Value of Dodge Flathead 6 cly? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2007, 09:38 AM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

It's been years since I worked on a slant six.

They are built to last, and I think they did real good on gas. 170 and 225 cubic inches. A lot of early Valiants & small Darts had standard transmissions, (we had a 60-61 Valiant wagon with an original 3 speed floor shifter- I think all the early standards on cheaper base model cars had floor shifters)and the optional auto will last a long time.

I know the older ones I worked on were all solid lifters, and most owners did not adjust them, so expect some/ or a lot of valve noise on a used motor....just re-adjust them and it will be super quiet.

If your e-brake is on the back of your original trans, then you would need to swap in a rear with normal e-brake....plus you could get a better ratio that way. But those early Dart/Valiants had a tiny 5 lug pattern that is 4" bolt circle, so maybe get a different rear with a pattern that possibly would match whatever the 47 has on the front?

Might be some speed stuff for them also. I've seen chrome valve covers & 4 barrel manifolds on Ebay before.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2007, 11:05 AM
'58 Longbox Fleetside

Last photo:

wander over to slantsix.org if you are interested for more info on them. The guys there specialize in those engines.

Definitly some interesting articles there.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:14 PM

Flat 6 Dodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427v8
I need an engine & trans for my 29 dodge project.

I found a non running dodge flathead 6 with a transmission, all pedals, all accessories except the distributor. I can even et the engine mounts :-D
It's even local...

They want $250 for it.

Deal or no Deal?

Keith
First off,I am assuming it is a 1942 or newer 230 cubic inch passenger car or half-ton pickup engine,and not a pre-1942 smaller Dodge engine,not a 218 Plymouth engine,and not a bigger truck engine.

Seems to me if it is a 230 and it is rebuildable,it is a good deal if the transmission is a standard transmission,and not a fluid drive transmission. Most (all?) Dodge passenger cars from the early 40's (my 42 coupe came iwth a fluid drive tranny from the factory) to the early 50's came with the fluid drive. Even some pickups. If it has a standard transmission it MIGHT be a Plymouth engine instead of a Dodge. No big deal,but the Dodge has more power and is more popular.

BTW,I know for a fact that some 48 Dodge pickups came from the factory with the floor shift 3-speed transmission in them,so you would probably want to look for a 1948 or earlier half-ton pickup so the shifter would look right in your 29 DeSoto coupe. No,mine isn't for sale.

Offenhauser still makes a 2x1 intake for the 230's,and Fenton makes cast iron headers. I also know of a couple of guys that will split your factory exhaust manifold to give you dual exhausts.

There is even a guy making new finned aluminum high compression heads for them. His email address is below. I have never seen one of his heads "live",but have heard people say good things about them. I have no connection whatsoever with this man,other than a email inquiry I sent him about his heads and his high-performance flat 6 cams.

dgerton@pacbell.net

Come to think of it,you can even buy a GM HEI distributor that has been converted to work with the 230 Dodge. The Stovebolt Company that sells all the stuff for the inline 6 GM's is the one who handles that one.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:35 AM
speed on..hell aint half full.

Last photo:

right you are, the fluid drives are pretty tricky and a lil parasitic....I got a 230 flatty and a manual 3speed in my 47' project...I was thinkin of deep 6in the 230 cause i heard that old polyhead 318's will bolt right up? but the more I look at that old mill the more i like it....realisticly, what kinda power can you get outta those old dogs? they got a helluva stroke on em' gotta make some torque eh?
Old 08-21-2007, 09:07 AM

230 Flat 6 power

>>.realisticly, what kinda power can you get outta those old dogs?<<

I guess that depends on how much money you want to spend and how you plan on using the car.

I look at it this way. The flathead Ford V-8's from 40's only had 85 hp stock,and they had enough power to cruise at highway speeds all day. Starting in 1942,the 230 cubic inch Dodge flat 6 had 105 hp. If 85 hp is enough for a driver,one with a additional 20 hp should work fine.

Now,add a 2x1 intake,mill the head a little,and add a split exhaust,and there is no reason you shouldn't be able to pull 130 hp. No,you are not going to smoke the tires off of it like this or be able to take on a Hemi Cuda,but there is no reason you wouldn't be able to cruise all day at 70 MPH with modern rear gears,and you will have enough power to pull them.

Then again,I am keeping the flat 6 230 in my 42 coupe,and adding the hi-po parts to it,so I might be a little biased. I will probably change to a floor shift truck manual transmission in place of the fluid drive,though.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:02 PM
speed on..hell aint half full.

Last photo:

Thats kinda what I was thinkin (as far as comparing to a merc flatty) Now, I got a 47 p/u truck, channeled pretty low, bobbed about 1 1/2' off the bed and got ridda the leaf springs (c/o now) So shes a good bit lighter than stock.. you dont know the stock torque output of those old crycos do ya?
Did you mill your head down? how much can you take out before she crashes valves?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.