V8 1973 VW Beetle Project - Page 35 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Projects/Builds/My Ride
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2009, 07:19 PM

Last journal entry: Little Progress, Now i have a plan
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Wow, almost ready to run! I wish my project was that far along.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2009, 07:32 AM
VW makes it, Chevy shakes it..

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81Meano
Wow, almost ready to run! I wish my project was that far along.
It's just about ready to move under it's own power, but it's still far from finished.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:26 PM

Last photo:

Hey Looks Like you are making some good progress

I got my body mounted, engine and trans mounted. Master cylinder and Radiator. It all fits under the hood without a air cleaner. Also framed in the floor and dash. I started a web site at www.v8vwbug.9f.com.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bug front.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	41261   Click image for larger version

Name:	bug int..JPG
Views:	360
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	41262  
Old 10-16-2009, 12:54 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marnell79
I got my body mounted, engine and trans mounted. Master cylinder and Radiator. It all fits under the hood without a air cleaner. Also framed in the floor and dash. I started a web site at www.v8vwbug.9f.com.
It's coming along nicely! Congrats on the new house. Do you have any side shots of your bug at this stage? Keep it coming.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:40 PM

Last photo:

Thanks, It was nice last night working in a garage while it was snowing and not having to be in the driveway. I will post some more pictures soon.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:15 AM

Last photo:

Small update. I didn't get as much time to work on the bug as I thought I would this weekend.

My low mount alternator bracket came in and seems it wont work either. The steering box is in the way. I'm not sure what my options are now for an alt bracket. I might just have to make one.

My radiator and fan came in so I started mocking it up to see if I can get it up front. I trimmed more of the front clip sheet metal away and squeezed it in, so to speak.

As you can see it goes in, but I don't think I'll have room to close the hood unless the radiator is sticking out the bottom by about 3". Even a little more so than in the picture. Also, from the looks of it, another problem is there's not enough room to squeeze in the electric fan. I'm going to see what I can do the make it work, but it's looking like it would be best and easier to set up the radiator in the back.

Any thoughts, suggestions?
Old 10-20-2009, 01:07 PM

Last photo:

Hello fellow houstonian, I have read through the majority of your thread here and like what i see. I'm currently building a "Pro-street" look beetle on an 87 s-10 chassis. I'll get into the detais later in my own thread if i have time.

I believe the best way to run your cooling system is w/ the radiator in the rear. No matter how you set it up, orientation and flow, you may consider adding an aditional flow pump in line. I work for GM at a local chevy dealer and can tell you that the added friction of heater/cooling hose will very quickly be too much for the pumps output at idle. You can see evidence of this on a tahoe/suburban w/ rear heat. The heater hardly operates at idle, but w/ the engine at 1500 R's and up the flow will get the hot coolant to the rear.

To recap - don't rely completely on the engine powered pump if you are running the radiators in the rear - yet the rear seems the only place to run them.

also look in to front engine bracketry from the 98-04 vette for the front of your engine. (i would slide mine back an inch or soo too)

hope i helped a little and if you need some help or info feel free to PM - i don't have much time for this internet stuff but i'll do my best to help out if/when i can.

good luck and congrats on a cool buggy so far

Hybridr-tele
Old 10-20-2009, 01:51 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYBRIDR-TELE
Hello fellow houstonian, I have read through the majority of your thread here and like what i see. I'm currently building a "Pro-street" look beetle on an 87 s-10 chassis. I'll get into the detais later in my own thread if i have time.

I believe the best way to run your cooling system is w/ the radiator in the rear. No matter how you set it up, orientation and flow, you may consider adding an aditional flow pump in line. I work for GM at a local chevy dealer and can tell you that the added friction of heater/cooling hose will very quickly be too much for the pumps output at idle. You can see evidence of this on a tahoe/suburban w/ rear heat. The heater hardly operates at idle, but w/ the engine at 1500 R's and up the flow will get the hot coolant to the rear.

To recap - don't rely completely on the engine powered pump if you are running the radiators in the rear - yet the rear seems the only place to run them.

also look in to front engine bracketry from the 98-04 vette for the front of your engine. (i would slide mine back an inch or soo too)

hope i helped a little and if you need some help or info feel free to PM - i don't have much time for this internet stuff but i'll do my best to help out if/when i can.

good luck and congrats on a cool buggy so far

Hybridr-tele
Thanks for the help. I think I'm going to do just that, what you recommended. Where about are you located in Houston?
Old 10-20-2009, 02:02 PM

Last photo:

FRY ROAD AND HWY 290....

i just came across a manual steering rack off a new body Cobalt if you are interested. I'm planning on running mine w/ manual steering so i don't have to screw w/ the pump and the plumbing of the power steering.

