Value of a street rod, why so much fluxiation in prices? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2003, 10:15 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Value of a street rod, why so much fluxiation in prices?

Hey all,

Before I decided to build a car, I looked all over the country at cars. (Lets use a '33 -34 Ford for example)

Why is there such a large fluxuation in prices.... for example $30K up to $80K for similar cars? (I'm not talking about ultra custom show cars, just nice driveable rides in great shape)

When an appraiser looks at the car, what determines, that an almost identical car is worth 20K more then the one sitting next to it... considering similar build components, condition, etc.

Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2003, 11:25 AM
Rebuilt Excitment

Last photo:

I do quite a few appraisals, a lot of things go into the assessment of the value, the number one is the quality of the workmanship. Another is the quality of the parts used. When you are building your car keep all of the receipts that you can. I personally like to ride in the car prior to giving my final opinion of the car, although it is not necessary especially on a rare car.
Old 10-31-2003, 11:44 AM
Got Ouzo for touzo

Last photo:

Steel vs. Glass body reproductions, would in my opinion make quite a bit of difference. Of course craftsmanship, what parts are used. Etc, Etc.. '33-'34 Fords I would think anyways would show this difference quite a bit as well as a Steel Willy's and a Glass Willy's would.

bonuts
Old 10-31-2003, 10:18 PM

Another reason is how much U love your car or how bad U need to unload it. Some guys want to recover every penny they have invested, plus a profit. Others advertise " Over $50K invested, will sell for $30K or best offer!" And they're not kidding.

kitkar
Old 11-01-2003, 07:19 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

When it comes to old cars, street rod, antique, or just an untouched original, the value is really determined by what someone is willing to take and what someone is willing to pay!!! In my case, I have two vehicles that are not for sale, thus there is no price on them. There is an adage out there that says "...everything has a price.". Well, in 1981 when I had finished my 36 PU the first time, I moved to Austin, Tex, home of the UT Long Horns. Their colors were cream and burnt orange. My PU was the same colors (totally coincidental) and it attracted wealthy UT grads like bees to honey. My answer was "It's not for sale". Finally, one came up with the old adage, and his attitude ruffled my feathers and I responded with an exorbitant figure of $50,000. After a long pause, in which I had a big sinking feeling he was going to call my bluff, he said " You really don't want to sell it after all." Then and there, I said never again will I put a price on something I do not want to sell. Now my answer is "six figures". Many people respond after some numbers crunching time and say, "You want $100,000!" and I reply "No, you did not listen, I said 6 figures". More numbers crunching time and I say," Yep that could be one buck less than one million dollars". After all this, and what other members have stated on workmanship, quality of pars used, etc, you need to look at selling prices, because that is the agreed upon value of the vehicle. Now look at the location the vehicle is sold, which most likely causes the variation in selling prices. (like in selling homes/businesses/property, it really is location, location, location!)
Old 11-01-2003, 04:06 PM
Home Built Rods No Rules

Last journal entry: Home Made Sheetmetal bender plans
Last photo:

Quote:
Over $50K invested,will sell for $30K or best offer! And they're not kidding
Something I never will understand
Old 03-20-2014, 06:27 PM

curious....

I have way more invested than anyone would ever pay for it...so I guess I just keep it.

Last edited by skybrake; 03-20-2014 at 06:41 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:58 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

there are no set values. a car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it . it has been a buyers market in streetrods for over 5 years. supply and demand .
Old 03-21-2014, 10:10 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybrake View Post
I have way more invested than anyone would ever pay for it...so I guess I just keep it.
Pretty much depends on how bad you want that next project or need to unload this one; not many make a profit on their babies, or are able to store every car they invest in.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 03-21-2014, 10:35 AM

Last photo:

Another issue is that today it usually costs more to build a car than the market value. The exception would be if the owner is blessed with "all hot rod building skills" ...and builds it completely by himself. The dollars invested would be much lower... but of course the owner would be giving up a large amount of his time that he wouldn't get paid for.

Bottom line...

How much is invested in it does not matter AT ALL when it comes to what a buyer is willing to spend......... Period!

If motorheads don't like this fact... then buy a finished car next time instead of building it, and you will probably win!

Of course, if you like to "build".......

The trade off is the enjoyment of the design, fab, and assembly work... craftsmanship... satisfaction of having it exactly as you want it to be... and finally, the pride of your accomplishment. For some folks that is worth far more than the dollars. {:-) Think of it as paying for entertainment. It really IS an enjoyable experience for many... and you probably wouldn't mind paying for a trip to any other kind of "amusement park"!

Last edited by TucsonJay; 03-21-2014 at 10:56 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TucsonJay For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (03-27-2014), skybrake (03-21-2014), tech69 (03-28-2014)
Old 03-21-2014, 11:06 AM
Banned

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine View Post
there are no set values. a car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it . it has been a buyers market in streetrods for over 5 years. supply and demand .

Yes indeed a buyers market for the past 5 years. And this thread is 11 years old
Old 03-21-2014, 11:12 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killeratrod View Post
Yes indeed a buyers market for the past 5 years. And this thread is 11 years old
and your point is ???
Old 03-25-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killeratrod View Post
Just goes to show that as time goes by, so do rod values and opinions. Still valid, IMO.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:31 PM

Last photo:

Vicky at A dear

When you build a 32-33-34 the parts alone can break the bank. I have no labor cost in my car that I'm building, When I first looked at it, the body looked fairly decent, it was a CMC body and they were not having the trouble they started later on. I was also VP of MSRA at the time and in charge of vendors for BTT50's. They cut me a good deal on the car, thinking if they came to the show they would get a good spot, which they did not.

Now I was also looking at a 33 steel 3W which was beat all to hell, the fenders were junk, many parts missing, and the frame was shot, and the guy wanted more than I got the CMC for.

When I got this car Good glass cars well built, were getting as much as aveage steel ones. I don't think that holds true today. But I also think building one of these three years would cost you more than buying one.

I know I will never get out of mine, what I have in it, but I don't intend to sell it, it's the last car I'm building. I will drive it until I can't drive anymore, Then park it in the shop and let it get in the way.

Some people build a car and see what they get for one like it at BJ and think that is what they should get for theirs. Case in point they had a 33 Vicky at a dealer down south and they wanted $66,000 for it Downs bodied car, no chrome anywhere, underneath was dirty as all get out, the inside only had two buckets in it. Shortly after I seen that surfing , the BJ auction came on They had a 33 Vicky, steel all kinds of bling, you could have eaten off the underside, every thing perfect and it sold for $38,000. Some people don't have a clue, Just a big wallet.

Bob
Old 03-27-2014, 04:57 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,151 Times in 950 Posts
After teching Top Fuel, Funny Car, Pro Stock, Alcohol Funny, Top Alcohol Dragster, Super Comp and Super Gas for over 20 years, I don't even want to look at something that was put together by an amateur. And the street cars that were put together by supposed "professionals" leave me wanting also. I don't even like to go to the amateur shows in the parking lots any more. All I see is junk that I wouldn't trust to drive around the block.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.