vacuum advance wont adjust? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2010, 02:54 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

vacuum advance wont adjust?

I have this distributor:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...4725&viewitem=

It was on the car when i bought it. Since then ive changed the rotor cap and coil with msd parts. Now i want to adjust the vacuum advance and i read its adjustable. I called tech support and was told to insert allen wrench into the port and turn clockwise or counter to adjust. Ive bottomed it out, turned it in about halfway, and tightened it in. It just will not change how much vacuum advance i want. Its always at about 22 extra at part throttle.

Is there something else you must do to change it? Im not sure if its just the canister and obviously i cant return it, but i might just buy a different canister if no one knows!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2010, 02:59 PM

Last photo:

I just called the tech support again to see if theres anything extra to do to adjust it, but their tech isnt in. A younger girl answered and told me that usually you can adjust it just by an allen wrench, but i guess ill call again tomorrow. VERY good customer service btw, most will just hang up on you if they know you didnt buy the item.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:59 PM

Last photo:

Wow. That's cheap for a NEW distributor...
Old 05-28-2010, 04:10 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

If I understand it correctly, not all adjustable vacuum advance cans work the same.

Some like the Crane 99600-1 (shown in a kit, they are also available separately) will alter the amount of vacuum it takes to begin the advance movement, but the total amount of movement (amount of advance, in other words) is fixed.

Vacuum advance cans like the ACCEL 31035, as an example, is an adjustable vacuum advance can for the GM HEI that allows infinite adjustment to both the amount and rate of advance.

If the vac. adv. can on your present distributor is adjustable for both total and when it comes in, adjust it to suit the needs of the engine- I'd start w/a limit of around 10 for the total vacuum advance. The vacuum where the the vacuum advance is all in by, is dependant on what the cruise/light throttle vacuum is.

To limit the amount of advance w/an OEM or some adjustable (for tip-in only- NOT total advance applied) cans like the Crane can above, you will need to physically limit the vac can's travel w/a VACUUM ADVANCE LIMITER PLATE- Crane #99619-1: 99619-1 INSTRUCTIONS.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:14 PM
More for Less Racer

All the adjustment of the allen screw in the vacuum advance does is adjust the the amount of vacuum it takes to move the mechanism, it does not adjust the amount in degrees of advance added. To alter the amount added you will have to limit the length of the slot the end of the vacuum advance mechanism's rod rides in or used the Crane Limiter Plate for vacuum advance.

Last edited by ericnova72; 05-28-2010 at 04:15 PM. Reason: tree'd on the info
Old 05-28-2010, 05:09 PM

Last photo:

Thanks guys, that makes alot more sense. I didnt think of it that way. Ill do another test to see if if the rate changes, so i need a lock out plate? How does that work? Is that the little place that sits inside the distributor that has the ridges on it?
Old 05-28-2010, 05:31 PM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

The plate is used to limit the amount of travel allowed on the can push rod end. Sounds like you have one one there already? It is inside the dist. under the rotor on the left side. It can afford adjustments by turning its eccentric plate towards or away from the end of the can push rod, the plate is screwed down at one central point to allow it to swivel. The instructions are easy to follow but it is a trial and error process since adjustments to limit the amount of added advance requires removal of dist cap each time. I have a vested interest in this thread, i may have the same dizzy...to be determined.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:31 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroker444
How does that work? Is that the little place that sits inside the distributor that has the ridges on it?
It just blocks the movement, and yes it's the part w/the notches:

VACUUM ADVANCE LIMITER PLATE- Crane #99619-1: 99619-1 INSTRUCTIONS.

The Accel can I linked you to above does allow adjustment to both the amount and rate of advance, it is different than the Crane part.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:56 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom10
The plate is used to limit the amount of travel allowed on the can push rod end. Sounds like you have one one there already? It is inside the dist. under the rotor on the left side. It can afford adjustments by turning its eccentric plate towards or away from the end of the can push rod, the plate is screwed down at one central point to allow it to swivel. The instructions are easy to follow but it is a trial and error process since adjustments to limit the amount of added advance requires removal of dist cap each time. I have a vested interest in this thread, i may have the same dizzy...to be determined.
No, i had the distributor apart before and i didnt see one. I was doing a search on youtube a few days ago about vacuum advance and saw that in a distributor so i was just wondering. I may just buy another canister, would it be worth it? I dont know if the one i have now is of good quality, id hate for it to give out on the highway and have to waste alot of gas over it. If anyone thinks i should just by another one, which is the absolute best for the money? I know its not much for performance, but reliabilty is worth spending a bit more for, to me anyway.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:29 PM
More for Less Racer

I'd give the Crane limiter plate a try with the can you have if it was me, that is the method I have always used successfully
Old 05-28-2010, 07:40 PM
WFO

Last photo:

It would also be the cheapest way, to boot.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:56 PM

Last photo:

I see that from summit the block off plate will not ship till june 28.... is there somewhere else to buy one?
Old 05-31-2010, 05:37 PM

Last journal entry: Project garage complete!
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroker444
I see that from summit the block off plate will not ship till june 28.... is there somewhere else to buy one?
If you go thru Cobalts327 photo album he shows a pic of a adjustable arm stop, that I am sure is very simple to fab from a light piece of steel or alumn.

I added one to my dist. and used a .086 drill bit to measure the distance of advance and it allows just enough advance for my ZZ-4.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.