V8 1973 VW Beetle Project - Page 53 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Projects/Builds/My Ride
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2010, 08:43 AM
VW makes it, Chevy shakes it..

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by airboat
I respect someone that doesn't quit! very impressive! nice Job!
Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2010, 10:07 AM

Last photo:

Man your car looks awesome!! what a big diference!! with your booth set up did you get a lot of overspray coming out of the exhaust side of the booth??
Old 12-08-2010, 10:15 AM

Last photo:

Thanks! To be honest, I just hung plastic on all the walls and laid masking paper on the floor. I left the garage door wide open when I sprayed. I tried spraying on beautiful zero wind days. If I happen to be painting when it was dark, I hung a screen door I make out of five rolls of screen to keep bugs out. I used two box fans at the opening of the garage. The overspray didn't stick around long and I had plenty of ventilation. I did get some dust in my paint even after hosing the floor down, but color sanding, buffing and polishing took car of that.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:58 AM
Im trying to have an idea!

Last photo:

that does look great in the sun. under hood looks good. Need vid of it haulin down the street.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:52 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGM
that does look great in the sun. under hood looks good. Need vid of it haulin down the street.
I'll get one soon. I'm just trying to finish her up so I can take it to a safer place.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:34 PM

Last photo:

Supa Bug

Compliments on a great project Man. I'm sure it will be a blast to drive. If you can get it to hook, it will be a rice eater. olnolan
Old 12-20-2010, 09:48 AM

Last photo:

Thanks OLNOLAN! It'll be fun toying with them that's for sure.

Time for an update.

I coated the interior flooring and the under chassis with some Master Series. I installed my locking hood pins, my 2" solid aluminum lowering blocks and I finished the install of the one piece windows on both doors.

All that's left, other than small item things, is to wire up the car (lights / signals only cause everything else is done) and install the carpet.

Also, I took the car for a test drive last night cause I was curious as to how it sounds inside without a bunch of parts laying around the car and with all the windows in. All I could hear was the sound of the engine and the rumble of the exhaust. It was pretty sweet.

Some pics of the undercoating. I forgot to take pics of the front and undercarriage.

Here are the 2" blocks from JTR.com. Solid aluminum blocks. Not that extruded hollow crap that could break. It's amazing how much difference a 2" drop made in the rear. The rear is still about 3/4" higher which is perfect, to me.

The hardware is heavy duty too. Notice how tall the nuts are.

Some pics of the rear with the blocks. Made a big difference IMO.

And the one piece windows installed. Doors fully done. The one piece windows are kinda a PITA. I like the look, but I'm not sure I like how they function all that much because they want to pull the rubber inside the door when I roll them down. I hit them with a little WD-40 temporarily, but I'll have to figure something else out so my windows aren't always greasy when I roll them down.

I had some trouble installing them. The guy that sold me my new regulators said I needed 65-67 regulators for the one piece kit. Nope! Well, they wouldn't work cause the glass would hit the regulator on it's way down keeping it from rolling down at all. So I had to reuse the old ones and I modified the window scraper for the one piece windows. Works pretty good now.

The new dual roller regulator I wish would've worked. The window crank mechanism was too long.

Here's the modified window holder / scraper. I basically had to roll the window all the way up, then install the glass. If you install it while the window is rolled down it wont go up cause the regulator pushes the glass up at an angle.

Here's a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrY2vVlCNjw

One piece windows.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:48 AM

Last photo:

The finished doors. I couldn't install the are rests, well, cause the door bars are in the way. Hind sight is 20/20. I'm going to fabricate some pull straps so it'll be easier to close the doors instead of having to grab the window. Oh yeah, can't roll the windows down unless the doors are open either. LOL. They'll pretty much stay down while I'm rolling any ways.

It's not a garage build unless you got a lawnmower in the pics. LOL

Locking hood pins installed.

Here you can see the painted flooring.

Almost there.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:46 AM

Last photo:

Happy New Year
Old 01-07-2011, 09:55 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Happy New Year
Happy New Year to you as well. I hope the holidays were enjoyable.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:10 PM
Heathen

Last photo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lnHK...embedded#t=48s

Hope this link works. I'm only posting it cause the paint job caught my eye. Seems to be a pretty popular color combo.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:18 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lnHK...embedded#t=48s

Hope this link works. I'm only posting it cause the paint job caught my eye. Seems to be a pretty popular color combo.
Cool! Orange and black seem to be, but I've never seen one before with the two tone on a bug, which is why I did mine that way. I think they ripped me off a little.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:19 AM

Last photo:

Hey guys! I hope everyone's builds are going well.

Just poppin' in to update everyone. While I'm taking me a breather from the project I've started an O/T project. The only reason this is able to happen is because I'm selling my current gigging amp to fund the project.

I'm build a 50's era Fender Tweed Deluxe guitar tube amplifier from scratch. This is my first amp build and I'm doing it from scratch. I will be hand building my own cabinet and hand selecting each part that goes into this build. This amp will become my primary gigging amp. I play 2-3 a times month in a cover band and I feel this amp will fit the bill.

My tools and budget is fairly limited so I'll be building the cabinet with hand tools and will be borrowing a couple tools here and there from buddies / work to complete this project.

Here is the start of the cabinet. I'm using solid pine for the cab and birch ply for the baffle boards.

Here's how the finished product will look.

I drafted out all the cuts onto the wood and then cut the pieces on the table saw here at work. I'm currently working on hand cutting the dovetail joints. It's going okay. The joints fit together tightly and make a strong joint, but it's not as pretty as dovetail joints done by someone more experienced or by machine tools. That's okay though. It'll be my creation and I'm enjoying the build so far. I've built a few car sub cabs before and I was always best at covering the cab with carpet. So the end results should come out looking nice. I'll definitely be taking my time with this one.

I'm still mauling over certain mods for the layout of the circuitry and getting advice from more experience people. Whatever route I choose to go, it should be a pretty versatile amp for my needs.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:30 PM

Last photo:

how did i not get thispost. did you finish, have more pics? that is cool
Old 03-12-2011, 12:36 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
how did i not get thispost. did you finish, have more pics? that is cool
I did finish! Here's a link to the complete build.

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t23599/

Here are a couple pictures of it finish. I decided to cover it with carbon fiber.

It sounds fantastic, I might ad.

Here's a video of finished amp. I plan to get a video demo of it in the near future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=I9p3q9CW50Q

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.