V8 Fiero Engine Troubles - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2004, 06:40 PM
1972 Nova Turbo Lsx

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

V8 Fiero Engine Troubles

Ok as some may know I have just completed my V8 Swap I am now tuning. This is my engine and combo
355 sbc
Dart Iron Eagle 205/160 heads 215cc intake runners and 64cc combustion chambers
.220 Dome Pistons TWR Forged 12:1 Compression
Edelbrock performer RPM intake
Cam is Comp Cams Magnum 292 duration and 501 lift
Running Sanderson headers the larger ones cant remember part number
all MSD Ignition
Free flowing single chamber flowmaster mufflers 2.5"

I have everything adjusted as far as valves and timing I am running about 34* total timing

Problem: Car is stumbles through the gears revs up great from idle and then I take off and nothing the Carb I am thinking more and more less of is a edelbrock 750cfm performer elec choke. I called edelbrock and they said to go with a larger accelerator pump nozzle and metering rod and spring change opened the carb up and did this and still the same problem anyone have experience with edelbrock performer carbs or any suggestions where else to look. car should be very responsive it outta make around 430-440 at the fly..... but it is acting like the 2.8L or less!!

Thanks for any help

Everything is brand new there is no used parts on this swap. completely brand new engine buld

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0050.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	1861  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2004, 09:14 PM
1972 Nova Turbo Lsx

Last photo:

bump
Old 06-11-2004, 09:24 PM

Last photo:

This may seem obvious but you know that regular pump gas isnt going to cut it. That thing needs high octane juice.

Looks like a really cool car. I have heard that a v8 can be pretty tough on transmissions.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:04 PM
1972 Nova Turbo Lsx

Last photo:

yeah thats a good suggestion. But I have it running on 110. I thought about alot of stuff and that was deffinitley one thing but Maybe its in my distributor I have a pro billet mechanical advance dist. how does the advance work?
Old 06-12-2004, 09:46 PM

Last photo:

Pull the air cleaner off,Look down the carburetor throat,move the throttle easy and see if it is getting accelerator pump fuel immediately or just after moving the throttle.If its not immediate,their is ur bog.If its immediate,then keep going up on shooter till the bog goes away.Also how much initial timing do u have,if its retarded it wont respond at all and will sound like its laboring.

As far as timing, the dist runs at cam speed and say its got 12 degrees advance in it, 12X2 =24+initial of say 12 will give u 36 total. U want it all in by 2 to 2500 if its an auto especially on gd gas.

Just try it and use ur timing light to watch the timing marks to see when the advance stops at what rpm,and how fast it advances.
Make ur self a graph and plot it at 100 rpm increments till it quits.

Poor mans dist machine,hehe

then u can put in stiffer springs or lighter ones and trim ur weights till its how the engine likes it
Old 06-12-2004, 10:04 PM

awesome ride guy! I agree with lilsmoke you probably have timing and advance issues, ps is this thing automatic? if so I was wondering if perhaps you dont have enough converter stall speed and its causing an off idle bog. If I read your posst right it seems that it revs fine in nuetral or from idle but not when in gear. let us know. Congrats on a great swap. when its all done and set it should be a heck of highway topender!
Old 06-12-2004, 10:18 PM
Grumpy

Last photo:

Are you even sure this is a bog caused by a lean condition?

If you have an O2 sensor than run it to a multimeter and see if the voltage decreases or increases. You already said the different pump did'nt help, so why not try leaning the mix out a bit unless your sure it's a lean condition causing the bog?
Old 06-12-2004, 10:21 PM
79 El Camino

Last journal entry: Trans attached
Last photo:

Do a plug check after a loaded launch and check for rich/lean conditions. At this CR, even 1/32" float level change can make a big difference off idle. Does it smell rich at idle? If so, try lowering your float level a bit and see what happens. This is assuming you have a properly adjusted accelerator pump as described.

By the way, how do you get to the plugs in this tight package? I have heard that you need to cut holes behind the seats. Your picture looks great, I hope you get it running right. It should be wicked fast.
Old 06-13-2004, 09:52 AM
1972 Nova Turbo Lsx

Last photo:

Thanks for all the replys. It is a 4 speed manual. Timing I know is a big thing. I took the edelbrock back The floats kept bending I went to the nationals here in columbus this weekend and spoke with a barrygrant rep I placed and order for a mighty demon 650. I will re-set the timing and work from there. I am trying to understand this mechanical advance distributor. But will keep you posted what does everyone thing of this new carb selection?

Thanks
Dan
Old 06-13-2004, 12:32 PM

Last photo:

Dont think u will find a better production carb.Ive got one on a 355 in a vette w/4 gear,10.18 cr with world 67 cc 185 i believe intake runners. Runs great starts first kick. Just be sure to follow all instructions with the carb as they are a little diff than a holley.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:32 PM

Last journal entry: New Carb
Last photo:

Bump

Hows your car running?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.