Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Vacuum Gauge craziness??
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012, 10:12 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

[QUOTE=DENCOUCH]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
You wouldn't think the head gasket would be leaking after all that, might want to get a closer look at the valve train while you're at it. Was anything done in the way of adjusting the valves, new cam or followers, ran extra hard? Could have broke a spring, etc.[/QUOTEI

New cam installed. This is his first big go-it-alone project & I was not in any position to assist him with it. It seems that whn he broke down the motor to go big bore, he completely disassembled everything completely for cleaning. The valves in a box, the rockers in another, the rocker shafts... well, you get the idea. I inquired about if he had a valve job while things were apart, and he answered that after reassembling the head, he poured acetone in the ports & did not note any leakage.

One thing out of the ordinary, the rocker arm shaft seems to be loosening up, that is, the nut that holds the shaft in the head & bolts through from the outside. My Son said it keeps leaking & when he puts a wrench to it, it is "loose again"!

Perhaps the rockers on the intake are attempting to seize to the shaft during operation? The valves are being held open?
Could be... what size, make, etc. is this bad boy?