V8 1973 VW Beetle Project - Page 36 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Projects/Builds/My Ride
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2009, 09:30 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I think it will work ... I ran that rad in my rat rod...You should be OK,, I would put the duct.... I don't think you will need a shroud...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2009, 09:40 AM
VW makes it, Chevy shakes it..

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
I think it will work ... I ran that rad in my rat rod...You should be OK,, I would put the duct.... I don't think you will need a shroud...
Sounds good to me. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:48 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Super Beetle
Sounds good to me. Thanks for the feedback.
You can always add the shroud if needed..
Your fan already covers more then 80% of your rad..
Old 10-21-2009, 09:54 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
You can always add the shroud if needed..
Your fan already covers more then 80% of your rad..
That's what I was thinking. The fan covers a majority of the rad. There wouldn't be much of a shroud. Thanks again!
Old 10-21-2009, 11:18 AM

Last photo:

NO SHROUD IS NEEDED - THE OUTER EDGE OF YOUR FAN IS THE SHROUD. ITS IS NEAR FLUSH TO THE RADIATOR SO A SHROUD WOULD ONLY DIRECT AIR AFTER THE FAN, NOT INCREASE COOLING. IF THE FAN WERE MOUNTED AWAY FROM THE RADIATOR, LEAVING A GAP TO FILL, THEN A SHROUD WOULD BE NEEDED. HAVING A FAN IN A POSITION AWAY FROM THE RADIATOR AND THEN SHROUDING UP TO THE FULL SURROUND OF THE COOLING FINS WOULD BE OPTIMUM, BUT YOU DON'T HAVE THE ROOM FOR IT.

THE INLINE COOLING FILL NECK IS A GREAT IDEA.

JUST REMEMBER THAT THE FILLER MUST BE AT THE HIGHEST POINT IN THE COOLING SYSTEM, OR THE HIGHEST POINT MUST HAVE A BLEEDER. YOU MAY ALSO STILL HAVE TO USE A VACUUM POWERED COOLING SYSTEM FILL TOOL.

CHEERS ... KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK AND I'LL KEEP MY EYE OUT FOR MORE BITS AND PIECES
Old 10-21-2009, 11:59 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYBRIDR-TELE
NO SHROUD IS NEEDED - THE OUTER EDGE OF YOUR FAN IS THE SHROUD. ITS IS NEAR FLUSH TO THE RADIATOR SO A SHROUD WOULD ONLY DIRECT AIR AFTER THE FAN, NOT INCREASE COOLING. IF THE FAN WERE MOUNTED AWAY FROM THE RADIATOR, LEAVING A GAP TO FILL, THEN A SHROUD WOULD BE NEEDED. HAVING A FAN IN A POSITION AWAY FROM THE RADIATOR AND THEN SHROUDING UP TO THE FULL SURROUND OF THE COOLING FINS WOULD BE OPTIMUM, BUT YOU DON'T HAVE THE ROOM FOR IT.

THE INLINE COOLING FILL NECK IS A GREAT IDEA.

JUST REMEMBER THAT THE FILLER MUST BE AT THE HIGHEST POINT IN THE COOLING SYSTEM, OR THE HIGHEST POINT MUST HAVE A BLEEDER. YOU MAY ALSO STILL HAVE TO USE A VACUUM POWERED COOLING SYSTEM FILL TOOL.

CHEERS ... KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK AND I'LL KEEP MY EYE OUT FOR MORE BITS AND PIECES
Thanks, that makes since. I'll look into seeing if there's not a scrap piece of aluminum I could use here at work to construct a shroud. If not, I'll see how it does without one. I can always add one a little later on.

Is that something any service station could do, or you could help me out with? The vacuum system fill.

Keep me posted on your project. I'll send you some v8 bug links here in a moment.

I appreciate all your help!
Old 10-21-2009, 01:33 PM

Last photo:

THE VAC-FILL IS A TOOL I'LL SHOW YOU HOW TO USE / LET YOU BORROW WHEN THE TIME COMES. WE USE IT TO GET AIR POCKETS OUT OF THE OLD LS1 MOTORS CUZ THEY ARE A MUTHER TO GET ALL THE AIR OUT OF.

