Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - V8 1973 VW Beetle Project
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2009, 03:57 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I Would Be More Inclined To Listen To Someone That Has The Experience W/ The Setup. - That Said I'd Mount It Horizontally Using A Blow Through (down) Fan Spaced Approx. 2-4 Inches Away W/ Some Good Duct Work In Order To Flow As Much Air As Possible Through As Much Radiator As Possible.

My Initial Opinion Was That The "downflow" Would Not Work Since The "ram" Effect You Were Thinking Of Is Not Going To Happen Due To The Shape Of The Car. I Was Not Considering The Effect Of Air Below The Car And How That May Cause An Equalization In The Pressure On Each Side Of The Cooling Fan.

The Down-flow Will Still Need An Angled Outlet Duct Facing Rearward In Order To Prevent Pressure Equalization. (i.e.... If The Fan Is Blowing The Same Amount Of Pressure That The Passing Air Is Creating As A Low Pressure Zone, You Will Have No Air Flow Across The Radiator ... Just An Equalization Of Pressure)

Although I Think Either Direction Is Probable Given The Correct Duct Arrangement. If You "up-flow" The System You Will Want A Wedge Shape Inlet Duct W/ A Steep Base (like A Camaro/corvette) Although You Will Be Prone To Sucking Up Road Trash.