Valve Adjustment on iron duke (2.5) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2003, 03:38 AM
Imports Are Evil

Wiki Edits: 0

Valve Adjustment on iron duke (2.5)

just curious, i replaced the head on my 2.5L iron duke (88 S-10) and i tightened down the rocker arms, and all the valves open.. after loosening all of them so there is a small amount of lash, run it for a minute, and shut it down, i have more lash, so anyways, i got them down most of the way, but it still seems as if theyre staying a little open at TDC (not good)

I saw in the other posts they said to roll the pushrod in your fingers, and then go 1\2 or 1\4 turn, to tighten it up, but if i set that, it would still be finger tight probobly, as with any bolts, especially important valvetrain bolts, i dont want those things falling out, im assuming that 1\4 or 1\2 turn would be at least 15ftlbs, and my spec on my engine is about 26 i think.

Anyways... is it normal for the valves to be a little open when installing a new head and pushrods? will they seat after a couple miles?

Thank you everyone for listening to my poor duke story

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2003, 08:28 AM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last journal entry: The Blower and test fit.
Last photo:

When you are doing this, are you making sure that the cylinder is on TDC for what valves you are working on?

The 1/2 turn once tension is felt is when using hydraulic lifters. That's what I used and never worried about torque specs. Do you have stock stamped rockers? I wouldn't worry about them getting loose on you, since they'll be making noise if it happens. Your bigger concern is making sure you're adjusting them correctly...

Oh yeah, and it's not normal for the valves to be open, that's why I asked if you were adjusting them correctly. Be careful, because you could flatten out that cam.
What's the specs on the cam?
Old 09-11-2003, 11:39 PM
Imports Are Evil

What's the specs on the cam?..... its a stock hyd camshaft, so i have no idea, whatever came stock in the 88 chevy S-10 with the 2.5L

what i have been doing, is turning the engine over by hand, and watching when one valve comes closed, turning it about 1\4 crank, and making sure that another valve isnt going to open, and then adjusting them there... just to make sure there shouldnt be any tesnsion on them. I realize bringing it up to TDC would be the correct way, but i assumed it would be the same concidering there isnt any valve lift going on.

Tomorrow morning im going to take the valvecover and do the ol when it clicks turn it back 1\4, as long as there is some tension on the bolt, im not going to worry about it. (thank you for pointing out, that i will hear it if its off, i forgot about the obvious)

im going to let it warm up... shut it off... let it cool back down, and let it warm up again, since it hasnt even had a chance to hit operating temp yet. It runs fairly smoothe, so im not scared to let it run for a while... everytime i run it, it seems to get better, is this normal valve seating or just my brain not working correctly?

Thank you!
Old 09-12-2003, 09:48 PM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last journal entry: The Blower and test fit.
Last photo:

Use this method. I found it on another thread from 1BAD. It's the easiest way I've ever seen of adjusting valves. Follow this, and you shouldn't have to worry about it ever again. Good luck!

How to adjust valves
Old 09-12-2003, 11:09 PM
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS

Are these rockers even adjustable on your motor? The torque values you mentioned sound like that of non adjustable stud type assemblies that are easily mistaken for adjustable. Except the obviousness of the nut turning to easy until bottomed out on the stud. Which sounds like what you're describing.
Old 11-04-2003, 02:58 PM
Imports Are Evil

thanks everyone

everything is gravy with the duke, i just trashed the #1 plug, and checked all but that one (trashed = aka something flew into the intake and bumped around in the cyl and messed up the plug... have no idea what it is, im looking forward to pulling off the cat and finding out what it was im a curious person... maybe it was a squirell? or a long lost brother?

Thanks everyone

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.