V8/60 FORD "ARDUN" HEMI IT RUNS!!!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2005, 12:55 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

V8/60 FORD "ARDUN" HEMI IT RUNS!!!!

Hey Folks,
I just wanted to show ya,
The OHV V8-60 that I imported from Brazil is now a running engine! I adapted our shops Diesel "hot-run" stand to the engine,then I had the distributor re-built,some new plugs,wires,cap&rotor and used a 500cfm Holley 2bbl (from a friends Bronco)
Fires right up on the 1st try,every time.....and sounds great too
Here is a link to a video of the engine running
http://home.comcast.net/~fairlane2k/Emi-Sul_V8.wmv

James

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2005, 02:24 AM

eng

looks and sounds great.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:15 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Cool looking engine, what are the plans for it?
Old 08-06-2005, 12:10 PM

Last photo:

I want to build a 3/4 scale 32 roadster for the engine...
they are made here local www.chuppshotrods.com

Unfortunatly I must sell this engine,as I did the extra set of heads I had.
I will return to Brazil in December, and ship more parts/engines at that time...
Sadly, I doubt if I can find another engine as complete and in as good condition as this one. I bought a complete car to get this engine....the car was parked for about 15yrs before I found it....

James
Old 08-06-2005, 01:07 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Odd & Unusual ... love it!

Hi

That's what I like to see ... not the run-of-the-mill SBC!
Don't get me wrong ... nothing wrong with SBC, but something different is a refreshing change.

Curious ...
What are the cubic inches / HP ratings on that?
Does it share anything in common with any of the domestic Ford V/8's?
What transmissions will mount to it?
Are there any "performance parts" available for something that odd?
(Not that every "hot rod" HAS to be a screamer.)

Don
Old 08-06-2005, 01:16 PM

Last photo:

More interesting info

As I said, I was curious so I "Asked Jeeves" and found this:
http://www.ardun.com/ardun_histrory.htm
An interesting read.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:09 PM

Wow! Now I am impressed.Yes these V8s are a rare find down here nowadays.They were built by Simca in the 60's as an option called Emisul meaning hemisferical-south,for south america.If I remeber well the displacement was 2.5 litres and around 160 hp.Compretion ratio was way too low to deal with the gasoline from back then.I believe the last year of production was 1968.Chrysler bought Simca France and Brasil and introduced the new Dart with the 318.That was the end for the flat head and the Emisul history.Good luck!
Old 08-06-2005, 07:28 PM

Last photo:

Paulo,
Oi tudo bom? you work with cars in Brazil? cool... I fell in love with the Opala when I was there....someday I hope to import one of those too!
Is it true you can get the 250S with 3 carburetors?

66GMC

147cu in 140hp/150ftlbs
8.5:1 compression single 2v carb
no performance equipment ever
unsure about the transmission....I am still workin on that one
uses same crank/rod/cam bearings as Ford V8/60's
connecting rods interchange...the simca rod is stronger
crankshafts interchange but the simca crank is a longer stroke.

James
Old 08-06-2005, 07:59 PM

Oi James! Sim,tudo bom.And yes I do work on sport cars,specially american.My experience comes from 11 years in NJ,a degree in Automotive Technology and a Certified State Inspector for IM 240 dyno test.I trained at Volvo and Subaru,raced a Maverick in Time-Trial events and restored cars from '91 to '99.Then I returned and have being struggling in my own shop here.

Good luck with your Simca V8! These engines were always overlooked here.
I think they use a 3 main crankshaft support.And yes I heard some 8BA parts will interchange.

The Opala is an interesting car that Chevrolet built by mixing an Opel body with american engines,151 and 250 L6.They were built forever from '69 to '92.
The early ones are the nicest cars.The 250 S was a hot version available as an option beginning in '75.It had a bit more compression,a solid lifter cam and a 2 barrel DFV-Stromberg carb.Far from being a musclecar,when installed in a car that weighed only 2000 lbs and having 171 hp,turned the Opala in a little demon.The 3 carb option was an aftermarket kit installed by a dealer with three single barrels Solex 40 mm.Then a company called Sylpo in S㯠Paulo made an intake to fit three side draft Weber carbs!Awesome to look and hard to tune.But it kicked *****!The most popular intakes nowadays is for one Weber vertical draft.Some years back an american politician bought a brand new alcohol fueled Opala and brought it to Washington.His plan was to prove that it could be done and to force the big three to do the same.

