Which valve cover. - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2013, 11:43 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanLT1 View Post
You guys shamed me into it, I removed the map sensor today and will mill a cover for it.
Auto Gear, The machine turning on the plate on the manifold was done with a kit from Eastwood. They come in 1/2" or 1" diameter and appear to be some sort of rubber impregnated with various compounds. I did mine with the 1/2" diameter roll and the most difficult part is maintaining the spacing for the overlap. I did mine in a milling machine so indexing was easy and accurate but still easy to screw up, ask me how I know I was getting the hang of it by the time I made the plate on the manifold because I made all the plates for my custom dash.

I wanted to carry the machine turning into the engine compartment so I continued the 1/2" circles and 3" circles on the stainless steel firewall.
The firewall I did with 3" scotchbrite pads. I laid out the circles a row at a time with a magic marker and used the mill like a drill press and just laid the scotcbrite pad in the circles. It took a bunch of pads though, stainless is tough.
Also, when doing the 1/2" circles on aluminum you have to get the speed right, to fast and it will burn the aluminum, to slow and it doesn't cut well. I forget what speed I ran it at but it was around 600 rpm.
I used a mix of water and wd40 for coolant and dabbed it on with a brush. I could only get around three or four circles before the rubber roll would need to be dressed because it seems to load up.
I would dress it with 220 grit adhesive backed sand paper stuck to a piece of flat stock that I could just lay on the mill table and bring the spindle down to touch the paper that way it would dress the rubber roll flat so you get a clean circle.
It is very time consuming, so patience is a virtue
like it, but not for me, I'm not good with virtues

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2013, 08:56 AM

im a shoprat. i LOVE the jewling. bring a little gunlove to the hotrodding world. definatly my style! i have a jewling kit for my mill but its for doing smaller peices like bolts and magazine followers but i could use that ideah. thank you for the insight!! wish i had the means to do the whole firewall!!! that is phenominal! here i am thinkin diamond plate. that is way better ideah with the jewling.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:20 AM

???

I am confused. lol
Old 05-14-2013, 12:55 PM

Last photo:

"jeweling" is gunsmith-speak for 'engine turning' Those swirly geometric patterns laid out on (usually) aluminum. Apparently there was a reason for it, besides looking very early 1900-1950's cool on airplanes, cars etc. It was also done to spruce up pocket watches handguns and rifles. Heres a link to pictures
My first attempt at 'Jeweling'
Old 05-14-2013, 03:22 PM

Confused??

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthogdog View Post
I am confused. lol
I am not confused about the jeweling. The engine compartment was already a work of art. I just have a different view in what is not enough and too much. I try to live somewhere in the middle. Too much will hurt and too little has the same effect. Kinda like breathing air.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:12 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-10again! View Post
im a shoprat. i LOVE the jewling. bring a little gunlove to the hotrodding world. definatly my style! i have a jewling kit for my mill but its for doing smaller peices like bolts and magazine followers but i could use that ideah. thank you for the insight!! wish i had the means to do the whole firewall!!! that is phenominal! here i am thinkin diamond plate. that is way better ideah with the jewling.
Just got a new Ruger Mark 3 (modded to remove the LCI and mag disconnect along w/a Volquartsen trigger and sear, Hogue grips not on it yet). I'd love to do the bolt on it...

Engine turning aids lubrication retention and can lessen friction. But LOOKS bad-A, too.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:23 PM
WFO

Last photo:

For the valve/coil(?) covers, I like the flat fasteners- even though I do like acorn nuts (just not in this application). Otherwise they look real good to me.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:24 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
My wife thought the valve covers on my lt1 look a bit plain and unfinished so I fabricated a trim plate to mount on top and machined some stainless washers to go under the chrome acorn nuts. I'm not sure I'm crazy about it.
What you guys think?
I think you should finish the whole thing off in flat black rattle can and tell the wife to go fix you some eggs.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:26 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
Just got a new Ruger Mark 3 (modded to remove the LCI and mag disconnect along w/a Volquartsen trigger and sear, Hogue grips not on it yet). I'd love to do the bolt on it...

Engine turning aids lubrication retention and can lessen friction. But LOOKS bad-A, too.
Theres a couple guys over on the RimfireShooting.com Forum that turn out some beautiful Rugers and custom trigger jobs (although I have lusted after a VQ for awhile). Nice piece, price on em is SKY HIGH here

To the OP: This obviously aint your first rodeo, what else have you done besides the rambler
Old 05-15-2013, 11:48 PM

ruger mark series, love em or hate em. i love em. where im at cobalt, your a crook. better take two rounds outa that mag before posting pics. that mark111 is deadly with more than 7 rds. on topic though, i bet you can integrate lots of ideahs back and forth. i used an old ratchet handle and some aluminum strips to make stabilizer struts for my mini-14's and cut out action shock buffers from an old hay conveyor belt. used an otis rifle cleaning cable for a choke cable on my old s-10. made a little bracket for it with some spring tension...worked mint.

Last edited by s-10again!; 05-16-2013 at 12:01 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to s-10again! For This Useful Post:
AutoGear (05-16-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 01:40 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
... The machine turning on the plate on the manifold was done with a kit from Eastwood. They come in 1/2" or 1" diameter and appear to be some sort of rubber impregnated with various compounds. ...
You can get Cratex rubberized abrasives in sizes from 3/16" to 1" diameter (all are 6" long), and a variety of grits.

I think I used the "fine" grit for an aluminum panel, iirc. I also remember I had to experiment with how far to extend the abrasive out from the collet, so it couldn't wander too much.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:17 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoGear View Post
Theres a couple guys over on the RimfireShooting.com Forum that turn out some beautiful Rugers and custom trigger jobs (although I have lusted after a VQ for awhile). Nice piece, price on em is SKY HIGH here

To the OP: This obviously aint your first rodeo, what else have you done besides the rambler
The complete VQs are expensive, regardless! I mean, about $950 for the Deluxe 'stripper' model (no grips, even) up to god-only-knows for the top shelf models? Yikes! I paid $319.00 for it plus $20 to my FFL holder and another ~$80 for the VQ trigger & sear, hammer bushing (BAM), and grips. Far cry from a full-zoot VQ but it'll shoot better than me, now that the trigger works.

There's a guy on eBay doing bolt jeweling, it would be about $40 (includes shipping both ways) to do mine. If I were to do it, I'd probably use him if he checked out.

Jeweling a flat surface is one thing but doing a curved surface w/a radius as small as a bolt would be more than I expect I could do using my drill press.

Sorry about the hijack, americanLT1. I would like to say the workmanship looks top flight on your American. Those trunk hinges- are you ****ting me?? If the rest is as detailed, that's a show car, me amigo!
Old 05-16-2013, 09:18 AM

More eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
I think you should finish the whole thing off in flat black rattle can and tell the wife to go fix you some eggs.
Touche! Could not have said it better.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:34 AM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
Hail yeah now that's what i'm talking about Richard.

Cole
Old 05-16-2013, 09:34 AM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Al the people who are condemning the rambler,mabe you should post a picture of YOUR cars to show ,what it should look like,??.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.