V8 1973 VW Beetle Project - Page 40 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Projects/Builds/My Ride
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2010, 06:06 AM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Maybe it is the angle the pictures are taken at, but one side looks like the linings are installed reversed.
In the first pic the leading shoe appears to be at the rear instead of at the front, the second pic appears correct.

Advertisement

Last edited by 1ownerT; 02-24-2010 at 06:15 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2010, 08:33 AM
VW makes it, Chevy shakes it..

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ownerT
Maybe it is the angle the pictures are taken at, but one side looks like the linings are installed reversed.
In the first pic the leading shoe appears to be at the rear instead of at the front, the second pic appears correct.
I'm glad I posted pics of the brakes. I've never done drums before and didn't even think of that, but yes, you're correct. I'll have to go back and fix that.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:34 AM

Last photo:

Man, it was brought to my attention I put the shoes on backwards on the passenger rear wheel. Haha. Oh well, gotta redo it.

The other night I welded in my 5-point harness mounting tabs. They're 1/4" thick and I used the 6"x 6"x 1/8" plates supplied with my roll cage, that I didn't use because it's welded to the frame, to reinforce where I mounted them. Should be plenty strong considering the flooring is 14 gauge and everything is all welded into one another (body, flooring, cage, frame, etc.).

Old 03-03-2010, 12:14 AM
9.82 @ 139mph

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

It has been interesting following your project, bet you are feeling good now that its almost complete. I mentioned some time back that I would try and post my BUG Pics. I have posted the chassis pics(3pages) under Member Galleries (406 bug ). I am in the final assembly stages now; should be complete next week. Hope you enjoy the pics.

Last edited by 406 bug; 03-03-2010 at 12:19 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:12 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406 bug
It has been interesting following your project, bet you are feeling good now that its almost complete. I mentioned some time back that I would try and post my BUG Pics. I have posted the chassis pics(3pages) under Member Galleries (406 bug ). I am in the final assembly stages now; should be complete next week. Hope you enjoy the pics.
Wow! Your chassis looks really great. Job well done.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:10 AM

Last photo:

Still pluggin' away! Got a few things accomplished this weekend.

Got the transmission tunnel and driveshaft tunnel made. I got some 18 gauge galvanized steel, cause that's all they had in 18 gauge, and a 3' section of 6" pipe. I needed something thin enough that I could bend on my own. I did take precautions to make sure I didn't get sick from welding galvanized steel. I had the garage wide open and a fan in front of my face the whole time. It also helped that it was windy out yesterday. So I cut out the steel using my patterns. For the driveshaft tunnel, I tacked the steel to the pipe and rolled the steel over it. For the tunnel, I just hand formed it over the pipe.

It can out really well. My pattern was a little off after doing some additional trimming cause the floor warped slightly from all the welding. So I had to make so relief cuts to the passenger side of the tunnel to get it to fit right. It's all fully welded up and very strong.

The car is a little cluttered inside at the moment cause I'm in the middle of hooking up my shifter. Just a few more things and the shifter will be finished.

I also got the throttle cable and pedal hooked up. It works very well, but as you can see, it's a tight fit.

The brakes are also hooked up and ready to rock! My brother came over after I got all new lines ran and hooked up, and we bled the system. It took forever to completely bleed the new system and to fix little leaks. The brake pedal is very firm and works great though. The rear brakes are stiffer than the front though. I got the pedal setup so the front brakes some in hard first, then the drums.

My only concern is the rear brakes line that goes to the master comes close to the exhaust manifold. Everything is so cramped in the engine bay with this S10 frame. I'll more than likely have to wrap the exhaust by the brake line.

Last but not least, I started working on the steering. I extended the shaft that goes to the steering box so the steering wheel will be closer to me and away from my knees. I just need to relocated the steering mount from the firewall to the dash bar and it'll be ready to rock.

Once the steering is done and the shifter is hooked up, all there is to do to drive her around the block is to run the gas line and to make a battery box! I hoping to have video up of the first drive this coming up weekend. Then I can finally move this thing out of the garage so I can clean up without having to need 3-4 people to push it back in. LOL!
Old 03-10-2010, 08:21 AM

Last photo:

Slowly checking off the To Do List. Trying to get this thing ready for a test drive this weekend.

Shifter...installed.

Things left to do.

1. Relocate steering column mount to dash bar.
2. Mount trans cooler.
3. Run fuel line.
4. Make battery tray.
5. Mount seat and harness.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:41 PM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Super Beetle
Slowly checking off the To Do List. Trying to get this thing ready for a test drive this weekend.

Shifter...installed.

Things left to do.

1. Relocate steering column mount to dash bar.
2. Mount trans cooler.
3. Run fuel line.
4. Make battery tray.
5. Mount seat and harness.

6. Check the weld on that steering shaft.
That is a weld I see in the previous post, is it not?
Sorry, it looks as though there is a weld lumped on top of the shaft.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:46 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy
6. Check the weld on that steering shaft.
That is a weld I see in the previous post, is it not?
Sorry, it looks as though there is a weld lumped on top of the shaft.
What about the steering shaft weld?
Old 03-10-2010, 02:31 PM
9.82 @ 139mph

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Super Beetle
What about the steering shaft weld?
Is that weld on the shaft a butt joint??. If so you may think about re doing by using a sleeve , to extend an inch or so on either side of the splice. Also, (just me) anytime I work on steering components, I tig weld to ensure good penetration. Want to see you come back in good shape after that first ride!!!!
Old 03-10-2010, 03:32 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406 bug
Is that weld on the shaft a butt joint??. If so you may think about re doing by using a sleeve , to extend an inch or so on either side of the splice. Also, (just me) anytime I work on steering components, I tig weld to ensure good penetration. Want to see you come back in good shape after that first ride!!!!

I would also like to see you come back in one piece.

If its a butt weld did you chamfer almost all the way to the center of each piece?
Old 03-10-2010, 03:43 PM

Last photo:

Hey guys, I'll give it a look.

Basically, the shaft with the rag joint on the end is a solid 3/4" double d shaft, and the extension is 3/4" pipe / steering shaft. When I welded it together I left about a 1/8" gap, clamped both rods in some angle iron and welded it up using my MIG with flux core wire at 125 amps. I don't think penetration is much of an issue. I even used a 5 lbs hammer to straighten it up a little, while it was hot, cause it slightly warped from welding it. It seems very strong.

If you feel I need to grind the welds and sleeve it, then I'll do that, but I think it's plenty strong. Although, I don't do this sort of thing for a living so I'm open to advice.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:32 PM

Last photo:

A sleeve is safe, but if you got red hot weld right thru it should be OK.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:50 AM

Last photo:

I appreciate the advice and help guys. See, I listen. For the 10-15 minutes time it took to sleeve it I'd say it's cheap insurance.

I ground down the existing weld, I cut out a 2" section out of some scrap steel I had laying around (the original fender support tubes that bolted to the S10 frame / fenders), slid on the sleeve and welded away at about 100 amps using flux core.

Here are the results.

Sleeved and plenty of penetration on the new sleeve. Should be VERY strong.

I also started working on mounting the column, but my grinder finally gave out after putting it to hard work for well over 2 years. Time to another.

I did manage to get the trans cooler mounted. Nope, I didn't weld near the trans cooler.

Thanks again for the suggestions guys!
Old 03-11-2010, 01:29 PM

Last photo:

Nice.

You don't have to worry about that cracking up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.