Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - V8 1973 VW Beetle Project
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2009, 12:10 PM
VW makes it, Chevy shakes it..

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by marnell79
I dont know if mines a super and I only bought a body without the pan so i could not measure the wheelbase but i from what i could find it was 94.48inches. What do you think. i will try and post some pictures soon.
thanks
joe
There's a couple ways to tell if it's a super. On a super the spare tire sits flat in the trunk (or what now will be the engine bay). On a standard beetle the tire reclines up front. Also, the gas tank on a super is at an angle. A standard beetle's gas tank sits flat. Another is the super beetle has a strut front suspension in which you'll see where the struts used to bolt up. Super's are also known as fat chicks and have a bubble like trunk / hood. The front end (fenders, front clip) also are rounded. A standard's hood comes to a sharper point and the fenders and the front clip are flat. Supers normally come with a louvered front clip (under the hood and between the fenders). Last but not least, a 73+ super has a curved window and it sits further forward than a standards, although 71-72 supers have flat windshields.

Sounds like the wheelbase of a standard beetle which is 94.5". I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions a long the way and I'll do the best I can to help.