Hot Rod Forum banner

Vacuum advance canister?

14K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  bentwings 
#1 ·
I am looking for the ac delco B28 vacuum canister, but discovered they are discontinued. Is the Autozone DV-1810 the same type of canister? I need a B28 style. Apparantly, they operate on 6-8" of vacuum, is this correct? Anybody know how much timing the B28 will add with 8" of vacuum it idle, (800rpm-in gear)?

#3 ·
Yes the 1810 (B28 spec) if its NAPA uses VC-1810 and autozone uses DV-1810, they should be all in by 8" hg and add up to 16 degrees crank timing @idle on manifold vac, they have a low starting point of about 3" hg. Cant speak for their availability.

For my money the crane points style dist vac adv kit 99601-1 may be a better choice with an adjustable canister. If it is anything like the HEI crane kit you should be able to duplicate the 3-8" hg operation of the B28 along with the 5" hg range. It comes with the limiter plate and springs allowing further tweaking.

#9 ·
Thanks. Very informative article.
I think I found what I need in the list.

Since my vac at idle is relatively low, the B28 or VC 1810 is the one to use.
It's not recommended except for application with low vac and radical cams.

I'll order one this week and give it a try. Can't be any worse than what I have.

Thanks again

#10 ·
Well hitting AZ, NAPA, and O'reiley I came up with a blank. they could not find the unit I requested.

Gave up and ordered an adjustable vac advance unit. I did find the specs for it on the Accell web site. It is pretty fast acting in that it starts advancing at pretty low vac and is all in by 12-13 in at max deg of advance. About 1/2 way should work for my blower motor. I'm thinking about 10 crank deg to start and maybe work up to 15. I'm sure hoping to pick up the mpg I've lost since busting the original vac adv.

I won't get to try it untill the week end however. I have senior baseball practice both days so I'm going to be pretty worn out.

#11 ·
Got the adj vac adv today.

Quality leaves a lot to be desired. I spent about 20 min trying to get the allen wrench to engage the internal hex. Finally I tweeked the mounting bracket and gently forced the allen wrench into the socket. The internal guts seemed to be loose in that turning the allen wrench ccw as instructed only met with limited resistance then a "click." I wiggled the actuator rod a little and the internal guts seemed to take a seat.

From here I can adjust it as per the instructions. Sure hope this thing stays adjusted as it will be very difficult to reach once installed.

Made in the USA I think.

#12 ·
Accell products have been questioned for quality issues before, I doubt it is a native soil piece. Interested to know if the adjustments actually allow you to set the limit or the max amount of vacuum advance as well as the starting point/range as claimed. I guess you will need to put a light on the motor and check it to see, let us know.

#16 ·
Looking at the Accel instructions...
1 turn out vac adv starts about 8in all in by 9in. about 3 crank deg.
9 turns out vac adv starts about 4 in all in by 11 in about 29 crank deg.

It seems to be pretty linear in terms of turns , deg, start point and end point.

Poor resolution on the instructin page.

The adjustment seems to be for motors with quite low vac at idle. It looks like you put this thing on and you will get most of the vac adv travel below 10 in except for the very long adv adjustment. This is all in by by about 11 in.

More than likely going from no vac adv to active vac adv will pick up vac and it simply will give full dialed adv when you plug it in.

I have a hand vac pump and gage so I'll give it a test before I install it tomorrow night. Assuming I don't do something stupid like I did the last time I installed the vac adv. haha

#17 ·
I have done the same bench test with a crane unit. Used a pump to see what the start of travel was in "hg and then what the end point was in "hg compared to turns out on the screw.

The crane unit always has the same length of travel on the actuation rod so the amount of vacuum advance added is the same for the entire adjustment range. Crane uses the limiter plate for a way to limit the amount added, accell uses a "one screw fits all" method and must have an end stop in there that is changed via the set screw, the screw must change the spring zero or start point at the same time it changes the limit of travel.

Two ways to skin a cat I suppose.

The advantage to the accell unit would be on an HEI application (if it does what they say it does). The crane limiter plate adjusts both the base timing (moves the reluctor static position) and the actuator rod starting vacuum in " hg (shifts the spring range up) as well as the limit when the plate is adjusted, it is mounted on the back side of the rod. When you adjust the limit on the accell HEI unit with the screw you are not changing the initial timing as it increases the allowable limit without moving the reluctor becuase the limit is on the front side or end of travel on the rod.

#18 ·
I believe you are right on the way the Accel unit works.

Time will tell whether it works.

My main interest is getting the idle leaner and adding at least 10 deg timing right in the idle range. This will bring back the mpg I have lost as this is how it originally worked before I blew out the vac diaphram.

Additionally I need to look at a way to bleedoff boost to the vac adv unit.

I have to check again how much vac there is under the carbs at full boost and in the 5000-5500 range. If it is less than 5 in I can just hook the vac adv to the carbs as the vac adv does not start until after this.. I have a cheezy check valve that is supposed to go to the vac modulator but I have not used it. The thing is just a tee with a ball check in the vertical leg. Pressure lifts it up and there is no pressure on the diaphram.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.