Hot Rod Forum banner

V8's in vegas

928 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  kid with vega 
#1 ·
Hello again

I am planning to put a 327 or 350 V8 into my Vega. I heard about changing the rear end to a ten bolt or twelve bolt which is better. Also about suspension, should i up grade the suspension alot or not to much

#3 ·
Small block Chevies slip into Vegas, it is tight though. They used to sell kits with mounts and headers back when they were more popular. You need to go with the short water pump to get rad clearance. Lots of power in a small car...................shades of "Grumpy Jenkins"

#4 ·
yeah I thought the SBC's will mount in the vegas just the same as the monzas...the monzas and vegas are almost identical. In fact, my pops had a 79 monza and it had a vega hood on it...or so I was told.

I know that with the monza it was a real pain in the *** though. Changing the plugs was an all day affair. That car was mean though.

He let me drive it once with his permission...I had just gotten my license and I was a little scared of it, so I didn't really put my foot down too much.

Then after that I was never allowed to drive it....

It sat in the driveway for years, never driven. One weekend my parents went to Pennsylvania...so I decided it was time to take it out for a quick drive. I took it around the block, I went from about 10-50 on a residential street in the blink of an eye...I pulled it back into the driveway...smiling ear to ear.

A few minutes later my girlfriend came over...I asked her if she wanted to take a spin. So we drove it around the block again. Again the thing went from 10-50 in the blink of an eye. I pulled it into the driveway, pretty happy that I didn't crash it.

Then my heart sunk. I noticed a thin little line of oil going down the driveway and down the block, back into the driveway, then back down the driveway, around the block and back into the driveway...I knew my pops would freak if he knew I drove it...plus the fact that it's leaking blood all over the place!!!!

I spent most of the afternoon on my hands and knees hoping to at least clean the oil off of the driveway...

Pops came home and didn't say a word so I figured I was in the clear. Years later he asked me if I drove it, and before I answered he said "don't lie to me". I said "yes", he said "I know". :spank:

#5 ·
It's been over 15yrs since I had mine. Baddest car I ever owned. Whole lotta power in a tiny package. Mine was a '71 hatchback Vega. The quality sucks but I scanned a few old photos I found of her and uploaded them into my gallery which you can access by simply clicking on the 'gallery' link in my post or clicking on my avatar. With the low sitting fiberglass bucket seats and the 6" snorkel scoop you could barely see in front of you. :thumbup:

#7 ·
unstable said:
D-

the thing that really broke my heart was...pops had probably $15,000 wrapped up in that car and he sold it for $800:sweat:
Yeah, that sucks. I moved right before I got married and had to sell mine. It's been a long time but I think I only got like $2,500 for her. That was in perfect running condition. I regretted selling her almost immediately, but what can you do. That's life.:rolleyes:

#9 ·
PAW carries all the stuff necessary to swap in a SBC, motor mounts, tranny mounts and Vega V8 headers... so now you have no excuse... just be sure to put a healthy 350 in there

im thinking: camel humps, 11:1 comp, single-plane, hyd roller 245 dur @ .050, .600 lift. 750 Holley... single nitrous plate and a set of 8 inch hosier DOT slicks...:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

#10 ·
I like the sound of that, i will be running a drag car by the time i have all that into it hahaha. I just want to keep it kind of simple. But again about body parts, it is really hard to come across original metal parts for the vega, which i am sure some of you guys already know. I am wondering thougth if anyones knows where i can pick up some body parts for the vega, like doors, innner fender wells, hood and front windsheild. If any of you guys know people or businesses that do that kind of stuff, could you please let me know, it would be greatly appriciated!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.