Vacuum pipes - any good tips? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2003, 08:01 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post Vacuum pipes - any good tips?

I need to make up the vacuum pipes on the small block Chevy in my 32 - to feed the power brake servo and the 350 auto box.

I guess I need to use a pipe fitting into one of the threaded holes in the the intake manifold (Edelbrock Performer) and run this with a T-piece under the car.

Will this work OK? Anyone any good ideas using rubber/braided pipes? Any other advice?
MAny thanks, Limey

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2003, 11:16 AM

pull PB off base of carb other wise robes cyl of fuel tranny can be pulled from intake
Old 01-08-2003, 11:54 AM

Last photo:

Simon, for vacuum operated stuff like the brakes and transmission modulator, you should use solid piping like steel brake line or aluminum tubing. Try to keep your rubber tube connections as short as possible so they won't collapse from the vacuum. I wouldn't recommend using rubber or braided line for the entire length, unless its real braided hydraulic hose and not just rubber hose with braided sleeving. Real braided hydraulic hose is very tough.
I just use steel brake line with short rubber connectors. Lots easier.
Old 01-09-2003, 12:17 AM

Last photo:

Thanks guys - I'll have to look more closely at the carb & intake to look for vacuum pick-up points.
Anyone else anything helpful to add please?
Cheers, Limey
Old 01-14-2003, 05:18 AM

Last photo:

Hi Limey Simon,
I tried to reply to your private message but your settings won't allow it.
Funny I'm doing exactly the same thing to my s/b 406 right now.
I don't know why the TH350 modulator valve has the 1/4" nipple and the intake is 3/8" npt.
What I've done before is run the 3/8" line, then just clamp the 3/8" hose down onto the modulator valve.
This time I'm trying something different. I don't know how it's going to work, but I'm running a 1/4" line. To make the 1/4" line line fit (sort of) I swaged an 04 AN flareless ferrule onto the line to act as a tube bead, then clamped behind it.
I hope to find out how it works in a couple of weeks time permitting. This is just an experiment. When I first decided to try 1/4" line I was thinking I would get a faster vacuum signal, but when I compare two equal lengths of the two diameter lines, I find there is much more flow restriction in the 1/4" line, so I may have theorized incorrectly.
Old 01-14-2003, 10:27 AM

Last photo:

i am doing something simular to what hes doing, i was just going to run 2 ports off manifold vac, one to the modulater and the other to a vac canister to feed the break booster, could he do this, and would it work?
Old 01-15-2003, 01:07 PM

reply to your pm . 1/4 brake line works really well, bend to fit 30.in piece, use a reducer from 3/8 to 1/4 at intake, conect with rubber hose and you should be good to go. Modulator has small diaphram doesnt take much vacum to move, use small 2in dim. modulator and adjust the shift point you like, throught the vacum hole with a small screw driver , if new run in (cw) 3 full turns, test drive and turn in 1/4 turn until you reach shift point you like. lots of luck.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.