If you want the steering rack its yours free... i have two of them w/ tie rods and all
Old 10-20-2009, 02:09 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
FRY ROAD AND HWY 290....

i just came across a manual steering rack off a new body Cobalt if you are interested. I'm planning on running mine w/ manual steering so i don't have to screw w/ the pump and the plumbing of the power steering.

If you want the steering rack its yours free... i have two of them w/ tie rods and all
You're close. I'm off Barker Cypress and 290. I'll have to come check out your project some.

Thanks for the offer, but I have a manual box already. I agree, it's one less thing you have to worry about hooking up going with manual. I would take the rack off your hands only if the radiator fit without the steering box in the way. I went home during lunch to see if it would but it didn't.

Oh well, on to fitting the radiator in the rear.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:14 PM

Last photo:

TALKING bout a steering rack... not gear - i recall reading you were using a gearbox ( i may be mistaken, i didn't read everything thoroughly )

see pic of the two i just snagged at work (if it shows, first time posting here)

i work at the chevy place right near you (i chose not to post the name)

more of a project for you, but more room w/ a rack if you feel like workin it in.

*EDIT* - I misread - i didn't catch that even w/ a rack u have no room
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00082.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	41382  
Old 10-20-2009, 02:26 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
TALKING bout a steering rack... not gear - i recall reading you were using a gearbox ( i may be mistaken, i didn't read everything thoroughly )

see pic of the two i just snagged at work (if it shows, first time posting here)

i work at the chevy place right near you (i chose not to post the name)

more of a project for you, but more room w/ a rack if you feel like workin it in.

*EDIT* - I misread - i didn't catch that even w/ a rack u have no room
I'm just curious, would there be any narrowing or modifications I would have to make to the rack or spindles to make the rack work? Or would it bolt right up once I've fabricated a mount for the rack?

I'll play with the radiator some more tonight just to make sure I can't squeeze the radiator and fan in. I can move the engine back about half an inch and see if that would do it.

Thanks.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:33 PM

Last photo:

I don't have a clue on the fitment just yet - i just got them so i haven't had time to mock them up.

If the rod ends have to be shortened a little it's easy to hack a bit off, and if they have to be extended a lot it should be simple to adapt the s-10 outer rod to the cobalt inner - there is a grey area of fitment that i'm not sure of and would have to be mocked in place to measure out.

its free if you want it - if it doesn't work out, throw it in the trash

lmk

l8r

HybridR-Tele
Old 10-20-2009, 02:42 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I don't have a clue on the fitment just yet - i just got them so i haven't had time to mock them up.

If the rod ends have to be shortened a little it's easy to hack a bit off, and if they have to be extended a lot it should be simple to adapt the s-10 outer rod to the cobalt inner - there is a grey area of fitment that i'm not sure of and would have to be mocked in place to measure out.

its free if you want it - if it doesn't work out, throw it in the trash

lmk

l8r

HybridR-Tele
True. PM sent.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:16 AM

Last photo:

Did a little work last night. Mainly mocking up trying to figure things out which hopefully you guys can help.

I mounted the fan to the radiator. Do you think I'll need a shroud if I'll have a duct drawing air from under the car? See duct explanation below.

I picked up a manual rack from Matt, whom is building a V8 bug out of a S10 chassis believe it or not, and I'm going to see if I can't make it work. Seems like it might. Cross your fingers. Thanks, Matt!

With the steering box out of the way, in hopes the rack works out, I had enough room to mount my alternator with the low mount bracket I recently bought. High five!

Next, I mocked up the placement of the radiator out back. I'd like to mount it like the last picture, on an incline, so I can make the duct work better, I think. Also, what do you guys think about mounting it inclined and having an inline radiator filler neck in the engine compartment close by the top water neck that comes from the intake? Like the one pictured below. Do you think that would create any problems just keeping the rear cap on and filling the radiator using the inline neck? If I mount it at angle it'll be hard to access the radiator filler neck.

If worse comes to worse I'll mount it like the other picture.

The duct work will look like this, somewhat. Less boxy looking though.

All thoughts and opinions are welcome.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.