Where do you come to when down here?
Old 08-06-2005, 09:19 PM

Last photo:

Paulo,

When I go to Brazil I stay in Campinas,SP. that is my wife's city...
The next trip I want to see more than Sao Paulo state...I am thinking of visiting a friend in Porto Alegre,and one in Belo Horizonte
WOW..... you have a very good automotive background!
I am automotive machinist,my specialty is cylinder heads.
tell me about your maverick, I am a huge FORD lover....I own a 68 fairlane GT
I am currently building a 351C BOSS engine for my Fairlane,I am trying to get about 550HP out of it...(this should not be difficult)

James
Old 08-06-2005, 10:42 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlane2k
I own a 68 fairlane GT
I am currently building a 351C BOSS engine for my Fairlane,I am trying to get about 550HP out of it...(this should not be difficult)
I had one of those too!
1968 Ford Torino (Same as Fairlane).
I replaced the 302 and C4 with a "hopped up" 351C and a C6.

1972 351C-4V with open chamber heads.
TRW 12.5:1 pop-ups (L2348F +.030) - estimated the compression to be around 10.25:1
Edelbrock Torker
750 CFM (#3310) Holley with vaccuum secondaries. Purple secondary diaphragm spring.
Speed-Pro cam, #CS1101R I think. 3500 - 6500 range 234/244 @ 0.050
Casler headers from 70 Mustang application bolted right in there.
2-1/2" exhaust with turbo mufflers.
2500 RPM factory stall (Mustang) convertor.
3.50:1 9" posi with G60-14 bias ply tires. The car hooked really well, and ran at about the same highway RPM as my friend's 70 Camaro with 4.11's and 15" tires.
I ended up using a Duraspark distributor from a 400. Ford had a TSB on poor power, fuel economy, and detonation in about 1982 ... and the service manager gave me one to see if it cured my detonation / running hot problems. It sure did! That engine ran much better!

I only ever had it to the track once, and they were running some high school bracket racing. Calgary International Raceway was only 1/8 mile. I dialed in at 10.5 seconds and was put up against a STOCK 1970 Datsun 510 with a 24 second dial in. Holy crap that was hard watching that piss-pot get 1/2 way down the track before I even got staged. I wanted so badly to "blow his doors off" that I REALLY pushed the old Torino (~7000 RPM shifts) and went flying by him so fast that he looked like he was standing still!

Conventional wisdom would have been to pull just ahead of him, and then back-pedal a little (or a lot) to maintain the lead ... but oh no ... let's just lose by breaking out! Ahhh, what the hell ... it was worth it. My wife says that everyone was on their feet cheering as I blew past him.

I'm not sure how much HP that car made, but I'm sure it was nowhere near 550... 375 maybe? What do you have planned ... a blower? I'd bet that a 351C would be an awesome blower engine with those big canted valves and ports!

Oh BTW... a Sun "Super Tach" fits right in to the factory dash.
Don

Last edited by 66GMC; 08-06-2005 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Tachometer
Old 08-06-2005, 10:56 PM

Last photo:

Don,

Hey sounds like you had quite a little mill there!
My 351 will be carbed only.... not into the blower/turbo/Nos scene
Just good 'ol machine work,and compression for me... Our shop has a LOT of experience with the Cleveland engine...we set a few NHRA records in the '80s
** at that time we had the most HP per Cubic Inch ever on Vic Edelbrocks dyno!!....and they would not let us turn it over 10,000rpm because it would burn up the bearings in the dyno **

My block has afteremarket 4 bolt main caps w/ splayed outer bolts,modified the block for a roller camshaft. and I will be stuffing a cut down 400 crank in it... going for 410 cid. I have a pair of 4v closed chamber heads to use. but I am also playing with a set of 2V heads w/4V size valves,ported of course!...I will probly raise the exh ports on them also....I am a true blue fan of the 351C

btw: I got a Autometer shift-light tach mounted in the factory clock location!

