V8 mid engine donar cars - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2011, 04:24 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

V8 mid engine donar cars

Well I want to put a mid engine drive train in my project car and I want to use a V8. What are good donor cars that wont break the bank. My project is a 60s muscle car.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2011, 04:39 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,013 Times in 849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP Hot Rods
Well I want to put a mid engine drive train in my project car and I want to use a V8. What are good donor cars that wont break the bank. My project is a 60s muscle car.
Take the entire front drive unit out of a '66-'76 Eldorado or Toronado and adapt it to the rear of the frame on your car. That's the inexpensive way. The expensive way is to mount the motor of your choice in the back seat area and twist it through a Porsche transaxle.
http://www.renegadehybrids.com/
A fellow named Bill Porterfield used to be famous for transplanting the GM transaxle into other recipients. Google him and maybe find some other advice.
http://gmc.mybirdfeeder.net/GMCforum...&t=msg&th=7642
Also google Bill's company, Mid Engineering.
Check out these articles on mid/rear engine stuff for 20 cents a page, pretty good deal I'd say....
http://www.v8vairs.com/techarticles.htm

Last edited by techinspector1; 05-26-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:49 AM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

You could also use the next generation of Eldo/Toro/Riveria. Most of them used an Olds based engine. With some work to the oiling system and valvetrain, an Olds small block can handle some respectable hp. One of the problems with any of these, including the 66-76 is the gearing. There aren't many options IIRC.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:42 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowbilly3
You could also use the next generation of Eldo/Toro/Riveria. Most of them used an Olds based engine. With some work to the oiling system and valvetrain, an Olds small block can handle some respectable hp. One of the problems with any of these, including the 66-76 is the gearing. There aren't many options IIRC.
Actually, the GMC motorhome community has developed different gearsets for these transaxles. They aren't cheap.

Also consider Northstar transverse donors.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:03 AM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP Hot Rods
If you want to stuff a V8 into the back seat of a 60's muscle car, you are really talking rear engine, not mid engine. Unless you want to do extensive body/chassis mods to extend the body, there just isn't enough room from the centeline of the rear wheel wells to the front seat to fit an enigine and transaxle. I did see a concept mid/rear engine '60s mustang fastback, but I never found out how there were going to do the drivetrain. The problem w/ the olds trnasaxle is it put the engine over the rear axle which is good for saving space, not so good for weight distribution if you want to turn. Keep us posted.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:39 AM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

The C5 and C6 corvettes used a common T56 transmission with a tailsection that was a transaxle. You can put a normal bellhousing on it and mount an engine mid-chassis, but you would be sharing the driver's seat with headers and a valve cover. Not good.

Transverse mounting will probably be your friend, but any of the transverse mounted V8s like have been mentioned will make it a rear engine, not mid. As has been mentioned, steering won't happen

So, here is a crazy idea... What about taking a FWD drivetrain like mentioned above, welding up the differential in the tranny, mount it longitudinally in the back seat with a short driveshaft back to an independent rear? That will solve the length issue. Instead of the whole length of an engine and a tranny, the tranny is kinda tucked under/beside the engine.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:11 AM

The advantage of the Toronado drivetrain is that is is compact, but yes, the engine is balanced over the axles. For a true mid-engine design, what some folks have done is turn the Toro drivetrain around so the engine faces backwards then build a short extension between the trans output face and the differential housing (they come apart). You'll need to flip the differential since it's now turning the other way, but that's easy to do while you're making this spacer. Now you can locate the engine anywhere you want.

The C5 transaxle is also a great idea and you can get it as a T56 as well as a 4L60E.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:30 AM

Mid engine

Wow these are great Ideas. Thank you. Just some thoughts after reading these posts. I like the Idea of using the Toronado and splitting the tans out face and the differential. What years of Toronado are we talking. It sounds like there are several possibilities out there. What about using a latter model Lincoln continental like the early 2000s. Aren't these powerful V8s that are transverse mounted. What problems arise from switching the drive train around.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:09 AM

im thinking you could probably use the motor of a 90s to 2000 camaro too
Old 05-27-2011, 11:13 AM

Last journal entry: Got it running
Last photo:

There once was a good page linked somewhere in the knowledgebase(I think that is where it was) about putting an Eldorado drivetrain in the back of a VW beetle. The guy said it was brutally fast in a straight line, but handling wasn't all that special.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:43 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I would do some looking at late model transverse mounted engine packages.. some of those come out on a sub-frame which would make the installation a lot easier. Of course you would need to deal with the ecu and shifter linkage but all in all this may be a good option. Some of those packages do mount the engine fwd of the axle placing the engine in the right spot for a mid engine setup..

Sam
Old 05-27-2011, 12:34 PM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

I think it WILL fit. I remember seeing many magazine cars with Toronado drive trains in the backseat space. One I remember vividly was a corvair.
And technically it would be a mid engine since the engine is ahead of the trans axle, or axle centerline. A rear engine would have the engine behind the trans axle.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:29 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,013 Times in 849 Posts
Quote:
I think it WILL fit. I remember seeing many magazine cars with Toronado drive trains in the backseat space. One I remember vividly was a corvair.
And technically it would be a mid engine since the engine is ahead of the trans axle, or axle centerline. A rear engine would have the engine behind the trans axle.
Click on the "mybirdfeeder" link that I gave the OP in post #2.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, in the stock configuration, the engine is about 2/3 behind the axles and 1/3 in front. The RH driveshaft passes under the front part of the oil pan.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:01 PM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

'32 Ford w/ rear engine and a GM RV transmission

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8173.jpg
Views:	2652
Size:	327.5 KB
ID:	55608   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8172.jpg
Views:	3460
Size:	380.3 KB
ID:	55609   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8171.jpg
Views:	3374
Size:	334.7 KB
ID:	55610   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8174.jpg
Views:	2725
Size:	289.3 KB
ID:	55611  

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.