THANKS FOR THE LINKS.... PRIMO
Old 10-21-2009, 02:34 PM

Last photo:

awesome post I have just spent a couple hours at work reading it instead of working! Thanks!
Old 10-21-2009, 09:28 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,009 Times in 848 Posts
Most any RV supply store will have a selection of 12v water pumps you can use to transfer coolant to and from the rear.

About the r&p. I think you're gonna be in trouble with bump steer. You can't go puttin' any old rack in there and you can't go whittlin' on the tie rods to make it fit. Do as you please, but I've been there, done that and I think you're settin' yourself up for a letdown. Keep the stock steering in it is my best advice.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:43 PM

Last photo:

I'm really not sure how the rack will work on the street.. But I did put a rack on this S-10.. I had to change the whole front clip,, he hit the wall at over 100 mph,, Fixed it for him.. Put the rack back on.. And he has been running low 10's for this whole season now with out any trouble.. Now That is only on the track... Now sure how it would do on the street.. But it's like tech said,, you may end up with bump steer.. Not sure.. it did work good for the track..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0345.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	41399   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0356.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	41400  
Old 10-22-2009, 08:51 AM

Last photo:

THANKS for all the help and suggestions. I'm actually reconsidering my original radiator setup plan.

New plan. I'm going to lay the radiator flat / horizontal and use the factory vents that take advantage of the low pressure system behind the car to draw air into the "engine compartment to cool the air cooled engine, but in my case it'll cool the radiator. Also, I'll build some ductwork to direct the airflow through the radiator and out of the underside of the car which, in my mind, will keep the hot air from the exhaust and engine out.

Lastly, if I find myself in need of a little more air flow to radiator I'll get some deck lid stand offs.

I'm thinking I might not need them because the later model vw deck lids have vents to increase air flow, or is it to let hot air out from the engine?

Old 10-22-2009, 08:53 AM

Last photo:

I appreciate your input Tech! If the rack doesn't work out because of the bump steer issue I'll go back to the stock steering box / linkage.

I think it would be worth the try.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:09 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Super Beetle
THANKS for all the help and suggestions. I'm actually reconsidering my original radiator setup plan.

New plan. I'm going to lay the radiator flat / horizontal and use the factory vents that take advantage of the low pressure system behind the car to draw air into the "engine compartment to cool the air cooled engine, but in my case it'll cool the radiator. Also, I'll build some ductwork to direct the airflow through the radiator and out of the underside of the car which, in my mind, will keep the hot air from the exhaust and engine out.

Super Beetle,, Not trying to tell you how to build your car,, But I think you will get much better results if you make the air flow go the opposite way you have it...The air traveling over the top of the car, will not want to turn into the vent, But it may try to suck it out of the vent... I really believe that you can pull more air from the bottom like you planned from the beginning with a small duct facing forward.. You can still keep it flat,, just make the air come out the vent instead..... Just a thought..

Last edited by NEW INTERIORS; 10-22-2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:11 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Super Beetle,, Not trying to tell you how to build your car,, But I think you will get much better results if you make the air flow go the opposite way you have it...The air traveling over the top of the car, will not want to turn into the vent, But it may try to suck it out of the vent... I really believe that you can pull more air from the bottom like you planned from the beginning with a small duct facing forward.. You can still keep it flat,, just make the air come out the vent instead..... Just a thought..
Thanks for looking out. I thought it was the better way too. I did some posting on some vw sites and it was brought to my attention that the vents in the back of the car are in a low pressure area and they're there to draw in air to cool the air cooled engine. Must work well enough to actually cool and engine.

It was also brought to my attention that an opposite effect might go on doing the scoop from under the car. I put together an illustration how I'm guessing it would work. I'm not an expert at aerodynamics, but it seems to make sense. I do watch Discovery channel from time to time. Nothing is set in stone at this point which is why I'm asking for feedback to come up with the best possible solution.

On a side note, it must work well for this car that's putting out more hp than mine will.

http://www.scottstreetrods.com/patrioticVW.htm

Old 10-22-2009, 11:13 AM

I was thinking the same think. The air is going the wrong way in that picture!
I like the Idea of the horizontal radiator and using the factory air outlets.
I just dont think air flowing top to bottom will work since the hot air is trying to get up anyway plus the shape of the body should create a nice draft to help sucking the hot air out. Just my opinion.

Tomi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.