Hot Rod Forum banner

V8 1973 VW Beetle Project

825K views 836 replies 88 participants last post by  V8 Super Beetle 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all!

I'm in the process of building a V8 Bug out of my 1973 VW Super Beetle. I know this is possible because it's been done before. I'm on the v8bugs.com forum where you can find a handle full of example and different ways to accomplish this, but I still have questions. There's a lot more traffic here so hopefully I can get some help. I'm pretty much a beginner hot rodder that's a DYI kinda guy.

I'm looking into building a custom 2"x3" tube chassis for my build. I've took some measurements from my bug and designed a chassis in Illustrator to size. I'm trying to design the frame so it'll use the stock suspension up front.

I currently have a 283 SBC and th350 to put into the bug, but at the moment the motor is the block, with pistons and all, and heads. The motor is at my old mans (he works nights) so I don't have access to measure the motor off for mounting and what not.

Could anyone tell me, ballpark figure, about how much distance I'll need from each frame rail to fit the engine with mounts and shorty headers?

Here's my frame design, the distance between each frame rail is exactly 27.5". Also I intend on mounting the motor to the crossmembers that hold in the front control arms / suspension. Is this enough distance? Could I bring the distance between the two main frame rails closer? How should I mount the engine to the cross member with then motor mounts I have (see picture below)?

Here's some pics of my beetle and progress. I'm still working on cutting out the trunk!

See less See more
#7 ·
LOL! Yeah, I've restored a 1974 VW bug before and it wasn't too hard. The cars are really simple and cheap to fix up.

Before:

After:

Having a father that's an old school hot rodder, a love for V8's and a basic knowledge of vw super bees, I decided to take on one of these projects. I got a complete running vw super beetle for $500 (needless to say I'll be selling the parts I don't use, engine, etc.) and my old man threw in a V8 and rebuildable tranny after I told him what I want to do.

#8 ·
The dimensions of the floor pan of the VW and the chassis of a Morris Minor are almost identical. There are a lot of small foreign cars that have the narrow short wheelbase as the VW. Look at sites that hot rod cars like English/British Ford, Morris Minor, MG amd Triumph for more info and ideas on this type of swap. Use the search feature on this site for more info. I looked at the differential out of my XR4TI (IRS) and took measurements. It appears if I made mounts for the 3rd member it would bolt up to the VW axles. The read end uses the same axle flanges as the VW. I have a 71 VW sedan I would like to do a swap on also.

#9 ·
Looking at the chassis sketch...it looks like you plan to use the stock VW control arms & strut towers???

NOT strong enough by any means! The VW front half of the car is wicked lightweight and the front end was designed for that low weight. The tire pressure was like 17 lbs on the front end of a "standard" beetle with bias tires! Even with beefier springs, the rest will fail.

Try volksrods.com there are quite a few guys there that have v-8 VWs

#10 ·
OH MY GOD! I was just watching the History Channel and they had photos of a long lost VW Super Beetle that Elvis gave Lisa Marie and that VW is YOURS. OH MY GOD, and you CUT IT UP!!!! It was worth $MILLIONS!

:)

I would plan on using a "T BUCKET style frame" with a tube axle. That is how I have seen many of these cars. OR run Mustang II style, but not that stock front end. When I was a kid my dad had a used car lot where he had a VW Bus with a small block Ford in it mounted midship. Now, it was the early bug, not the McPherson strut super beetle which is a little better but MAN OH MAN was that thing dangerous! It went all over the place when you stabbed it!

Brian

#11 ·
LOL! Oh well, I'll take the quarter mil it's worth and invest it! Nobody likes that Bee anyway, j/j!

Yeah, I designed it to use the OEM front equipement. I was thinking about reinforcing the top of the struts with a fabricated bolted in bar like you see on ricers and possibly fabricating some lower control arms, but really I intend to use the stock stuff, so it'll look stock (sleeper).

I got this idea from the V8bugs.com forum (on my own). The owner of the "Bug from Hell" uses the stock front end on his and he has a big block, but his is more of a mid mount.

If the McPherson suspension is stronger then I don't see why it wouldn't work? Right?

As of now, nothing is set in stone......but I think it would work. That's why I'm seeking advice before building so I really appreciate the help!

#12 ·
That drag car has the standard beetle "beam axle". That type of beam was redesigned & beefed for use in the VW bus & pickup. Those bug beams can be beefed to handle the 100 mph jumps at Baja.

I think the idea of a wimpy super beetle strut front end with a v-8 is all wrong. Some of them are prone to shimmy probs as well.

Also, take a look at how wimpy the coil spring "seat" is on the strut tube....beefing the coils will just let you find the next weakest link.

