Valances and fender/quarter extensions on or off to paint? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2011, 01:27 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Valances and fender/quarter extensions on or off to paint?

I'll be painting my 67 shortly, with PPG 33728

(Not my pic).

I'll be doing the jambs and what not with the car disassembled, and then assembling, priming, then painting the exterior.

My question is, should I paint the jambs of the little oddball parts like the valances, and fender extensions and headlight buckets when the car is disassembled, then paint those parts on the car as well, or can those be left off? I'm wondering if paint matching would be a big deal with those parts as they have odd angles, and not really much 'continuity'. Although it might be easier for me to do them on the car as I have to mask out stripes, but, I'd like to hear your opinions!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2011, 06:12 AM

Last journal entry: rust on lt body shell
Last photo:

I would paint off the car.The same with head light bucket those should be removed.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:04 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,331 Times in 1,153 Posts
You are very wise to be thinking about this Johnny. With a metallic color, even though I am super anal about spraying panels off the car EXACTLY the same way I would never spray the headlamp bezels or quarter extensions off the car.

This is my trick with those Mustang front and rear extensions. I paint behind them first, then I bolt them on but with a stack of washers over the stud so they stick out away from the quarter and fender a half inch or so. This way you are ensured that the color will be EXACTLY the same, and the paint goes around the edges nice so it looks like you painted them off the car.

While assembling the car I simply remove the washers and put the little gaskets back on (the quarters extensions) and bolt them on to a perfect color match.

Depending on the paint and the color just a LITTLE different spray technique can produce quite a different appearance. And shooting the quarter panel on the car, for that matter shooting a complete and then turning around and shooting that little extension on a rack EXACTLY the same can be difficult.

The stock valances aren't that critical. But if you have something like that air dam in front that meets up with the fender like I see, you may want to do the same thing. The problem with the this is as with the rear valance on that Mustang you can't pull it back from the quarter and still get around the edges good. On the extensions when you move them away from the panel they are even in height, so you the paint sprays around each edge nice. With the valance if you were to do that it is sticking out away from the end of the quarter and obstructing the "view" of the paint gun and it can't get the edge of the quarter where it bolts up. So I suggest you hang the valance, at least stock ones.

And when you hang it, hang it as it is on the car.

Brian

Last edited by MARTINSR; 06-15-2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:43 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the detailed response! I only have the stock front valance for now (I had too much work fitting the fiberglass parts I had, as it is. )

So, if I paint them on the car, but jamb behind the headlight buckets and quarter extensions before I assemble and paint the car, is it really necessary for me to do the quarter trick? I mean I'll be jambing and painting behind the decklid and hood and all that jazz anyways, so is there any problem with just including the extensions, then bolting them to the car normally afterwards?

edit: I meant to say when I'm jambing the car, I'll be jambing the area where the valances attach as well.. Pretty much behind everything that bolts to the car. Is this not normal practice?
Old 06-15-2011, 11:07 AM

Last photo:

You need to space the extensions out because they fit too tight and you could get paint and or clear bridging across them. On the rear, I'll be damned if I can remember but on the 64-66 they had a rubber seal on that extension that you would want to install after paint. On yours I am not sure, but again simply put some washers and after paint unbolt it, remove them (as I remember it needs one to space it properly) and bolt them back on.

On the valance, yeah it the gap is large enough, the rear shouldn't be a problem. On the front as I remember they bolt pretty tight and the paint and or clear could bridge it. Just leave it loose with a shim of some kind then remove the shim and tighten.

Brian
Old 06-15-2011, 01:44 PM

Last photo:

Aha.. Now I understand. THanks man! So jamb anyways, then do the quarter trick.. Gotcha.

Now, a quick question about jambing. When I'm painting the jambs, and underhood, and all that, do I use foam tape at that point? Or just when I have the car assembled?

or when I have the car disassembled, and I'm jambing it, use the foam tape, and then mask with paper after the foam tape?
Old 06-15-2011, 03:19 PM

Last photo:

Here is a lot of info on the subject. "Basics of Basics" Paint it together or in pieces. (click here)

Brian
Old 06-15-2011, 03:37 PM

Last photo:

Martin, I've read your basics write-ups hundreds of times, don't worry about that. But what I'd like to find is a good video or demonstration of masking foam being used, and various other things. All the info that people point to are just like 3M videos on youtube, and they don't explain much. I'd like to see a video of a car dismantled, masked, jambed, unmasked, assembled, masked, then sprayed.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:15 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

[QUOTE=JohnnyK81 But what I'd like to find is a good video or demonstration of masking foam being used, and various other things. .[/QUOTE]

kinda like?
http://www.a2zautoforums.com/showthr...=4685#post4685
Old 06-16-2011, 09:14 PM

Last photo:

Thanks milo.. I think that's a little too vague for my noobie masking questions though.. Also the pictures are too small for my noobie eyes!
Old 06-16-2011, 09:35 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

yeah , . it's an oldie, you got to click on the pictures to make them bigger..

here's one that shows the foam tape better,
Wait err, there's a fly in my paint..
Old 06-17-2011, 12:15 AM

so cool
Old 06-17-2011, 12:54 AM

Last photo:

I know I have to click on the pictures...

So, when spraying the backsides of the panels.. Say a hood laying upside down. Do I mask the other side? Hard edge with tape, or soft edge with foam (on the top of the hood.. Which is pointing to the ground)? Or do I not mask it and just let it overspray?
Old 06-17-2011, 01:34 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

Let over spray do what it does..then use it for guide a coat when you prep the other side and then mask to protect your good edges
Old 06-17-2011, 08:25 PM

Last photo:

But the overspray can't be used as a guide coat, as I'm going to cover it with epoxy and high build! (I'm not going to epoxy and high build the exterior until I jamb everything and throw it back together.. I have space issues).

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.