Vacuum Pump - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2008, 05:13 PM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Vacuum Pump

I inherited a Robinair brand vacuum pump from my Dad. Anyone know anything about them in terms of quality, etc. Unfortunately, there were no instructions. I'll need some expert guidance that I know we have here.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2008, 07:41 PM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi,
On this link page click on manuals,
then click on your model #
Hope this helps,
Rich

http://www.robinair.com/needhelp/needhelp.htm
Old 05-06-2008, 07:47 PM

vacuum pump

Hey,Mi,
these pumps are indispensable when doing a/c work.Robinair has some of the better tools for this. Some commercial or professional grade,some for diy.
After doing a repair on an a/c system you want air and moisture out.You would hook that pump to a port on the system and take the vacuum in the system down to preferably 28Hg.Since water vaporizes at 32Hg. This would extract all the air and water out of the system.The longer you leave it on the system the better the results.Usually an hour would suffice.You would use it on the center port or yellow line on a set of manifold gauges so you can monitor the depth of vacuum.
also it would give you indications of any leaks in the system,if it wont hold vacuum it wont hold gas,hence the system wont work.If you inherited it from your pops it may be set up for R-12 systems.You may have to get an adapter to convert the port on the pump to a fitting compatable with the later model r-134 systems.Although it can have a myriad of other uses.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:36 AM
Member# 3287

Last photo:

Thanks, Rich and Bad. My Dad passed almost 20 years ago. It always gives me a good feeling to be able to use his old tools and equipment.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:12 PM

vac pump

Hey Mi;
This comes a Little late but, yer welcome.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:50 PM

Last photo:

Old Robinaire equipment was top of the line. The only problem could be if it has been tipped over and the oil got out. I also have a some of my dads tools including a screwdriver he made in metal shop in the early 40's.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:41 PM

Last photo:

I've got a Robinair vacuum pump and it works great. You should really change the oil often to keep them from wearing themselves out... the manual recommends changing it after every use.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:55 AM
Member# 3287

Last photo:

I finally got a pic of the vacuum pump. I researched the Robinaire site but there's no way I can send them a pic.

Anyone know about the care and feeding of this? I have no idea what kind of oil it takes or how much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	048.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	30852  
Old 06-30-2008, 05:08 PM

vac pump

Hey again MI,

Wow that thing belongs in a museum! But all of them are basically the same.If you remove the cover you'll find a small pump inside,somewhat similar to a 12v tire pump.There should be an access port for oil,(small drain plug)if you are lucky maybe even a sight port to get a visual on the oil level.These things get pretty warm after extended use so I would change the oil after 10-20 hrs. use.It has a small piston and a small crankcase the port would be below the piston in the crankcase.Best to use the recommended light weight pump oil.That looks to be an early commercial model so if it works it should be a pretty good unit.

Good Luck
Badwrench 3
Old 06-30-2008, 05:33 PM

Just stop at any refrigeration supply place and ask for vacuum pump oil. Slod by the quart or gallon. It's a highly refined mineral oil just for vacuum pumps. The reason you change oil after every use is to get rid of any water that may contanimate the oil from the system you are pumping down. Good luck and enjoy your stuff. Tom F.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:42 PM
Member# 3287

Last photo:

Thanks for the info, guys.

I called Robinair today, which is apparently part of SPX now. The guy there was less than helpful and essentially said he couldn't/wouldn't help me. He gave me an e-mail address that turned out to be worthless.

I opened the unit up yesterday and took some pics which I will try to attach. There is a port (tube) that exits out the back which must be for the oil, but there's no sight glass. I was hoping Robinair could help out there.

Is there a problem if I overfill it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	040.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	30876   Click image for larger version

Name:	041.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	219.5 KB
ID:	30877   Click image for larger version

Name:	043.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	30878  
Old 07-03-2008, 05:29 PM

Vacum Pump

Wow!!!
I made an assumption(spelled "***-me") that this was going to be a run of the mill pump.This one is similar to early refrigerator (almost ice box era) refrigerant pumps.They were encased and totally submerged in a nasty black oily substance to dissipate heat.Hence the vanes around the outside of the tank.As far as service or maintenance on this beast I'm lost.Disassembled one once just out of curiosity,what a mess.But did come away with a sweat little piston,made a cool gearshift knob for a 48 panhead.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:24 AM
Member# 3287

Last photo:

During my "totally expert" disassembly, I managed to tip the unit and a light oil spilled out of the intake or exhaust port. I'm guessing that was the vacuum pump oil. I'll have to try to get some more.

The unit has been setting for over 20 years so it might be best to totally empty and refill it. The amount of refill is the question. I'm told if they're over filled they "spit" the excess out...??? I'll try filling up to the rear port level while the unit is upright.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-25-2008, 09:16 PM
Squido

Last wiki edit: How to get specific belt sizes for custom applicat...
Wiki Edits: 3

If there is a drain for the oil just measure hhow much comes out and put that much back plus an ounce or two. When in use they don't use or lose a lot of oil, so chances are it has the correct amount of oil in it.
Most vacuum pumps today have an additional port on them called a ballest. The ballest is used to help eliminate moisture from the oil when the unit is running.
When evacuating a refrigerant system the vacuum pump will quickly remove the air/refrigerant in the system and start to put the system in a deep vacuum. This takes time and during this pumping very little is passing through the pump as it works to pull the deep vacuum on the system and allow any moisture to evaporate and be drawn out. If there is a ballest valve it can be opened at this time to allow some air to pass through the crankcase and take moisture with it. 29.92 inches of mercury is a perfect vacuum. Very hard to accurately read a deep vacuum on a gauge so a micron gauge is used.
Squido
Old 07-26-2008, 10:23 PM

Last wiki edit: Hand cleaner Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

i have an everco vacuum pump that is like the pump in yours, mine is not in any kind of enclosure.
mine uses 12 oz of either 10W40 motor oil or A/C vacuum pump oil. i have always used vacuum pump oil.
i change the oil in mine after ever fifth use unless i have a dirty system, then i change it right away.
if it hasn't been used for a couple of months, i change the oil before i use it.
to drain mine, there is a drain plug on the bottom of the pump. to refill it, i simply hook a hose to the suction fitting & put the other end of the hose in the oil, i turn the pump on and draw the oil into the pump. there is no danger of me over filling it, the excess will be blown out the exhaust fitting.
this is a guess, but i believe the exhaust port on yours is the bottom fitting.
yours looks to be a little taller than mine, i would put 16 oz in it & see if it spits any out the exhaust port.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.