V8 1973 VW Beetle Project - Page 22 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Projects/Builds/My Ride
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2008, 10:28 AM
VW makes it, Chevy shakes it..

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I trimmed out some more of the body not that everything is pretty much where it needs to be.

I got a little carried away on the driver's side. It was tough cutting through the supers strut housing and the gas tank mount. ;D

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2008, 07:18 PM
Army Strong

Last wiki edit: How to remove a VW Type I body
Last journal entry: well once again
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Super Beetle
Cool man! Are you driving her around now?

nah, its gotta have a good bit of work..
Old 01-05-2009, 11:26 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPhotographer06
nah, its gotta have a good bit of work..
They always do.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:28 AM

Last photo:

Some updates.

A little more body work basically. I finished off the fresh air vents. They had little pin holes and needed some more block sanding. So that's done. Then I needed to close off the gap between the passenger fender.

You can tell from these pictures, but I figured it was time for some sweeping. So I had to jack up the bug and remove the front tires cause they went low. Took and filled them with some air. I took I picture so you could see just how well the stock S10 width works and perfectly under the stock fenders. The spacers are to give enough room for the vette wheels.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:28 AM

Last photo:

While I had the car rolled out and was cleaning, I snapped some pictures of how the body looks now.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:50 AM

V/8 Bug

Say buddy I haven't posted in a while but I see that the BUG is coming out SUPER. I remember reading some time back that you adjusted the back wheels to fit better but what I noticed on the back end of the passenger rear tire you have more space towards the rear are you going to leave it like that or are you going to fill in with some medal? Don't get me wrong it's coming out great but I was just wondering how about your engine any plans on placing it in the hood? Please let me know when your going to take that bad boy to the Baytown track I want to be there maybe consider a roll cage for to be on the safe side. I'm going to PM you so look for it.
Be good! RJ
Old 01-08-2009, 08:59 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCTRUCKS
Say buddy I haven't posted in a while but I see that the BUG is coming out SUPER. I remember reading some time back that you adjusted the back wheels to fit better but what I noticed on the back end of the passenger rear tire you have more space towards the rear are you going to leave it like that or are you going to fill in with some medal? Don't get me wrong it's coming out great but I was just wondering how about your engine any plans on placing it in the hood? Please let me know when your going to take that bad boy to the Baytown track I want to be there maybe consider a roll cage for to be on the safe side. I'm going to PM you so look for it.
Be good! RJ
Hey RJ, good to hear from you again. Thanks! I think it's just an illusion cause of the angle that I took the picture. I'll pull her out again and give it a good look from far back, but last time I really paid attention it seemed just fine. My next goal is to get the remaining parts for the engine (starter, water pump). rebuild the transmission, get the roll bar / cage going, and to rebuild and paint the chassis. Once I get all that done I can get the engine in. I'm hoping to have all that done by April. I just depends on how much funds I have to spend. Once I get her going I'll definitely take it down to the track and I'll be sure to let you know when I plan to go.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Super Beetle
I widened the fenders 3" in the rear. That and I wanted to do it myself because of the challenge, which I've never done anything like this, and to be able to say when it's all said and done that I widened them myself.

JC Whitney doesn't even sell widened fenders. The cost of materials ($22 for bondo, $10 for 22 gauge sheet metal, $10 worth of sandpaper and $10 for welding rods = $52 total) is much less than the cost of repo or fiberglass fenders, which roughly cost $320+ with shipping. My time doesn't cost me anything. I know time is money in a sense but it's been a labor of love.

Now, if I was paying someone to widen them that would be a different story and I would agree.
How about placing fiberglass over the bondo so it won't start to crack im thinking that maybe it might because of the stress of the V/8 on the body just a thought while it's not painted yet. Also VW newer bugs have some real nice colors out there I seen one some time ago that it looked like if it had a pearl color to it I think it was green or purple in color it's been a while. And J.C. Whitney does have a lot of stuff for your bug.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:33 PM
Quality Fabrication Tools

Last journal entry: Some ideas
Last photo:

You should add a custom roll bent cage to that car.

Nice!
Old 01-08-2009, 04:41 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCTRUCKS
How about placing fiberglass over the bondo so it won't start to crack im thinking that maybe it might because of the stress of the V/8 on the body just a thought while it's not painted yet. Also VW newer bugs have some real nice colors out there I seen one some time ago that it looked like if it had a pearl color to it I think it was green or purple in color it's been a while. And J.C. Whitney does have a lot of stuff for your bug.
I think that they might be fine cause they've flexed, the fenders, a lot just me bolting them on and taking them off. They've held up fine so far. I didn't add a whole lot of hardener to the bondo when I was working with them to keep it from hardening too fast before I got the filler laid down like I want. So hopefully that'll allow them to flex some.

I was thinking of going with the two tone scheme like I posted earlier in the thread, or maybe this color.

Dayton Blue Metallic

I'm kinda going back and forth deciding what color to paint it when the time comes. I want to give spraying the car a try myself and I hear metallics are harder to spray.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:55 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAILEIGH
You should add a custom roll bent cage to that car.

Nice!
Thanks! I plan to make a custom 8 point roll bar and weld it into the frame. Like so.

That should offer plenty of protection and help strengthen the frame. I don't see the car really doing a lot of track time. Only occasionally. Really just play on the street. It'll be my play toy. So just a roll bar should do. I can always add later if I decide it'll see more track time than anything else.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:09 AM

Last photo:

While your at it, why don't you throw on an exo cage. Just kidding.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:56 PM

My brothers 2005 chevy truck is having a roll cage put into it right now if not the race track won't let him run his truck too much horse power.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:05 AM

Last photo:

too much horse power?

Nice!
Old 01-19-2009, 01:29 PM

Last photo:

my v-8 super beetle

Hi,I have been reading the last year or so of posts describing your v-8 beetle build.It is really going well.Thought you might like to see my super beetle v8 project.It is built with suspsnsion and drive train from a 87 corvette.It has a custom built tube frame.700r4 over drive trans,dana r36 rear end.400 hp zz4 crate engine with tpi injection.air conditioning,power seats,power windows.This baby cruises smooth and rattle free,but will break loose and scream at will.The poster last year that ranted about no one ever being happy with a v-8 beetle and that you shouldnt build one, doesnt know squat.Keep up the posts ,I am enjoying them,good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	66bc_1.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	35703   Click image for larger version

Name:	6aba_1.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	35704   Click image for larger version

Name:	!BJSZsk!CGk~$(KGrHgoH-DsEjlLl0BVjBJSGFJwP,w~~_1.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	35705  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.