James
Old 08-07-2005, 09:08 AM

Wow again guys! This thread is getting good! From Ardun V8 to Simca to Cleveland,Torino,Maverick and on.

Let's go by topics:

1) Brasilian wife! Good! Should be a good cook.Stick together.I went to Campinas to see a '68 Mustang with a 600 CID engine 2 years ago.It had problems and I ended up bringing it to Rio de Janeiro.We solved some problems and have not finished yet.It has a Doug Nash gearbox and 9" with ladder bars.Main problem is driveability...

2) The Maverick I raced was an original '70 model with 6 cyl/auto.I converted to 302/Toploader 3 spd/8" and disc brakes,cut the front springs 1,5 turns,gave it some negative camber and dearched the rear leaves.When I began taking it to the tracks everybody laughed.It even had a single exhaust!Some events later it became a respected Time-Trial car,dusting quite a few fast cars.I drove it at Bridgehampton,Lime Rock,Pocono and Watkins Glen.
These cars were quite popular down here since they were built by Ford Brasil from '74 to '79.The main enemy was,guess who? The Chevy Opala.Even nowadays you can hear people arguing loudly about which was best and so on.

3) By all means try to visit Belo Horizonte.I believe they have the largest concentration of Hot Rods in Brasil.I have many friends there that would be delighted to take you around,burn some rubber,enjoy the regional food and mountain vistas.They even have a "mini-skirt" drag strip built on a hill.Neither 1/8 nor 1/4 of a mile.But they race anyway.

4)Machinist!? Cool! I need help bad.I built a Chevy 4.3 V6 for a friend down here.We fit it into an Opala for road racing.The goal is to catch the hottest Maverick in the country.All we did was to ask Crower to regrind the stock roller cam,installed an Edelbrock dual plane with Holley 600 dp,new rings and hand made headers.Amazingly we got 300 hp at 5500 rpm!
Original pistons,rods,crank,heads.But the Opala is still 6 secs slower than the Maverick.We then imported a left over equipment from a Michigan ASA race team.We got aluminum bowtie V6 heads,a Muncie,multi disk compact clutch and some other bits.I went trough all the parts and decided to replace the bronze guides.Ordered new Fed mogul items and took the heads to my favorite machine shop.We replaced the guides and the new Manley valves would not fit.We then took an adjustable reamer and proceeded to carefully open the guides.To our surprise the reamer became dull and stopped cutting at the very
first guide.We then tried a fixed reamer.No good neither.Out of desperation due to a race in 2 days we took an 11/32" drill bit and practically raped the damn guides!It smoked and seized the drill after 1/2 hour of war and three angry men sweating and cursing at it.No one could believe it! The shop's owner said he had never seen anything like that in 30 years.Then a friend here at Hot Rodders told me about special reamers from Goodson.Please give us some info.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:43 PM

Last photo:

Paulo,

VALVE GUIDES: yeah man, most reamers are made for cutting cast iron guides, and they really dont like doing the bronze stuff...besides Reamers do only an OK job in my opinion, I use SUNNEN diamond guide hones,the best in my opinion. I typicly run .0008"-.001" clearance on the intakes and .0015" on the exhaust.... do you need Goodsons contact info? I can look and see what the cost of that reamer is monday when I go back to work...

MAVERICK: yes I am aware the Mav' was built in Brazil, I have a very good friend here who used to own a brakes and suspesion shop in Brazil, we talk about Brazilian cars all the time....as a matter of fact I have an SUPER FORD magazine from a few years ago that says they think the Brazilian Maverick is the best one in the world!! how cool huh?

WIFE: She is a great woman for sure! she is actually in Campinas RIGHT NOW.... sadly her father is having some health problems so she went to help take care of the old man... as for the cooking part....I can only eat rice and beans for soo long... the good news is a churrasuria rodisu just opend up in my city this week.....guess where I will be spending my food money.....I can live on BBQ and pao de quejo....and cachca

James

Last edited by fairlane2k; 08-09-2005 at 07:05 PM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.