#13 ·
I understand what you're getting at! I was thinking about using a 2wd drive blazer chassis and shorting the wheelbase before this idea. If I want to do something similar to what I've designed, using struts and all (doesn't have to be the OEM stuff), what would you suggest? I'm looking for a solution that can be achieved with a simple inexpensive trip to the junkyard. I'm building this on a budget.

#14 ·
I've seen a few of these little monsters over the years, but have never gotten to look at the innards. I think the frame design you did might be quite adequate.....simple is better. I wouldn't use the mcpherson front end though.That type of front end is fine, but the VW one isn't strong enough. You might want to check out Jeg's or Alston, or one of the altered-style front ends.....or the Mustang II, for the budget. You could also find the universal-style motor mounts, plates, etc. for your engine. You'll probably need some kind of narrowed rearend.

For a budget mind....look for a Rearend out of a Ford econoline or a Jeep (70's-80's). A lot of them had the rear end pumpkin way offset to one side. You can cut down the long side, and use 2 short side axles....if the width will work. Just an idea. There may also be other vehicles like this, but these I'm aware of. Either of these should be strong enough for your use.

#17 ·
Thanks Dalesy!

I agree, the simpler the better! I'm trying to keep the amount of welds down to a minimum and I'm trying to keep the front suspension simple too.

I'm convinced now that the stock front suspension equipment is not the way to go. I'm thinking about redesigning the setup to use the control arms / A frames, steering boxing / linkage and whatnot from a S-10 pickup or blazer. I want the car to ride 2"-3" lower than the stock look so I'll take messurements and work something up. I'll just use some chrome smoothies to give it that stock look so it'll be a sleeper. I was thinking of using a rearend from a S-10 too but I'm going to look in to your idea first.

What do you guys think?

#19 ·
Hey guys,

After reading some suggestions and going through this site, I'm thinking of basing my V8 Bug chassis after a T-Bucket. If you've seen my plans it's not too far from that already. I'm trying to figure out an inexpensive way to design a tube axle front suspension using spindles / calipers from a S-10 and possibly using a jeep front leaf spring as the front suspension spring for the tube axle. Would that jeep leaf spring hold up on it's own?

Something like this?

#20 ·
Volks Project

A sectioned frame from a smaller car would be my first impression. The Volks platform would never be able to handle the torque or provide the handling to be able to drive the "creation" when you are done. If you rear drive it, or evan mid-engine it, the weight ratio will be horrible with a very light front end. Think about it a lot before you go further.

I saw a HERBIE THE LOVE BUG recreation at the Krause Auction in Ft Lauderdale last weekend. It had 150HP hopped up Volks or Porsche? was rear engined and I thought to myself as it was auctioned, it probably will do wheelstands like the real Herbie too.

Best of luck.

#21 ·
V8 1973 VW Beetle Project - Help Needed!

what about putting in a front wheel drive motor and tranny in it ?
i've seen a 455 olds tornado crammed under one .
a old bud had a 454 in one with a short 400 turbo with the bolt in U joint .
he had it where the motor moved for the slack in it needed when the torque twisted the rear pinion up .
that was in the 70's .
i also seen a 454 adapted to the tornado

#22 ·
Thanks Double Clutch for the advice.

I've taken everyone's advice into consideration and have rethought my plans. As soon as I'm certain which way I want to go I'll redraw my plans and post them for everyone's review just to be on the safe side.

As of now I'm thinking that the chassis will be similar to what I have but a little more like the t-buckets front end. I plan to use some jeep front leaf springs and I'll treat the front end like this.

I'll just do a tube axle front end. I'm trying to figure an inexpensive way to fab it so I could use s10 spindles and calipers. I guess I just need to go out and buy the parts to figure it out?

#25 ·
I got some things done this weekend. Finally, someone reliable came out and bought the bug pan, transaxle and motor from me. It took about 4.5 guys, lol, to lift the bug body off of the pan, while on a trailer with the front wheels strapped down, and into the garage. We did it this way cause of the super's front struts.

After getting my cash for the parts I took a trip to the local junkyard. There are dozens of places to choose from up and down N. Shepherd here in Houston so I did some haggling and yard hopping. After two hours out in the rain I left with a 10 bolt S-10 rear, left and right complete spindles (spindle, rotor, brake caliper), steering box, steering linkage (<---all from a 93 S-10) and rear leaf springs from an Isuzu Amigo. I got all these parts for $350.

Here's a photo of the bug body and one of the leafs to the side just mocking up to see if the leafs are of decent length. Seems like it'll work fine. I'll post pics of the other parts later this evening.

I'm about $750 into this project so far.

Soon I'll post some mock up plans of the frame design using the leaf concept up front and using coilovers in the rear. After building the frame and everything seems to work out well I post the plans with the dimensions if anyone wants to build one from them.

Does anyone have any opinions about using these coilovers for the rear of my bug? I think they'll work and they're pretty inexpensive. From jbugs.com for $59.95 for a pair.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.