V8 in original 26 T frame? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2013, 09:07 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

V8 in original 26 T frame?

I am going to pick up my new (to me) 1926 T coupe this morning. It is complete less engine, hood , and grille shell. It is in very good shape with only one rust through on the left rear corner. My plan is to install a very mild SBC/700r4. My 27 T roadster is a monster. I don’t need another monster, just something to cruise in with decent MPG’s. I know everybody says that the T frame is not strong enough for a V8. I built the frame for the 27 T roadster, but would like to use the original for this one. My question is…. Can the frame be beefed up to be strong enough? Maybe box the frame with ¼” plate. Reinforce existing cross members. Maybe add cross members or a k member. Of course a newer front axle, newer rear end must be used. What do you think? Anybody done this?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2013, 11:04 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,192 Times in 1,051 Posts
Fully boxing it you would have basically 2x3 tubing. From my memory, I believe that is close to what a T frame is, 2x3, I don't believe it isn't a 2x4 as I remember. That is SERIOUSLY pushing it for a V8. And making a new frame from scratch is a piece of cake for that car so why not just make an identical to original frame out of 2x4 tubing? Because boxing it isn't all that easy, ending up with the frame out of square is a very real result, that is a LOT of welds!

Brian
Old 03-26-2013, 11:16 AM

Last photo:

You'd be better off building from scratch or buying one from Spirit, Speedway etc. Or, you could get a Model A or 32 ford chassis and box THAT; but, as MartinSR said, you really need to be a decent fabricator and know how to weld on a structural level. You dont want your ride coming apart at the seams with 600 pounds of SBC hanging out front
Old 03-26-2013, 11:53 AM

Last photo:

frame

u can use 1/8 or 3/16 to box it in.. BUT make sure u X brace the frame to keep it from twisting out of shape. yes u can use 2x3 tubing as long as u don't put in maga HP. a friend had a total performance frame, i think 2x4 and had 750hp motor with no problems.. even mine will try to lift the front left tire if i get on it and i'm under 350hp..
Old 03-26-2013, 02:25 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

t frame

In the 50's I boxed the Second roadster project T frame, lots and lots of welding, holes to fill, then grinding . use new tubing and weld in nuts for fender and running board brackets. I use a unibit Cone style drill, and leave a hammer in press fit , that chamfers the hole, Remove plating from the nuts , screw in a bolt and square it up, weld, grind flush, and retap the nuts. depending on the rear suspension usually there is not much room for a k or x crosmember. Most T buckets just have a drop down rear trans mount crossmember . You can buy a new model A front crossmber, and made a rect tube rear one, Take all your dimemsions from the original T frame, and save the T chassis and build a T speedster. I buy in bulk and a T frame only takes $ 100 in material.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:41 PM

Last photo:

Thanks guys. I am a certified welder. Been welding and fabricating for 45 years. The welding is no problem. I fabricated my 27 T roadster frame from 2x3x3/16 tubing. It has 450 HP. Frame is plenty stout. A 2x3 frame would be pretty simple to fab up, I was just thinking that it might be easier to just strengthen the original, since you would end up with about the same as a 2x3 frame. But yeah, it might be easier to start from scratch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1087 (2).JPG
Views:	38
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	72628   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1232 (2).JPG
Views:	77
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	72629  
Old 03-26-2013, 02:49 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale View Post
In the 50's I boxed the Second roadster project T frame, lots and lots of welding, holes to fill, then grinding . use new tubing and weld in nuts for fender and running board brackets. I use a unibit Cone style drill, and leave a hammer in press fit , that chamfers the hole, Remove plating from the nuts , screw in a bolt and square it up, weld, grind flush, and retap the nuts. depending on the rear suspension usually there is not much room for a k or x crosmember. Most T buckets just have a drop down rear trans mount crossmember . You can buy a new model A front crossmber, and made a rect tube rear one, Take all your dimemsions from the original T frame, and save the T chassis and build a T speedster. I buy in bulk and a T frame only takes $ 100 in material.
I was delayed from picking up the coupe until tomorrow because of all the snow, so have just been sitting and thinking about the project today. All the body mounting points are what had me thinking about using the original frame. I am going to make this a full fendered car. The first roadster frame was all custom and non fendered so didn't have to be like the original. The idea of saving it and building a speedster is very interesting.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:09 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

If you just want a nice cruiser, why not go with a 4 cyl or a v6.....Then you wont have to worry so much about the frame.

Budget RVs
Old 04-14-2013, 09:08 PM

hello, beautiful roadster! I'm new to this forum.Yes, I have done it. When I bought my 1927 tall T I boxed the original frame w/ 1/4 " plate. It works well enough. I had a stock 302 SBF in it w/ a C4 & an 8 in. It ain't pretty but I didn"t have alot of money. A 4cyl. or a V6 might be a good idea for a full fendered rod. Theres not alot of room without cutting the stock firewall.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.