Hot Rod Forum banner

v8 rail?

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  1971BB427 
#1 ·
Hey.
love the idea of a rail buggy with a v8. Not for extreme offroading but road trips...cruising and short bursts of rocket type launches..lol
I'd like to take some 4 seated ideas but extend another 2-3 feet to make it a 6-7 seated.
think front or rear engine is best? If rear then what kind of rear end is best? I want a long riding comfy machine.
thanks for any ideas. Hg

#2 · (Edited)
#5 ·
That's not really a rail, that is what was known as a "Competition Coupe" back in the 1960's. You'll find them with a lot of the same body's used for Altered's and Gasser's,.... just from the firewall back. There were even some using the firewall-back body of a Nash Metropolitan.

#4 ·
. I was considering a 6 or 8 passenger Bucket T for taking neighborhood, car show, and disadvantaged kids for rides in... maybe twin blown Hemis...

. I thought the sound of a V6 was something only a mother could love? LOL! ... First time I saw the plumbing of an SHO engine, I decided that was something I didn't want to be responsible for the maintenance on... further re-inforced when I saw it was a $10,000 Yamaha engine only making 200 HP...

< "I was built with the Body of a God! Too bad it was Buddah." >

. True story... someone accused Abraham Lincoln of being two-faced... he replied: "If I had two faces, do you think I'd be using this one?"

#6 ·
love the idea of a rail buggy with a v8. Not for extreme offroading but road trips...cruising ... I'd like to take some 4 seated ideas but extend another 2-3 feet to make it a 6-7 seated.
think front or rear engine is best? I want a long riding comfy machine.

. Wait... are you talking rail-type dune buggy? Only 'comfy' in great weather... LOL

. Caddy 500" FWD setup moved to rear... Mustang II front suspension...

. I was also considering a 10-12 passenger 'offshore' 'dragboat'...

#7 ·
Something like this but more streetable with lights n maybe fenders n street friendly tires n comfy seats and bout 2 feet longer for third row seating.

Attachments

#9 ·
I wouldn't want a V8 in the rear on a sand rail. If it could be set up mid engine, then I'd think it would have a lot better weight ratio, and handle much better in the dunes. I've seen some built on Corvette transaxles, so the engine could be coupled close to the rear axle.
We have a lot of dunes here, and I see some pretty strange builds. The couple I've seen with V8's in the rear can do wheelies easily, but have trouble turning with even light throttle application.

#10 ·
Mine is gonna be 90% street cruisin and vacation enjoyment. Any offroading will be just slow going offroad to were a normal vehicle could get to. No hard drivin or hill jumpin.
i like that blue one. more non boxy look.
i dont understand the transaxle thing. what would be good for that use? I heard tornado? It confuses me. The blue one bout 2 feet longer with nuther row of seats would be sweet! HG

#11 · (Edited)
. As I mentioned above the Cadillac, Toronado, and Riviera FWD setups provide a ready made strong V8 power cradle module setup to move to the rear for traction... most vehicles get stuck in soft sand... the early dune buddies used the rear engine VW setup for sand traction... the Fiero car is a FWD setup moved to the rear... of course, newer FWD smaller cars also have V8 power now... can take a lot of power to move (blast!) through soft sand...

. Some other benefits of rear engine are leaving engine noise, fumes, gas spray, oil spray, heat, thrown rods, and exhaust 'behind'... lighter, easier steering...

. The bright blue one elevates the rear seats to give those passengers a clearer view forward... and more breeze on hot days... the sun can get hot without good breeze... of course, it's a lower, more paved road going vehicle...

. Powertrains from the big FWD cars can make a vehicle wide enough for 3 person side-by-side sitting...

#12 ·
Thanks for the info.
Never thought about a fiero. Would it hold up pretty well? Ill have to check into the setup with a rear engine. Probably not that hard but Im makin that way...lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.