v8 s10 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2013, 10:23 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

v8 s10

i have 85 s10 was wondering if anyone has used the headmen long tube 1 pc headers pt.69490 with the motor mounts that u r supposed to use with them pt.4689 dose the engine sit any differnt in the truck than it would with the shorty headers and the mounts that comes in the kit. any help would b nice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2013, 12:35 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleenorracin View Post
i have 85 s10 was wondering if anyone has used the headmen long tube 1 pc headers pt.69490 with the motor mounts that u r supposed to use with them pt.4689 dose the engine sit any differnt in the truck than it would with the shorty headers and the mounts that comes in the kit. any help would b nice
The engine will sit about the same, but the headers and engine mount need to match to get tube clearance.

Bogie
Old 05-09-2013, 02:29 PM

u have any pics of this set up or know any one who does so i can c what it all looks like
Old 05-09-2013, 04:49 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleenorracin View Post
u have any pics of this set up or know any one who does so i can c what it all looks like
I do not except for one with shorty headers that I could take pictures of but it uses the Mike Knell installation which is different from the Headman as it modifies the sub mount adapter of the 2.5 Iron Duke and sandwiches the V6 rubber mount between the adapter and the block. However the package is so tight you can't get clear shots of the engine mounts. Mike has two comprehensive books on this subject, I highly recommend you buy both regardless of whose install kit or process you go with.
Chevrolet S-10 Truck
V-8 Conversion Manual
JTR Chevrolet S-10 Truck V-8 Conversion

Chevrolet TPI & TBI
V8 Engine Swapping
V8 TPI & TPI Engine Swap, JTR V8 conversion manual

The Headman sub mount uses the Small 90 degree block V6 or V8 rubber mounts which is quite different than Knell's approach. Headman sells complete kits which include the pan which you will need, they are also different for left or right mount dipsticks. Knell's approach uses the factory pan and will accept left or right dipstick locations.

Forget using 4.3 liter V6 radiators they just don't work. The Corvette unit Mike talks about is marginally OK but pricey the same can be said for the specific S10/15 V8 conversion radiators. The 78-83 Malibu unit is easy to fit, does not require cutting the truck's radiator frame as the filler is angled off the side allowing the hood to close. These can be found in brass as well, 3 row brass cools the same as 2 row aluminum. Idleing and slow traffic being the biggest cooling problem as its hard to get enough fan in there to pull air when your not moving or moving little. This will cool the top end as well as all legal speeds once you get going. These are had new for cheap 1979 Chevrolet malibu All Aluminum Radiator 5.7L V8 350 | All Aluminum Radiator | Chevrolet Parts
Another that I found works well is the Summit 381331. This is about the same size as the Malibu radiator but the filler is on top and will interfer with the hood unless you open the top and engine side face of truck's radiator frame to let it drop into the frame.

You should consider the older short water pump and the accessory mounts and pulleys that requires. This opens the space between the water pump and radiator allowing space for a decent shroud for the fan. This overcomes the idle to low speed cooling issues by getting more air thorugh more of the core than a fan alone can.

You will be constantly space challanged under the hood.

Bogie

Last edited by oldbogie; 05-09-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:16 PM

thanks 4 all the replys i already have the shortys and the mounts to go with that set up. just wanted to c how the engine sat with long tubes and the style of mounts to go with them. but thanks 4 the info
Old 05-10-2013, 02:47 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Sling those fosdick shorties over the fence and install some long-tube, tuned fenderwell headers. Whatever's in the way, cut out of the way with a good Sawzall.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:03 PM

lol yea that would work if it was a just a drag truck but im goin to race and drive it so i need a full exhaust.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.