v8 exhaust depth - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2010, 01:29 PM
GUILLOTINE

Wiki Edits: 0

v8 exhaust depth

i have a dodge ram srt/10 im trying to give it a deep bore depth with a hint of a v8 chug if this is possable i am open for sujestons

i want: loud,deep, and as v8 as possable any sujestions on cam depth on the exhasut would be helpfull too

thanks in advance

Advertisement

Last edited by R4MM; 02-19-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2010, 04:49 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

In my experience, a V6 will always sound different than a V8.

It's my opinion that a V6 sounds better running through a healthy single exhaust than duals.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:18 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

It`ll always sound like a V6 regardless. Duals with a X pipe and turbo mufflers deep tone tends to cover some of it up, and at idle it`ll sound just like a V8, but off idle it`s impossible to get rid of the V6 sound. Another thing you can do is have dual pipes ran into a 2 into 1 splitter right at the muffler, use a Dynomax super turbo muffler, then run a single pipe out. I tried a stock muffler on my V6, and it would go "wooden! wooden!" then I had a flowmaster installed with dual pipes into the splitter with another splitter with dual pipes out of the rear, it sounded like a swarm of angry bee`s. I had the flowmaster removed and had a thrush turbo muffler installed. At idle you can`t tell it`s a V6, it has a nice deep tone to it, but off idle it`s dead obvious it`s a V6. My engine has a performance cam and exhaust porting, no matter, still has that dreaded V6 sound.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:33 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

It is a v10, guys . You will never get the V8 thump out of a V10. The cylinder balance is totally different. An X pipe with glass pack resonators followed by a good quality muffler, such as the aerochamber or magnaflow ect., will kill some of the drone that a V10 produces and still give a nice performance sound. But it will never sound remotely like a V8.

A cam won't do it, either. But why mess with the SRT/10 engine? It is already north of 500 HP stock.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:49 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbchevfreak
It is a v10, guys .
HAHAHA!

****, if I had a V10, I'd just let 'er eat- my nephews Viper rips the hair offa your neck when he punches it!

Revel in the difference!!!

Last edited by cobalt327; 02-20-2010 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:18 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Every V10 I`ve ever heard sounds completely awful. Worse than a V6.
First time I ever heard a Viper at the cruise in one night I was like "gez, to look that good and pay that kind of cash it would have to sound better than that"
Old 02-19-2010, 08:17 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Completely off topic but I watched an SRT-10 with a supercharger do a huge burnout in the waterbox at the track last summer and before he was finished the engine threw the blower belt right into the radiator. That's what he gets for showing off I suppose...
Old 02-20-2010, 06:11 AM
ASE Master Tech, Fabricator

Last wiki edit: Taurus 2-speed fan control wiring diagram Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbchevfreak
..... An X pipe with glass pack resonators followed by a good quality muffler, such as the aerochamber or magnaflow ect., will kill some of the drone that a V10 produces and still give a nice performance sound....
I think a little larger tailpipe, with some Borlas or one of the above mentioned mufflers, along with an H or X pipe, will make about all the difference you could hope to accomplish.
The V10s just have a raspy popping sound that will never really sound like a V8, , but could sound pretty decent in their own right,
Old 02-20-2010, 09:29 AM
GUILLOTINE

thanks for all the tips, yea it does sound like a v6 wich i find anoying its more powerfull although u can modify a v6 alot more, a cammed exhaust with a little over lap seedm to have given me a bit of a v8 throaty chug but thats only at idle as soon as i start and give it gas it sounds more like a ricer, atm it has a stock muffler i was going for the "look stock" aproach but like totaly not, so ive cammed the exhaust just a tad um so yea i might have to modify the stock muffler tinker around with that, any sujjestions wto what to do in altering it, and i was intrested in the splitters is tht like two pipes and feed into the 1 pipe (stock muffler) or am i wrong there, glass pack tht has been mentioned to me before and ill shall look that up think it was called a smithys glasspack, also give it a lil more over lap not too muhc maybe a bit less dont want to sacrafise top end or start off, atm it has long tuber headers running into a 3" cat wich runs into dereiters, and into stocks i was think flowmaster but thts been done to death may try another type like what u guys have sujested, also has jsc automatic tail gate and jsc electric cutouts.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.