V8 1973 VW Beetle Project - Page 38 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Projects/Builds/My Ride
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2009, 10:53 AM
VW makes it, Chevy shakes it..

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks zbhover and speedfoos! Post some pics when you get the chance ZB.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2009, 02:53 PM

Last journal entry: Well finally got something different for a project...
Last photo:

Projects looking good, congrats man on your marriage.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:55 PM

Last photo:

where did you get your cage?
Old 12-14-2009, 08:18 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsch25
Projects looking good, congrats man on your marriage.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marnell79
where did you get your cage?
I bought it from swracecars.com. Here's the link to the cage I bought.

http://www.swracecars.com/store/10-P...8=11-5550.aspx

Part # is 11-5550. It's $249.99. Shipping to my work was a little under $100

I hope this helps!
Old 12-21-2009, 09:28 AM

Last photo:

Hey guys, got an update. I borrowed the wifey's camera for this set of photos.

Before I begin, I just wanted to let everyone know I found out last weekend that my wife is pregnant!!! We're both very excited and now I need to really kick this project into overdrive. I want to have it finished before the baby comes, because quite frankly, my project funds will be reduced to just about nothing. I can finish it in 8 months. No problem. I did joke with my wife, after making sure she knew I was happy and all about the baby, and I said, "OK, who's baby is it?" Comments like that is why she married me.

OK, I've finished welding up the firewall, floor, rear firewall, the floor support under the tail of the tranny and the steering mount. Also, I welded up and ground down the welds to one side of the roof / b-pillar. I also patched all the holes that were behind the dash in which the A/C / fresh air came through. There were about 5 good sized holes I had to patch.

It might not look like much but it was a ton of work.

The dash bar is kinda in the way, but you can see some of the patches. I plan to grind them smooth and I'll use some bondo to give it a clean appearance. I don't plan to put the dash back in. I'll mount my gauges to the dash bar for that racey look.

Here's part of the floor support that I had to cut out so the tail of the tranny would have room. A lot of this project I've kinda guestimated how things will fit and have prayed it works out once I go to put the part in. So far I've done a decent job at guessing. Here I had to make a small adjustment. I basically cut it out and exstentded it down. Obviously...

I also got a good used balanced drive shaft. I'm going to see if our engineer / machinist can put it on his lath and help me shorten it in exchange for some graphics. He likes fooling with remote controled airplanes so he always needs some sort of decals made up.

I got a some extra spending money, after paying all those lovely property and homeowner association taxes, and bought a few things. I bought some starter bolts so I can finally put in my starter, a new fuel pump because I got the wrong one (I need one that doesn't have the fuel return line just to simply things), and last but not least I bought a new 750 cfm carb to replace the rebuilt 600 cfm edelbrock carb. The 600 cfm I originally got when I thought I was going to run the 283. Well, with an extra 100 ci I needed more carb. I did opt to buy a Summit Racing brand carb because I've read some good reviews about it and I like how it has black accented parts instead of chrome / gold.

Also, I have the funding to take the car to get the exhaust and radiator plumbing done. So hopefully I have time to do it this coming up weekend. That means I'll be able to finally start her up really soon. I still need to run the fuel and brake lines but that's not too big a task or expense.

Last but not least, Santa is bringing me some goodies.

A gas pedal, cable, carb brackets, wilwood brake pedal and master cylinder, a shifter and a racing harness...

After the holidays I'll be in a pretty good spot. The car will be pretty close to driveable. Here's a brake down of what will be left to be done with the 8 months time.

Things to get:
a sheet of 16 gauge metal $35
Seats $320
Another racing harness $60
tach $125
3 gauges (temp, volt, oil) $25
u-joint for steering $50
u-joint for drive shaft $15
seals for windows and doors $150
wiring harness $150
head lights $15
in light turn signal kit $15
new tail light lens $65
once piece window kit $125
new (to me) front glass $40-$50
brake line $15
fuel line $5
radiator hoses $15
gas tank hose to filler neck $5
tires $700
alignment $75
carpet $50
paint for the car body and wheels $400

Total to finish = $2435

Things to do:
run gas line
run brake lines
finish trans and drive shaft tunnel
finish radiator duct work
finish engine bay
finish back / gas tank firewall / flooring
make and weld in seatbelt tabs
mount seats
body work
paint
wire up the car
lay carpet
inspect / register
[font=Verdana]DRIVE!!!....[/font]

There's still a lot to do but I'm pretty sure I can get it all done in time. If you guys have any advice on inexpensive paint for the car body or find any deals feel free to let me know what you find. With the baby on the way I'm going to have to watching my spending. So I can't exactly get PPG or HOK paint. The pricing above is all for new stuff, but some of these parts used wont hurt either.

More soon...hopefully after the weekend...
Old 12-22-2009, 02:40 PM

Last journal entry: New Carb
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Super Beetle
Before I begin, I just wanted to let everyone know I found out last weekend that my wife is pregnant!!!

