V8 engine sound, american iron vs. ferrari - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 02:44 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusto View Post
leaving the american vs import debate which is not the case, seems like the flat crank is the way to make an american engine sound so sweet, but it's way ahead of a working's man budget, I'm building a V8 powered buggy and have plenty of room to make headers with pipes crossing to the other side and arranging the cylinders in the correct sequence, I'm gonna build them that way and I hope my engine sounds a little bit italian, it would be awsome, old american grunt with the sound of a symphony. (well my engine won't rev past 7.000 rpm, so it won't scream that high)
Look what the Australians have achieved with engine sounds, you can emulate any engine you want with one of these!

Bogie

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 03:10 PM

ferrari street cars are poorly disguised race cars,hand built.
what RPM is this ferrari 2.4 turning and what kind of valves are they using to get that RPM?
Old 12-18-2012, 03:49 PM
From the middle of the world

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbogie View Post
Look what the Australians have achieved with engine sounds, you can emulate any engine you want with one of these!

Human Car Sounds - Australia's Got Talent 2012 Audition! - FULL - YouTube

Bogie
that guy is awsome..!! even the pit sounds of the Red Bull changing tires are fantastic.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
ferrari street cars are poorly disguised race cars,hand built.
what RPM is this ferrari 2.4 turning and what kind of valves are they using to get that RPM?
the thing is if I had to choose between a Ferrari 458 and a Corvette, I will jump over the Ferrari, and I bet most people will, but the real thing is I can't afford a Ferrari, and I can't afford a vette also, so I have to live with my beloved SBC's

Actually I like the way american V8's sound, and I think Ford engines sound better than Chevy's, and I'm willing to try making my Chevy sound better.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:37 PM
Old & Furious

Quote:
the Ferrari engine is only 4.5 liter and is not a race engine, it's a street car's engine, the Ferrari race engine is only 2.4 liter and makes around 900 hp.

with that efficiency a Nascar 5.8 liter should make 2.175 hp

The Ferrari technology is way superior to chevy's, of course it comes at a price way superior than chevy's

My point is this guy said that a chevy engine is better.. no way, it is not, and I'm a chevy man.
Uh well if money is no object you kinda end up with a 8000 hp dragster engine. Yeah not wedge heads but niether do f1 engines use production style chambers.

Point is 9k rpm chevy is going to sound nothing like a 5k rpm engine. And if you stuff a 9k rpm small block motor into a ferrari that had as much time spent on performance as the normal 458 forget the italia. It would make alot more power than ferrari engine fit the same space and less lbs. A lot of people think euro motors make more power since they rev higher and produce power at lower displacements. Truth is the motors are all let out from the factory nothing left in em. With more displacement they would be bigger than desil truck motors. And 8L v8 made with bmw or ferrari or porsche blocks would be 6 inches taller than a chevy and make the car handle like crap. With lots of top heavy engine.

Chevy with 8L engine running 5k rpm max will make about the same power as a 4L euro block turning 8k rpm. Aboit 400 hp properly tuned. Now spin that same 8L engine to 8k rpm with big cam and air flow to support it and you will hit the 800+ mark.

Only advantage the euro engines have valve lift and leverage on the rockers. Four valve engines use less lift and dont need as much spring pressure. But flow is about the same when the wedge is double the size of the pentroof heads. But you can get four valve heads for the chevy. And this is how all this relates to the post four valve heads change everything the sound is completly different and engine is more free reving with the heads.

Now add up 180 crank four valve heads and high reving forged engine and proper cam to reach that rpm. Then you will have a 800 hp engine that cost 15 grand and only sounds remotly like a ferrari. For the same money you could buy a used ferrari engine and get it installed.

Bolra has already spent the millions to develope the euro sound for the v8s.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:34 PM

too poor for anything but old school sbc's. happiness is getting what you want and liking what you get. dont set my sights high and ill be happy with the rumble of a chevy v8. the 327 stroke makes a differnet sound than the 350. the 305 and 350's are hard to distinguish the difference in sound i think. the rumble of the chevy is iconic to me. i cant get enough of the sound of a marine engine with a total of 30 inches of exhaust sticcking straight out the back 8" diameter pipes. just awsome!
Old 12-18-2012, 11:47 PM

Last photo:

I am going to step into this again.
The sound of a Ferrari V8 engine is unique to V-8 engines because it has a 180 degree crankshaft. A 180 degree crankshaft in 90 degree V-8 allows the engine to fire alternate banks of cylinders all the way through the firing order. You can also alternate banks with a 120 degree V-6, or a 60 degree V-12. A V-8 with a 90 degree crank fires right, left, right, right, left, right, left, left.

I know the exhaust system does affect the sound. But look at it this way. You can take a trumpet that Miles Davis has played, hand it to a 13 year old kid in Junior high band, and the kid is not going to sound like Miles Davis.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:43 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-10again! View Post
too poor for anything but old school sbc's. happiness is getting what you want and liking what you get. dont set my sights high and ill be happy with the rumble of a chevy v8. the 327 stroke makes a differnet sound than the 350. the 305 and 350's are hard to distinguish the difference in sound i think. the rumble of the chevy is iconic to me. i cant get enough of the sound of a marine engine with a total of 30 inches of exhaust sticcking straight out the back 8" diameter pipes. just awsome!
I rolled out a kit Farrari California Special a few years ago with a pretty hot Ford 351 in it. Doesn't sound like a Farrari V8 but it gets a lot of attention.

