V8 1973 VW Beetle Project - Page 31 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Projects/Builds/My Ride
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2009, 03:14 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Super Beetle
The replacement 3.75" crank came in and it was in much better shape.
Good deal, the first one looked like the American Tourister Ape wrestled with it.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2009, 03:23 PM
VW makes it, Chevy shakes it..

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ownerT
Good deal, the first one looked like the American Tourister Ape wrestled with it.

LOL, yeah, the box was pretty beaten up. I'm much happier now. Now I'm just waiting on STD size bearings so I can mock up / clearance the block before balancing.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:54 AM

Last photo:

Update...

I started disassembling the engine. I plan to even remove the freeze plugs, oil gallery plugs and cam bearings myself as well as install them to cut down on costs and to get some experience doing so.

Used some bolts and an arc welding rod (with the flux coating knocked off) to catch the piston.

And some fuel hose press on the rod bolts to protect the cylinder walls.

Works pretty nice. I don't have to worry about them falling on the floor without help. These will be up for sale. They're forged 4.030.

Cylinder bores are pretty much flawless by looking. No scratches or groves worn in from the pistons. Hone marks are still visible.

I rebuilt the carb. Here it is before.

Disassembled.

I sandblast the body and other parts that didn't have any jets. Cleaned it with a can of carb cleaner. Then I scrubbed it with warm water and light soap. Then blew the water out with compressed air and used a blow drier to completely dry it out before reassembly.

Cleaned up parts...

Cleaned up parts...the floats look really nice and new. ;D

And the rebuilt car. All new gaskets, seals, pump, linkage kit added, etc. Ready to rock!

Old 05-31-2009, 07:10 PM
Army Strong

Last wiki edit: How to remove a VW Type I body
Last journal entry: well once again
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

glad your getting experience.

and yeah, dont put your engine togeather with parts your un-satisfied with.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:31 AM

V/8 Bug

It's coming along great I can't wait to see it live so lets us people from Houston & surrounding cities know when your going to a car meet or the race track. I think you should bring it towards my side of town I live by Nasa.
Be safe! RJ
Old 06-15-2009, 11:02 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the comments guys. I will definitely let you know once I get the beast running and what car shows I'll attend so you can come check it out if you're in the Houston area.

Progress this month has been a little slow. I've been waiting for some funding to come in so I can take my block and rotating assembly to the machine shop. Good news, the funding came in and I'll be taking everything to the machine shop. Now I just got to get a couple friends help me load the block into my truck. Also, hopefully, I'll be getting my transmission from my Dad. He hasn't dug it out of the garage cause it's been pretty hot here in the Houston area.

So I should have some engine and tranny progress coming soon. I'm sure I'll have some questions along the way.

Last but not least, I've figured out how I will mount my radiator in the back and will be making the mount / support soon. Maybe even start on it tonight since I've finally got some free time.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:16 PM

Last photo:

Dropped the block off for hot tanking, magna flux, honing, rods resized and ARP 383 bolts install, decking to 9.020 and balancing of the rotating assembly.

Will be done Friday, if nothing comes up, and will start putting it together this weekend. Hopefully...
Old 06-23-2009, 11:17 AM

Last photo:

Had a chance to upgrade the springs on my vortec heads last night.

Removed the inner dampers (too much seat pressure).

The stock spring (right) compared to the beefy upgrade spring (left) which are Lunati.

Good ole spring compressor. Compress, remove keepers, decompress, remove retainer, spring, install need spring, the retainer, compress, install keepers with even spacers between gaps, and decompress.

Heads ready to rock!

Old 06-23-2009, 10:02 PM

Last photo:

Looks like your doing great on the bug. Mine was tell last week. I like nailed it a little to much. I had to pull the top end back off. Blew a head gasket,lots of water in the pan. But not bad,its like been build 8 months now. It will be back out on the street soon. I will try to attach a few pictures. But sorry I do not have any on the finished bug. One guy did show up 2 weeks ago at my shop, from south Houston with pictures and questions. He just starting to build a 283 bug. Looking forward in seeing you guys at some of the Houston shows soon. I have seen a few nice original bugs,need more V8 ones. LATER !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bug.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	38930   Click image for larger version

Name:	bug12.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	38931   Click image for larger version

Name:	bugg8.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	38932   Click image for larger version

Name:	bugg (2).jpg
Views:	296
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	38933  
Old 06-24-2009, 10:29 AM

Last photo:

Good to hear from you again. Sorry to hear about the blown head gasket. A guy on the v8bugs.com forum has a blown bug as well and blow his head gasket. Is that picture of the rear of the bug one of the finished pictures? Your car looks great. Would you happen to know anyone in town that could bend a roll bar? I still want to come check your bug out one of these days. Hopefully we'll be running into each other at car shows next year. TTYL.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:18 PM

Last photo:

