Hot Rod Forum banner

V8 302 Swapp hidraulic lifter to solid

687 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  JeffB28 
#1 ·
Hi. My name is Esteban (Steven). I´m from Argentina. Sorry by my inglish

I´ve a Ford 302 manufacturing ´80. It was in F100 america¿n (Ranger 1980). I´ve a ford F100 1962 and i wish to install.

My engine was hidraulic lifters, i dismonted and sold all (camshaft, lifters, etc).

I bought Comp Cams Kit 31-334-4

31-334-4 - Magnumâ„¢ Mechanical Flat Tappet Camshafts

My questions is... I need to modify the block lubrication? Or i can swapp the lifters and camshaft with the original lubrication system.

Thanks you.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
It's not going to work with those style of fixed adjustment rocker arms, as you've got no way to adjust valve lash with that style.

They need to be stud mounted rockers like the early 289 (the style that are just like Chevy small block rocker arms), or an aftermarket shaft system with adjusters on the pushrod cup send of the rocker arm.

To convert your heads to stud mounted rocker arms they have to have the rocker boss milled down, the original bolt hole drilled to 3/8", and then tapped 7/16"-14 tpi for the screw-in rocker stud to fit. Then you'll just need a set of stud mount rocker arms and poly-lock adjuster nuts.

Lubrication doesn't change though.

#5 · (Edited)
#8 ·
If you set the heads up for screw-in studs and guideplates, then you could use the roller tip rockers JeffB28 posted the link too.

To do this the current rocker boss on the heads probably needs to be machined down the thickness of the hex portion of the stud, and the thickness of the guideplate before the holes get drilled and tapped for the 7/16-14 tpi threads.

#9 ·
You may be able to run the 289 heads with those rockers with the stock studs if your spring pressures are not a lot over stock,Fords never had many issues with studs pulling like the small block Chevys did but if you find your clearances changing you may have to add the screw in studs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.