V8 1973 VW Beetle Project - Page 29 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Projects/Builds/My Ride
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2009, 08:45 AM
VW makes it, Chevy shakes it..

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks GM. I've done some more work on the frame this weekend. I thought I was finished welding on the frame, but wasn't. I welded some gussets to reinforce the plates I welded to the frame so the body and roll cage can be removed as one. Last but not least I need to move the shackles forward about an inch and a half and move the rear diff back to get the shackles away from the fenders. I'm getting pretty close to getting the chassis in paint and install all the new ball joints / bushings, etc.

I've been feeling like crap from a cold and I put some money down on a house so that's been taking up my time.

Those are some nice looking vws. Thanks for posting the V8 bug. I like how they did their exhaust.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2009, 08:23 AM
Army Strong

Last wiki edit: How to remove a VW Type I body
Last journal entry: well once again
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

that sleeper front reminds me of the new G8
Old 04-06-2009, 08:31 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPhotographer06
that sleeper front reminds me of the new G8

Old 04-06-2009, 08:32 AM

Last photo:

I managed to squeeze some time in to work on the bug this weekend. I pulled the frame out from under the car and swept up the messy floor. I then put down my first coat of MasterSeries silver using a brush. It went on pretty easily with minimal surface prep. I knocked off most of the loose rust with a wire brush. It turned out pretty nice.

Here's a link to the Master Series paint site.
http://www.masterseriesct.com/

Inexpensive and good stuff.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:11 AM

Last photo:

Quick update...

I bought some more new parts. Seems like there's always something else to buy. Parts I got to finish up the motor, tranny, rear diff, and chassis:

Hydraulic lifters, some lube for the lifters, short water pump - aluminum alt. bracket (mounts up top), starter, B&M street shift kit for the th350, adjustable modulator, B&M drain plug for tranny, bushings for tranny, tranny cooler, intermediate tranny band, all new shocks, bearings / seals, rear brake hose, and diff gasket / gear oil. I think that's all...?

Also, during this week I've sand blasted all the a-arms, put on a second coat of master serires on the frame, and I sprayed some glossy black automotive Rust-o-leum in the areas that are hard / impossible to reach with a brush.

One of the sand blasted a-arms

I'll have plenty of time tomorrow and Saturday to put down the final coat of Master Series glossy black chassis paint and hopefully I'll begin putting it all back together!

More to come Monday.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:21 AM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Looks good, steady progress.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:55 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ownerT
Looks good, steady progress.
Thanks!

Moments ago the engineer here at my work and I removed ALL the old bushings and the ball joints from the upper A arms. I plan to "rent-a-tool" from autozone to remove the lower ball joints.

I'll have more soon...
Old 04-09-2009, 07:48 PM
Army Strong

Last wiki edit: How to remove a VW Type I body
Last journal entry: well once again
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

comming along great!

a girl at schools just got a 72 super beetle..
i'm going to print a picture of a V8 bug and show it to her.. tell her to do that to it

haha i told her the flat 4 was a good relaible engine.. she said whats flat 4 mean?

Old 04-13-2009, 08:00 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPhotographer06
comming along great!

a girl at schools just got a 72 super beetle..
i'm going to print a picture of a V8 bug and show it to her.. tell her to do that to it

haha i told her the flat 4 was a good relaible engine.. she said whats flat 4 mean?

Haha, chicks! I miss the stock 74 super I had when I went to high school. Fun little car. I wonder if she could even comprehend what's so great about a V8 bug or even the amount of work that goes into the conversion. Does she know where the thingy is that you put oil into?
Old 04-13-2009, 08:02 AM

Last photo:

OK, I've got the frame completely painted in the Master Series glossy chassis black as well as the front suspension. Also, I installed all new bushings, and ball joints in the control arms. Next is to put the front suspension together and begin working on the rear suspension.

More later...
Old 04-20-2009, 08:42 AM

Last photo:

Got some work done to the bug. Actually, I put in about 10 hrs time, but it really feels like I didn't get a whole lot done. Getting in the coil springs, even with a compressor, was a real pain without the full weight of an engine or the vehicle to help, but I got it done. That took up most my time.

I sand blasted the front leaf spring mounts.

And some misc. parts.

Misc parts painted.

I didn't realize just how bad the cabinet sand blaster at my work was clogged up until our engineer saw just how slow the process was taking. We filtered out the beads, put it back in, and it worked like a champ. I kinda thought it was taking forever and it wasn't really doing a great job of removing all the rust, but what do I know? I don't do this everyday and can't really complain because my work allows me to use some of their equipment. Any who, it works much better.

Here's the steering linkage sandblasted.

Linkage with new tie rods installed and painted.

Leaf mounts painted. You can see in this picture just how much I had to cut out of the heater channels. Quite a bit. Welding rods work great for hanging parts so you can paint them.

And here's the frame as of this weekend. Control arms installed with new bushings and ball joints. Coil springs painted and installed. New shocks installed. Lowered 2" spindles. Sway bar painted and installed with new bushings and new sway linkage.

Thats about as far as I got. More later.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:00 PM
I'm a closet human

Last journal entry: Flexplate
Last photo:

Hey mate, not your usual bubbly self? .... car looks really good. You're moving so steadily and consistently on this.

I think having shiny parts keeps the motivater higher than it would be if you just had old dirty stuff.

Keep it up, loving the pics and updates
Old 04-20-2009, 03:13 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECTION25
Hey mate, not your usual bubbly self? .... car looks really good. You're moving so steadily and consistently on this.

I think having shiny parts keeps the motivater higher than it would be if you just had old dirty stuff.

Keep it up, loving the pics and updates

Thanks! Actually, everything is great! After reading my post I know what you mean. It's kinda hard to judge a person's mood via the net. I'm just ready for the next chance I get to work on the car. Sometimes it seems like a long time in between and when I get to work on it the time goes by so fast. I try to get in at least 8 hours a week. I'm pretty excited I'm getting that much closer to building my engine.

I'm thinking about doing a tutorial thread on how to build a SBC. I haven't ever built one before but would love to share what I've learn from this site and a video I purchased. I think it would be a good resource for those wanting to learn and I don't see any how to that takes you step by step.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:59 PM
I'm a closet human

Last journal entry: Flexplate
Last photo:

Great, that would be really handy, for me too, as I am planning to build a fresh engine for my car.

I also have that engine building DVD you've got, good isnt it? =)
Old 04-21-2009, 08:02 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECTION25
Great, that would be really handy, for me too, as I am planning to build a fresh engine for my car.

I also have that engine building DVD you've got, good isnt it? =)
Yeah, its really good and has me convinced I can do every little aspect. From the cam bearings (bought an install tool), the freeze plugs, install of valve springs (got a tool for that too),etc. Everything but the machine work of coarse.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.