Well Guy your welcome to stop bye. My shop is like off FM 1960, about 3/4 mile from FM 249. Near willow brook mall. Give us a ring when your in the area.
We are in and out. But were easy to find. We show up a lot,mostly at the sat night Cypress shows. If you have not see the bug. You should remember seeing our shop truck. As far as knowing anyone in the N.W. Houston area that does roll bars. I know of a few. Let me know when your ready,I will give you a few names. But I build my own. The bugs got a 6 point in it,but thinking on making it a 8 point. It does also have the headliner in it. We have also build roll bars in several other cars and trucks. At the moment we are narrowing the rear frame on a 66 Ford fairlane. to make room for the slicks. We have most of it complete. Its got a 10 point cage. We bent and installed all of it. What part of Cypress are you in. I have a friend that has a place like 290 and mueschke rd. Im out there a lot on weekends. Well anyway keep up the good work. Check out my shop trucks I will attach a picture. Later !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	50ford2.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	38938   Click image for larger version

Name:	52 mercury1.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	38939  
Old 07-06-2009, 08:24 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot
Well Guy your welcome to stop bye. My shop is like off FM 1960, about 3/4 mile from FM 249. Near willow brook mall. Give us a ring when your in the area.
We are in and out. But were easy to find. We show up a lot,mostly at the sat night Cypress shows. If you have not see the bug. You should remember seeing our shop truck. As far as knowing anyone in the N.W. Houston area that does roll bars. I know of a few. Let me know when your ready,I will give you a few names. But I build my own. The bugs got a 6 point in it,but thinking on making it a 8 point. It does also have the headliner in it. We have also build roll bars in several other cars and trucks. At the moment we are narrowing the rear frame on a 66 Ford fairlane. to make room for the slicks. We have most of it complete. Its got a 10 point cage. We bent and installed all of it. What part of Cypress are you in. I have a friend that has a place like 290 and mueschke rd. Im out there a lot on weekends. Well anyway keep up the good work. Check out my shop trucks I will attach a picture. Later !
Sounds good. I'll contact you once I'm ready to tackle the cage.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:24 AM

Last photo:

Finally, got my engine block and rotating assembly back from the machine shop. Had it hot tanked, magnafluxed, decks set to 9.020, hone, new pistons pressed, 383 ARP rod bolts pressed in, rods resized, and the rotating assembly balanced. Total cost was $590. Looks like they did a great job.

I started the pre-assembly process. I had enough time to plastigage the main bearings and I'm working on plastigaging the rod bearings. So far the mains have come out to a hair under .002 clearance. Once I get all the rod bearings checked I'll then clearance the block for the larger stroke crank and check cam clearance. So far it looks the rods are clearing just fine. I'll check with a feeler gauge to make sure I have at least .050 clearance.

More later...
Old 07-24-2009, 08:55 AM

Last photo:

Quick update...

I got all my parts back from the machine shop, again. I had them check to make sure I didn't knock any of big rod ends out of round by using the brass hammer. They checked out fine. I had to order a new piston because one got away from me and hit the ground. :o So it then didn't want to go back into the bore smoothly. Seems it was out of round. I had the new piston pressed on the rod. I also managed to buger up the rod journal during pre-assembly because the rod caps were hard to get off. So I had it polish and it pretty much got rid of the scratch. Last but not least, the machine shop figured out why I couldn't get the #3&4 pistons on the rod journals. I had the wrong bearings. Apparently you have to have narrowed bearings because of the extra fillet machined on the journals that give it extra strength. I wasn't too upset I had to buy another set of bearings because I now have some Clevite 77 high performance mains / rod bearings now rather than the cheap Summit bearings. This thing is now going from a cheap project to an expensive one. LOL!

So all those problems were taken care of. This past week I took the engine block to the car wash to give it a good bath. I wanted to make sure I got it super clean just to be sure there's no left over metal in the block from machining. I had some help from my fiancé's brother.

Austin wiping the bores down, after hosing it with a can of WD-40, giving it the "paper towel test". I cleaned the block with an engine cleaning brush kit.

When I got the block back from the machine shop I had them leave it bare. No plugs, cam bearings, nothing, because I wanted to install everything myself so I can learn. Months ago I bought a cheap cam tool from summit (summit brand tool). So I gave installing the bearings a try. Well, I managed to ruin a set of bearings and had to remove them because I was using the tool wrong, I think? To remove one of the stubborn bearings I had to put a screw driver through the oil hole and bang out the bearing that way which bent the bearing into itself. Needless to say, I got some bearing shavings in the block. So I had to the load the block back up for another wash. I then had to buy a new set of bearings, which is fine cause I bought a better brand / set (I had a summit bearing set), and I then modified the cam tool. It worked a lot better and thought it should've came the way I made it work. ;D I'll take some pics and show you the mods.

Any who, cam bearings are in, I masked off the engine and painted the block black, knocked in the freeze plugs, and trial fitted the cam. So far everything is going smoothly, for now. ;D

This weekend I'm going to try and have the short block assembled and sealed up. Just like the machinist told me, "You might accidentally get this thing together after all!"
Old 07-27-2009, 11:52 AM

VW Fiberglass

Does anyone know of suppliers of aftermarket hoods and front fenders for bugs? I think Spectre in WI does have some peices, has anyone used his parts? Fit? Finish? Price? I want to retro the front end...40 Ford, etc and gain some room to boot...kinda a 5/8 scale gasser. I appreciate all replies.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.