Just thought I'd give you all a quick update on the 69 convertible VW beetle project.
I started working on the homemade traction bars for it, if I had to do it over again, I may have gone with a 4 link rear suspension setup or something, but then again CHEAP is one of the major points of this project......
You can see more pictures from this update and more info on my homemade traction bars on the new page on my website at:
And see the rest of the project at the V8 Beetle Resource:
Here are a few pictures from the update:
I started by drawing up what I was wanting to build, here are the brackets for the front leaf spring mounts.
Here is a demensioned drawing for the bracket, feel free to "borrow" my idea. You may need to make some changes though to fit your project. If you do use this info to build a set for yourself, please just post a link to my website to let other people know about it.
Next I cut out and drilled the front brackets. They came out real nice for cutting them out with a 4.5" angle grinder, but a drill press is pretty much required for the holes, luckily I have a nice JET drill press.
Then I cut the brackets out that will get welded to the bottom of the leaf spring plates.
Then I welded them onto the leaf spring plates. I'll probably take these to work later on and thow them in the steel shot blaster to clean them up so I can repaint them.
Then I bolted the leaf spring plates back on, I'll cut the extra U bolts off later btw.....
Here I am eyeballing it with half of the front bracket sitting there. Now I need to get some tubing, heim joints, bolts, etc.....
Thanks to everyone who is following this build!