I did joke with my wife, after making sure she knew I was happy and all about the baby, and I said, "OK, who's baby is it?
Congratulations.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:55 PM
Im trying to have an idea!

Last photo:

good to have parts and good to hear about the kid coming.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:05 PM
9.82 @ 139mph

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

You may find these interesting/helpful.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:59 AM

Last photo:

Thanks guys!

406 Bug, I'm not seeing anything. Was it a link, or pictures?
Old 12-23-2009, 11:07 AM
9.82 @ 139mph

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Super Beetle
Thanks guys!

406 Bug, I'm not seeing anything. Was it a link, or pictures?
Sorry, I tried to post pictures of my bug project . a bunch of chassis pics showing details of suspension , cage etc. Its all cromemoly round tube construction, full cage, Srtange strut front susp., narrowed 9" rear, 550hp 406 up front with t-400 full manual with reverse pattern shift.
I will try to get these pics posted (my computer skills are lacking).
Old 12-23-2009, 12:00 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406 bug
Sorry, I tried to post pictures of my bug project . a bunch of chassis pics showing details of suspension , cage etc. Its all cromemoly round tube construction, full cage, Srtange strut front susp., narrowed 9" rear, 550hp 406 up front with t-400 full manual with reverse pattern shift.
I will try to get these pics posted (my computer skills are lacking).
Wow, sounds like an awesome ride! Try using the "Manage Attachments" button below the message box. In the box named "Additional Options".

You might want to check out v8bugs.com, cool v8 bug site and builds there.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:07 AM

Last photo:

Well, it was a great Christmas and I hope everyone's was a great one too! I got my parts from Santa, haha, and I spent all day Saturday going back and forth to get the exhaust work and plumbing done on the car.

These guys did a really good job. The son of the owner did the work. He's been doing custom exhaust work since he was 8 or so, seriously. I think he's around 19 now. They charged me $300 for everything. I provided the FlowMasters. Here are some pictures of the exhaust and plumbing.

He brought the plumbing right up to the pump. You can also see the replacement fuel pump (I changed out the one with the fuel return to simply things).

As you can see there is some pretty tight clearances. This guy worked wonders getting the plumbing around the engine and even around the oil filter. The only thing I'm bummed about is there's not enough room to add my stall dust cover. I completely forgot about that. Oh well.

Plumbing all the way back to the radiator.

Here's the start of the other side of the plumbing.

The exhaust was hung how a typical V8 S10 dual exhaust would be done, but instead of having him run the exhaust all the way back out the rear I had him dump it for simplicity sake.

And here's where the other side of the plumbing ends. Right up to the radiator.

Here's a pic with the new 750 carb installed. Looks great.

More to come soon. Hopefully a video of it running!!!

Old 01-04-2010, 07:54 AM

Last photo:

I got some more work done this weekend.

I spent I good amount of time searching for the right radiator hoses to button up the plumbing on the car. I also got all the PCV, vacuum and rubber fuel line ready to go. I still need to run a gas line from the tank to the pump though. I also installed the steering box, the steering column (to see how things line up once again), and I mocked up my master cylinder, brake pedal and gas pedal (forgot to take pictures of that. I'll get some up soon). Last but not least, I got the starter installed.

Here are some pics with the hoses tightened and ready for the first start up which is yet to come.

Here you can see I need to get a different water neck because it makes it want to stick up. I found a 360 water neck from Summit I'm going to order. That way I can angle the hose further away from the engine and so it'll tuck under the hook nicely. I'll have to think of a way to secure it which wont be much of a problem.

Here's the 360 neck.

I installed the steering box and drilled a hole so the steering shaft came go through the firewall. The steering wheel mounts in the stock location.

Here you can see where the master cylinder will be. I was mocking up the pedal placement and found that because the foot space is so tight I'll have to gas with the right foot and brake with the left foot. That's how you power brake it anyways. I also plan to just completely cut out the wiper engine compartment. It's really not needed.

More soon.

Last edited by V8 Super Beetle; 01-04-2010 at 08:12 AM.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:46 AM

Last photo:

Cool Ride!

Very cool ride. I have a 1970 Bug with a mid-engine V8. I just purchased it late in 2009 so i have not had a lot of time to tweak it yet. This is actually a kit that was manufactured and I am trying to get more information on it. It utilizes a Corvair trans-axle set up. It currently is a 4 speed and it will rock and roll.

Here are a couple of pics....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SM 70v8 Frt.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	269.8 KB
ID:	43250   Click image for larger version

Name:	SM 70v8 Rear.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	273.5 KB
ID:	43251  
Old 01-16-2010, 07:09 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprayed 63
Very cool ride. I have a 1970 Bug with a mid-engine V8. I just purchased it late in 2009 so i have not had a lot of time to tweak it yet. This is actually a kit that was manufactured and I am trying to get more information on it. It utilizes a Corvair trans-axle set up. It currently is a 4 speed and it will rock and roll.

Here are a couple of pics....
I remember that car from the Dave & Ed's Swap Meet in Canfield. It was in the car corral. I wondered what they used for a trans. Cool car!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.