V8 1973 VW Beetle Project - Page 25 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Projects/Builds/My Ride
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2009, 01:34 PM
VW makes it, Chevy shakes it..

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

When you hit reply you can click the image icon which is the little but with the mountains and sun next to the bullet listing button, and insert the url (web address) of the picture. Or scroll down, look under Additional Options, and click manage attachments which will allow you to upload a picture from your computer.

Sounds kinda like what I did. I bought my bug for $500, sold the pan and other parts and got most of it back. Enough so I could buy a S10 frame and parts.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2009, 01:42 PM

Last photo:

thanks here it is
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vw.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	36400  
Old 02-18-2009, 01:50 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marnell79
thanks here it is
No problem! That's a standard beetle. Keep me posted on your progress. Looks like the body is in really good shape and you have everything the need but fenders.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:08 PM

Last photo:

The body is real nice. I have the fenders, seats and steering column, that was all included just not in the picture.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:28 PM

Last photo:

What about using Suzuki Samurai they should be pretty small
Old 02-19-2009, 12:35 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
What about using Suzuki Samurai they should be pretty small

They very well might be the same springs? But yeah, looks like they would fit.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:45 PM

Last photo:

I found another thread there they were thinking of using trailer springs. What do you think. They are really cheep and come in all sizes. I found Suzuki Springs are 2inches wide and 38.5 inches Long.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:01 PM

Last photo:

I'm sure trailer leaf springs would work, but I think that they're pretty narrow and you'll have to make up for that some how. Like using some grade 8 washers to make up for their narrow width.

Really, you could use any leaf springs that would fit under the car. Just keep in mind that each leaf spring has a different spring rate which you'll want to consider. You probably don't want anything with too high of a spring rate or your rear will be hopping off the ground when you run over a bump at higher speeds.

I think you're on the right track with the Samari springs cause they're made for a light vehicle and the body isn't really long after the wheel wells and neither is a beetles. Whatever springs you decide on be sure to get the springs and mock them up before you shorten the chassis so that way you'll have the correct wheelbase.

Last edited by V8 Super Beetle; 02-20-2009 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:07 PM

Last photo:

Thanks again. you are right on the trailer spring the standard is 1.75 inches wide. i think im going to try the Samurai.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:22 PM
V8 Beetle & Hovercrafts

Last photo:

Quote:
Thanks again. you are right on the trailer spring the standard is 1.75 inches wide. i think im going to try the Samurai.

I was the one with the trailer spring thread. I'm using 30" eye to eye trailer leaf springs on our 350 powered 69 convertible vw project.

Bye using the stock front leaf spring mount on the s10 frame with these springs it made the wheel base of my chassis about 97.5" which is about 3" longer than the stock wheel base of our VW. I was wanting to lengthen the car a little to give more room for the 350 so it works out perfect for us, and I didn't have to cut the frame in the middle to shorten it

I Just turned some bushing spacers for the leaf springs to use the stock mounts and I'll be casting some custom urethane bushings for it this weekend. I'll try to get some new pictures of all this on my website sometime this weekend......
Old 02-19-2009, 11:40 PM
I'm a closet human

Last journal entry: Flexplate
Last photo:

Hey mate, was wondering how you acquired all of these skills that you've been using to build this car?

Do you work in an automotive trade?
Old 02-20-2009, 08:52 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbhover
I was the one with the trailer spring thread. I'm using 30" eye to eye trailer leaf springs on our 350 powered 69 convertible vw project.

Bye using the stock front leaf spring mount on the s10 frame with these springs it made the wheel base of my chassis about 97.5" which is about 3" longer than the stock wheel base of our VW. I was wanting to lengthen the car a little to give more room for the 350 so it works out perfect for us, and I didn't have to cut the frame in the middle to shorten it

I Just turned some bushing spacers for the leaf springs to use the stock mounts and I'll be casting some custom urethane bushings for it this weekend. I'll try to get some new pictures of all this on my website sometime this weekend......
Hey zbhover, I've been following your work and remembering seeing all that you've done so far. You're moving along nicely. Going with the trailer leafs would definitely get you closer to the needed wheelbase. There's a guy on the net that built a V8 bug, but he built a custom tube chassis, and he lengthened his car 3". He did that to give it a slightly longer wheelbase to make it more stable on the drag strip from what I recall. Let us know how the trailer leafs work out. I had thought about using some at one point and even some jeep front leaf springs, but I didn't cause I thought they would make the car ride rough. Maybe they'll work just great. Keep us updated cause the more info the better.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:04 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECTION25
Hey mate, was wondering how you acquired all of these skills that you've been using to build this car?

Do you work in an automotive trade?
To be honest, I work as a graphic designer (technically, I'm an "Art Director") for a living. I've always been interested in doing things myself. It also has helped that my dad is a machine maintenance mechanic. I've learned quite a few things from my father cause he is always working on his project cars. He doesn't like newer cars with computers and has built many GM 350's. Other than learning a few things here and there from from my father I've also taken every shop / manufacturing class I could throughout high school. Those classes is where I learned some basics of welding with a stick welder. Most of what I have learned has actually been from researching on the net. You can learn to do just about anything with enough research. This project has really been quite the learning experience and a lot "firsts" for me.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:08 AM
V8 Beetle & Hovercrafts

Last photo:

We are adding the 3" so that we'll have less of the trans. right up at your feet and give a little more room for the engine. I figure I'll be able to get by with a little smaller trans hump so I'll have more room for my big feet... LOL

I went with trailer springs that are rated at 2500lbs for the pair with 3 leaves each, it was either that or 1000lbs single leaf. I thought that 1000lbs springs might not be quite enough, and figure I can pull one or two of the leaves off of my set if they end up being too stiff. I bounced on the back of the frame with the old springs and new springs and it seems to be about the same, but we'll see.

talk to you later

bye
Old 02-20-2009, 09:26 AM

Last photo:

Last night I finished disassembling the chassis. What a DIRTY mess. The front of the frame is caked with dried up mud. I've got a lot of cleaning and sandblasting of small parts to do. My plan is to hopefully power wash the frame this weekend and I'll sand blast some parts here at work.

I went to autozone to see if they had a ball joint separator to rent and I didn't realize how many great tools they have to rent. From piston ring compressors, oil pump primers, etc. Lots of tools I'll need and almost bought. I'm glad I didn't buy any tools right away. I will end up buying a good valve spring compressor from summit cause the one autozone has isn't all that great.

More later...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.