I'll just do a tube axle front end. I'm trying to figure an inexpensive way to fab it so I could use s10 spindles and calipers. I guess I just need to go out and buy the parts to figure it out?
Old 01-08-2008, 01:14 PM

Last photo:

I've thought about that too. I was thinking about just getting a front wheel drive tranny and just sticking it in back, but after I told my old man about the project he gave me a 283 sbc and a th350 tranny. So I'm trying to figure the best way to use that setup.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Last edited by V8 Super Beetle; 01-09-2008 at 07:57 AM.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:11 PM
Army Strong

Last wiki edit: How to remove a VW Type I body
Last journal entry: well once again
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

have fun with it ! the 150 hp.. was probally with dual webbers and dual turbos and bigger jugs and bigger block
Old 01-14-2008, 03:56 PM

Last photo:

I got some things done this weekend. Finally, someone reliable came out and bought the bug pan, transaxle and motor from me. It took about 4.5 guys, lol, to lift the bug body off of the pan, while on a trailer with the front wheels strapped down, and into the garage. We did it this way cause of the super's front struts.

After getting my cash for the parts I took a trip to the local junkyard. There are dozens of places to choose from up and down N. Shepherd here in Houston so I did some haggling and yard hopping. After two hours out in the rain I left with a 10 bolt S-10 rear, left and right complete spindles (spindle, rotor, brake caliper), steering box, steering linkage (<---all from a 93 S-10) and rear leaf springs from an Isuzu Amigo. I got all these parts for $350.

Here's a photo of the bug body and one of the leafs to the side just mocking up to see if the leafs are of decent length. Seems like it'll work fine. I'll post pics of the other parts later this evening.

I'm about $750 into this project so far.

Soon I'll post some mock up plans of the frame design using the leaf concept up front and using coilovers in the rear. After building the frame and everything seems to work out well I post the plans with the dimensions if anyone wants to build one from them.

Does anyone have any opinions about using these coilovers for the rear of my bug? I think they'll work and they're pretty inexpensive. From jbugs.com for $59.95 for a pair.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:59 PM

Last photo:

Here's the second draft of the plans. I'm going to go over the measurements again tonight just to make sure this will work.

This design utilizes a leaf spring front suspension.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:37 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

When are you going to prop the motor in place?? I think it was a good move to use the 73-up curved windshield Super body. Most would have gone with an oval window bug or early 60s bug, but those just don't have enough room for the motor/trans and you sit in the back....which looks ugly on a steet car.

The side profile of a Super hood shows more room for a front motor car

I'd be out there tonight trying to prop the motor up on blocks to see if it's all going to fit
Old 01-16-2008, 08:04 AM

Last photo:

I'm almost to that point, I've just about finished cutting away what was the trunk area. Next I'll mock up the motor to see how everything fits.

I agree and it's a fact that there is more room for the engine in the super beetle due to the bigger trunk area. I like the rounded hood and windshield too, that and the car has a louvered front end so I don't think it'll be necessary to cut holes in the hood for the radiator.

Here's some pics of what's left of the trunk area after cutting the rest away. I've got 24" of space between the place where the body mounts. If I need more I'll just cut away those two point where the body mounts up.

Here are the complete spindles, steering box, steering linkage, and rear end I got from my trip to the junkyard. These parts are from a chebby S-10.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:11 AM

Last photo:

I'm almost to that point, I've just about finished cutting away what was left of the trunk area. Next I'll mock up the motor to see how everything fits.

I agree and it's a fact that there is more room for the engine in the super beetle due to the bigger trunk area. I like the rounded hood and windshield too, that and the car has a louvered front end so I don't think it'll be necessary to cut holes in the hood for the radiator.

Here are some pics of what's left of the trunk area after cutting the rest away.

This was as close as I could get to the body mounts without cutting them away. The distance between each side is 24" That should be enough. If not I'll just remove a few more inches.

Here are the complete spindles, steering box, steering linkage, and rear end I got from my trip to the junkyard. These parts are from a chebby S-10.

The rear end and a nice little mess from the power steering box. Nothing a little soap, water and a scrub brush can't take care of.

The body sitting up on some blocks for mocking up.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:13 AM

Last photo:

Here are some progress pics. Looking at them doesn't look like I've done too much, but I basically removed the dash, the door windows, handles and hardware, the few remaining items attached to the body like rear view mirror and the straps by the doors, and all the wiring and insulation.

Here you can see I remove a little more metal from the truck area and there's plenty of room for the V8. And also there's the one side of the frame mockup.

Here's another angle. I want the front of the frame to pretty much sit where the bumper beams are which is out of the way of the louvered front clip. This will help air flow come in the front to the radiator so I don't have to cut away the hood for vents / grill. The 45 degree angle you see to lower the front leafs will probably move forward 5 or so more inches. I decided just to do all around leafs for simplicity. I'll use the leafs I recently got for the rear and I intend to get some jeep front leafs for the front of my bug.

Here's a shot of the bare door.

All the wiring and insulation is now gone.

Here's the other.

Here's a view of the dash gone and how the frame rail runs. The 45 degree angle will move forward cause I'll get some shorter leafs giving me more leg room.

I knocked all the foam out of the rear but there's still more cleaning up to do.

Shot of the rear clip after striping paint and priming it.

Piecing it together.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.