Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - V8 1973 VW Beetle Project
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2009, 08:07 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Super Beetle
I widened the fenders 3" in the rear. That and I wanted to do it myself because of the challenge, which I've never done anything like this, and to be able to say when it's all said and done that I widened them myself.

JC Whitney doesn't even sell widened fenders. The cost of materials ($22 for bondo, $10 for 22 gauge sheet metal, $10 worth of sandpaper and $10 for welding rods = $52 total) is much less than the cost of repo or fiberglass fenders, which roughly cost $320+ with shipping. My time doesn't cost me anything. I know time is money in a sense but it's been a labor of love.

Now, if I was paying someone to widen them that would be a different story and I would agree.
How about placing fiberglass over the bondo so it won't start to crack im thinking that maybe it might because of the stress of the V/8 on the body just a thought while it's not painted yet. Also VW newer bugs have some real nice colors out there I seen one some time ago that it looked like if it had a pearl color to it I think it was green or purple in color it's been a while. And J.C. Whitney does have a lot of stuff for your bug.