Vacuum forming - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2006, 04:16 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ok Mr. Eddie Paul here is a chance to vindicate yourself on your video you talk about doing CAD drawings and then a wooden patter/buck to vaccum form "parts". I imagine this is plastic being molded. this could easily be taken into an interiors post.

Enlighten us on what it is that you do that could help us out here. Im thinking door panels, center consoles.

And welcome back glad to see you did not get all butt hurt

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2006, 04:37 PM

Last photo:

First off, I do not need to vindicate myself, but to answer your question, I use AutoCAD to rough a concept out, then I can build a 3-D model of it in Rhino to see what it looks like, this way I can add draft to the part ( so the part will release from the Plug). I then convert it into a G-Code program in Rhino Cam, put that into my 3-D router and rout a 3-D part from the drawing. This part then goes on a vacuum forming table and with 1/8” or ¼” ABS I can pull a part off of the Plug (that I just made out of wood) and repeat the process as many times as I need parts. You can make almost anything this way. In fact, I made the bodies for Tow Mater and Lightning as well as the parts of the TAXI car this way. I am making a roof for this boat now out of ¼” ABS and it will be pained later to match the boat.

Eddie Paul.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:45 PM

Last photo:

Is there anyway you can form the plastic with out the use of a vacumm table? that would be a stumbling block for most of us here. I have access to some machinery but I would have no idea on who to turn to on a vac table.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:41 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lo59apache
Is there anyway you can form the plastic with out the use of a vacumm table? that would be a stumbling block for most of us here. I have access to some machinery but I would have no idea on who to turn to on a vac table.

Sure, and it is easy and cheap, I am (not sure I can say this but...) doing a new book for (don’t think I can say the name of the publisher) and it is on working in plastic and Vacuum forming plastics if you can wait a bit ( about a week) I can put some excerpts on this forum saving me a lot of writing, I will be explaining how to build the equipment your self for very little money. (Can I say money?) gotta get baack to my boat now.... can I say boat?
Eddie Paul
Old 11-28-2006, 06:00 PM

Last photo:

You can say just about anything you want, just dont advertise. As for the book a "refrence" to the name would be good but I dont think a link to your website and how much to pay would be good.

Sounds like good reading does it have a money back warranty. Wait thats the real estate guys that make a fortune selling books and not investing on real eastate.

my bad

Last edited by lo59apache; 11-28-2006 at 06:01 PM. Reason: type o
Old 11-28-2006, 08:20 PM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

[QUOTE= mikey

Edit this in: I own a shop where I build cars. That's all I do. I have people come in to my shop and act like they are my friend in order to get me to help them for free on thier project. as soon as I help them, they are gone, never to be seen again until they need something else. I hear promises of many things that might help me, but few come to pass.

I have started to ask them when the last time they came to take me to lunch, or help me get a car done, or sweep or put my tools away. Because I do have folks that do that. Even just asking if I need something that they could help with, shows what they are willing to share.

I know who my friends are. I help them freely.[/QUOTE]mikey
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Know that feeling real well.... you always have friends,, when THEY need your help,, but are never there when YOU need their help ,,,,,,,, Bill

Last edited by Bad Rat; 11-29-2006 at 03:09 PM.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:25 AM

Last journal entry: Bringing home the 401 Nailhead
Last photo:

Quote:
Just a thought here. A lot of ourdoor sign shops use vacuum tables to form their signs. Could possibly negotiate with them to "form" your piece. Construct your 3-d mold and have them do the rest for a price.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:34 AM

Last journal entry: New Carb
Last photo:

http://www.studiocreations.com/howto...ble/index.html
Old 11-29-2006, 09:11 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Now that was interesting and looks like it is doable at home. The size of your home oven could be a limitation though. Anybody have any ideas on how to get around that? I guess you could make you own oven out of sheet metal and use a couple of home stove heating elements.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:18 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Maybe you could make friends with the guy who owns local pizzaria I wonder what pizza with ABS seasoning tastes like?

Back at Poli Form I helped build some vacuum forming molds and we sent them over to a plastics forming shop in Santa Cruz. The guy was happy to do the vacuum forming part. Easy money for him with minimal responsibility.

The molds we made were the production molds for a company that made electric wheelchairs and all we needed were a set of proof parts. We farmed the abs part out because we had no oven or vacuum table. Also it was a fairly deep draw.

A few years back I made the form for a streamliner windshield made out of 1/4" lexan. I sent that out to another company for forming and they were very happy to do that part.

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 11-29-2006, 09:33 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Do you remember what it cost to do one part?
Old 11-29-2006, 09:38 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by home brew
Do you remember what it cost to do one part?
IIRC the windshield was about 500.00 with the cost of the lexan included. It took a half of a sheet of 1/4" lexan.

I know the cost of the windshield was high because the skill required to keep the lexan optically perfect was great. The shop owner had to do it.

It was 1988 when I helped with the molds for that wheelchair body. I never saw the bill, my boss took care of that part. The company was called Roto-Form plastics. We found them in the phone book under "plastics manufacturers"

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 11-29-2006, 10:23 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjude076
Just a thought here. A lot of ourdoor sign shops use vacuum tables to form their signs. Could possibly negotiate with them to "form" your piece. Construct your 3-d mold and have them do the rest for a price.

Thanks Jude, that sounds like a good idea or atleast something to follow up on.

Thanks for the link Jake

Last edited by lo59apache; 11-29-2006 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:51 PM

Last journal entry: New Carb
Last photo:

Quote:
Thanks for the link Jake
Working on cars that have been abandoned you have to sometimes figure out how to make your own parts. At one time I was looking at a way to make new clear tail light covers. But an aftermarket company started to make them and I never got past the idea stage.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:15 PM

Last journal entry: frankenstude too
Last photo:

vacuum forming

i did a search once online for this.a long time ago....and through seeing pictures .. a vacuum box is basically a box with small holes (1/8-3/16" every inch)drilled on the top maybe a piece of that stuff you hang your tools on might work..
at the side of the box is a tube (simple nylon male connector at the hardware store) to connect to a vacuum cleaner(for suction) then you put the part you want to mold on top of the holes, making sure there is releif angle, lay a piece of the plastic over it, heat with a quartz space heater till it droops over your part, the vacuum will suck it around tight...outside the plasticsheet the holes can be blocked with paper..that is it very basically..

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.