Bogie
Old 12-19-2012, 03:13 PM

Ford's 351 sounds smoother than SBC's
Old 12-19-2012, 06:19 PM

toyota LFA engine is more reliable and has that sound some people like. Yamaha technology
Old 12-20-2012, 02:34 AM

Last journal entry: Starting the build, 333ci chev, 195 cc jegs heads
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcompton View Post
Uh well if money is no object you kinda end up with a 8000 hp dragster engine. Yeah not wedge heads but niether do f1 engines use production style chambers.

Point is 9k rpm chevy is going to sound nothing like a 5k rpm engine. And if you stuff a 9k rpm small block motor into a ferrari that had as much time spent on performance as the normal 458 forget the italia. It would make alot more power than ferrari engine fit the same space and less lbs. A lot of people think euro motors make more power since they rev higher and produce power at lower displacements. Truth is the motors are all let out from the factory nothing left in em. With more displacement they would be bigger than desil truck motors. And 8L v8 made with bmw or ferrari or porsche blocks would be 6 inches taller than a chevy and make the car handle like crap. With lots of top heavy engine.

Chevy with 8L engine running 5k rpm max will make about the same power as a 4L euro block turning 8k rpm. Aboit 400 hp properly tuned. Now spin that same 8L engine to 8k rpm with big cam and air flow to support it and you will hit the 800+ mark.

Only advantage the euro engines have valve lift and leverage on the rockers. Four valve engines use less lift and dont need as much spring pressure. But flow is about the same when the wedge is double the size of the pentroof heads. But you can get four valve heads for the chevy. And this is how all this relates to the post four valve heads change everything the sound is completly different and engine is more free reving with the heads.

Now add up 180 crank four valve heads and high reving forged engine and proper cam to reach that rpm. Then you will have a 800 hp engine that cost 15 grand and only sounds remotly like a ferrari. For the same money you could buy a used ferrari engine and get it installed.

Bolra has already spent the millions to develope the euro sound for the v8s.
I have been contemplating if I should correct you in all the wrong in this.... the last time did on this SAME subject matter- it appears you did not listen hence why you are puking more nonsense. Not all of it, but a decent amount. Not trying to be a dick here but I really get tired of people ranting about stuff they think they know but have little actual experience on the topic. I tend to read, listen, and research than follow this stuff. yous should try listening a little more.

The most knowledgeable person I have seen on this forum in reguards to this subject is again- old boggie.

the 458 motor is detuned from the factory. even the italia. that is for starters. don't get me wrong i would not own a ferrari if you paid me to. they are pieces of ****. I have worked on too many to like them. They DO break just like the lesser crap too.

The motor I am a fan of is the ford modular motor. There is a reason that konigsegg used that block (but heat treated) in their little monster of a car. Its absolutely bullet proof. When that cash for clunkers bs was going on, the dealer next to my old shop had been blowing up engines all day or weeks. The one motor that they ever had issues with was that ford 4.6 mod motor.

I am looking forward to working with a bear bones coyote motor myself.

Personally if I was going to build my car again (instead of the sbc i have) I would have used a ford 4.6 svt motor get rid of the silly blower they have and go na with a cross plane crank and hit 10k rpm all day long. THAT would be a not so bad idea. I am not sure if anyone uses a flat plane crank for the mod i would have to look into it.

also - have you ever heard a borla? Like in real life? Compare that exhaust on a mustang and bmw e93. the bmw e93 will sound almost exactly like the mustang with borla exhaust. american muscle puke noise. they are not at all "euro" in sound they are low and rumbley in nature.

that sound is close with the corevette corsa pace car exhaust. though still not quite. the exhaust pulses are not even enough to hit those high notes because of the configuration of the crank shaft- or if you prefer, the headers. The factory headers on the ls1 and up are tri-y headers. at least the ones i have seen. they don't quite equal out the pulses like 180 headers.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:36 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Ford's 351 sounds smoother than SBC's
you would have to have pretty good ears to be able to hear any real difference in "smoothness" if both engines were uses a close as possible setup all around. BUT the firing order is slightly less stressful on the crank shaft in fords. they have a 4-7 swap compared to a chevy firing order.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:37 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
toyota LFA engine is more reliable and has that sound some people like. Yamaha technology
I have yet to work on one, i have heard them in person but never worked on one. just because its made by toyota doesn't mean its reliable...

love the sound though.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:38 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielC View Post
I am going to step into this again.
The sound of a Ferrari V8 engine is unique to V-8 engines because it has a 180 degree crankshaft. A 180 degree crankshaft in 90 degree V-8 allows the engine to fire alternate banks of cylinders all the way through the firing order. You can also alternate banks with a 120 degree V-6, or a 60 degree V-12. A V-8 with a 90 degree crank fires right, left, right, right, left, right, left, left.

I know the exhaust system does affect the sound. But look at it this way. You can take a trumpet that Miles Davis has played, hand it to a 13 year old kid in Junior high band, and the kid is not going to sound like Miles Davis.
you got it
Old 12-20-2012, 02:40 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-10again! View Post
They only sound slightly different because of the cfm through the rpm range. This is considering IF the motors were all exactly the same aside from the obvious pistons rods and crank. I mean bore heads etc.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.