V8 1973 VW Beetle Project - Page 32 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Projects/Builds/My Ride
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2009, 08:44 AM
VW makes it, Chevy shakes it..

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstream
Does anyone know of suppliers of aftermarket hoods and front fenders for bugs? I think Spectre in WI does have some peices, has anyone used his parts? Fit? Finish? Price? I want to retro the front end...40 Ford, etc and gain some room to boot...kinda a 5/8 scale gasser. I appreciate all replies.

I'm not quite sure. Check with the guys on volksrods.com. They might know. Craigslist is another good place to find such parts.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2009, 08:45 AM

Last photo:

Here we go. Here's some pictures of the build.

Here's what the crank looked like when I got it back from getting it polished after I boogered up the crank (small scratch). When I got to the machine shop I thought, "Wow, what kind of crank is that with the gold journals?" Haha.

I wish I would've take a few more pictures while we were building, but I was so into the build the last thing on my mind was taking pictures. The day flew by fast.

This last picture the intake, valve covers, carb, and air cleaner are all just sitting there. I was anxious to see how it would look.

I'm going to work on it some more throughout the week and I'll hopefully have it finished by the weekend. Putting an engine together takes much longer than I thought.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:55 AM

Last photo:

Just about finished. All that's left to do is add the cam break in oil suppliment and Rotella T oil, prime the oil system, install the distributor, install carb / air cleaner, press on the damper, install lower pulley, and setup the alternator.

The plan is to get these things done during this week.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:38 PM

Last photo:

Almost there. I'm so close to finishing I can here it start. This past weekend I moved into my new house so I really didn't have too much time to work on it. Also, part of the hold up is I'm having to search for a 7/16-20 4" grade 8 bolt to hold on the harmonic damper, also so I can rotate the engine while priming it and so I can set the #1 piston to TDC so I can drop in dizzy and set the initial timing . Other than that it's about 98% complete.

This weekend, hopefully Saturday, I'm going to drop the engine in the bug for the first time. Mainly cause I have to get it out of the complex by the end of the month. So my goal is to get it home this weekend which is right down the street. I've installed the motor mounts and frame pads, not pictured, and the engine is just about ready to be dropped in.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:35 PM

hello there I have read all of this thread I got ahold of it in search of someone making the same thing as I would like to I own a 1973 1303 super beetle as well I bought the car with the idea of restoring it with a little more powerful flat four.
then started searching I had already knew you could drop a v8 into a beetle but was not sure if this could be obtained due to the mcpherson supsension.
so now that I have seen your thread i am hiped up to start on mine.
I have the basics of how to work on vehicles as well as fab but no where near what you have shown your skills to be.
I'm in the process of building my other daily driver at the moment and when I'm doine with that I am hoping to jump onto my vw project.
wanted to drop in and tell you this is the greates thread I have read keep up the good work and hope to see it done soon and I hope you don't mind I might print out some of your pics and suggestions on everything you have done to put on record so I can go back and hopefully be able to acomplish.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:51 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for checking out my build and for the compliments. By all means print and save whatever pictures you would like. You might want to check out V8bugs.com because there's many V8 build on their and you can get more ideas how to build one. There's a guy on there from across the pond that built a V8 bug using the 1303 body. He build a tube frame right into the body and made use of the stock strut mount location for his suspension.

When I started this build had very little knowledge or experience building a car. I took shop in high school in which I learned to weld a little with a stick welder.

Feel free to ask questions along the way when you start your build.

TTYL,
Matt
Old 08-24-2009, 08:56 AM

Last photo:

Well, the plan was to get it in this weekend. If it isn't one thing it's another. I didn't get the motor in this weekend much less did I get the car home. My old man and I couldn't get a hold of my uncle whom has the engine hoist we need to borrow. So the move was put off until next weekend. I'm going to try and borrow one from my mechanic. So hopefully I'll get it home sooner than this weekend.

Some pics of the engine 98% complete. Just need to install small stuff like vacuum hose for the dist., pcv valve, put the oil sender unit back in (manual one installed for pre-oil which is pictured).

Old 08-27-2009, 08:23 AM

Last photo:

So I got the engine in last night. It's finally a V8 bug. Haha.

I've managed to get one bolt completely through the mount and the other is in but not through the back of the metal mount plate. I've got to move the rear of the engine about an inch towards the passenger side so it can go all the way through.

On another note, the engine fits great but I'll have to raise the body about 3" to clear the breather and the alternator. Seems dropping the body 6" around the frame was a tad too much. I might have to buy me a lower mounting alternator bracket for a short water pump. Maybe the one I have will fit after I raise the body, but we'll see.

One great thing is the dist. clears the wiper motor compartment by about 2". That's with the motor all the way forward in the mounts so I've got a little wiggle room to move the engine back slightly if needed.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:08 PM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Looking real good with a nice smallblock stuffed in there.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:46 AM

It sure is coming out nice and the best part of it im going to get to see it in person. I'm going to look around for a extra MSD box I have I think not unless my son sold it. Would you want to place one on it? I will let you have it dirt cheap since I want that bad boy to get after it.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:43 PM
Im trying to have an idea!

Last photo:

good looking assembly you have here. Did you use assembly lube when you pu that engine together?
Old 08-31-2009, 08:06 AM

Last photo:

Thanks guys.

GMC - Send me a PM and let me know how much you want for the MSD box. I appreciate it! I'll keep you posted once it's ready for it's first run at the track.

MRGM - I sure did. I used Clevite 77 assembly lube. The thick red stuff. I lubed all the bearings real good, and anything that was bare metal on bare metal (push rod ends, lifter cups, valve tips, rocker balls, fuel pump rod, etc.). I also primed the entire system and rotated the crank a little at a time. So it'll be good for break-in.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:57 AM

Last photo:

Well, I got the bug home and finally got everything out of the garage. I'm finally out of the apt complex. I threw away quite a bit of stuff (vent windows, spare rotors / spindles, s10 steering linkage, power steering box, etc.) because I ran out of time and space even though I have a two car garage. The fiancé likes to park her car in the garage.

Here's a couple pics of us moving it and securing her down. That's my old man, the bald guy is my half uncle, and the boy is his son.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:59 PM

Alternator Mount

Alternator Mount
Or this

Maybe a mount like these would work for you.

Krusty
Old 09-07-2009, 08:35 PM
Im trying to have an idea!

Last photo:

those wheels are huge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.