valve cover leak... need healp - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2007, 07:13 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

valve cover leak... need healp

i had a leak from both of my valve covers so i changed the gaskets and they were still leaking (left side was a steady drip).. so i went out and bought a new set of valve covers and gaskets and the left side still has a small leak(only after i shut the engine off) any answers would be appreciated.
thanks mike... i put an arrow in the pic to show where the leak is comming from
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	engine.1.gif
Views:	117
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	22466  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2007, 07:35 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Hi Mike. Is it possible that the leak is from the breather dripping oil on the VC? Just a thought.

I had a real hard time getting my new covers to stop leaking. I ended up gluing the gaskets to the cover with 3M weather strip adhesive and let it set up a little. Then I used Permatex #2 on the head side. Just a small amount evenly smeared on the gasket. Buttoned it up and so far so good.

I know some use RTV but personally, from what I learned early on, its not for use with gaskets. It is soooo slick when wet that quite often it will let the gasket slide out and cause an even bigger mess. Also, on stock heads and silicone, the cover can actually push the gasket into the rounded surface and cut the gasket right down the middle. Not good. My 2 cents on that subject! LOL

Mark
Old 07-01-2007, 07:47 PM

studs and fel-pro

I had the same problem. Get studs about $12. Most important get a reusable gasket with a steal insert. I recomend fel-pro (blue ones) they are about $40 summit has a store brand but did not work. I like the blue fel-pro. Put the studs in put the gasket on (no sealer) and you will be fixed. I went though 4 sets of gaskets ($45) before I used studs and Fel-pro steal insert gaskets. The studs are also key it will not let you over tighten. I know it sounds expensive but it will work no might involved "It will work".
Old 07-01-2007, 07:53 PM

Last photo:

thanks. but i know that its not comming from the breather (i eye-balled it and waited and wiped and watied lol) its leaking from the left side coner right at the rounded part of the heads
Old 07-01-2007, 09:18 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthecomic
I had the same problem. Get studs about $12. Most important get a reusable gasket with a steal insert. I recomend fel-pro (blue ones) they are about $40 summit has a store brand but did not work. I like the blue fel-pro. Put the studs in put the gasket on (no sealer) and you will be fixed. I went though 4 sets of gaskets ($45) before I used studs and Fel-pro steal insert gaskets. The studs are also key it will not let you over tighten. I know it sounds expensive but it will work no might involved "It will work".

This will fix the problem. I went through 3 sets of gaskets. I even tried double gaskets and gaskets with rtv on them. They continued to leak. I bought the ones with the steel inserts and no more leaks. I have even removed one of them to replace a bad rocker stud and reused it. No leaks.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:36 PM

Last photo:

These can sometimes help: Mr. Gasket valve cover bolt load spreaders for SBC engines.

Part number--finish

6395--gold dichromate
6396--chrome
6397--black

Also, be sure your cover flanges are straight. Sometimes you have to beat on them some to make them straight enough to seal.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:40 PM

Last photo:

already using a gasket with a steel insert. its not a big leak anymore, but when i turn the car off after about 2mins u see it trickling down the block. AND i know this is off topic a little bit but what should the oil pressure be around...
Old 07-01-2007, 10:01 PM

Last photo:

and another thing... any reason why it only leaks when the engine is off ???
Old 07-01-2007, 10:52 PM
406 Caprice:Rust Never Sleeps!

Just for extra "insurance"-the next time you have vc's off, be sure to check drain-back/return galleys on the head(s),
especially the ones at rear. Because the engine sits lower at the rear than the front, they usually get more business than the others. It's not uncommon to have a piece or chunk of one of the little cardboard or styrofoam cap seals (from a quart container of oil) get down into a return galley and partially obstruct return flow-causing oil to buildup to higher than normal level under the valvecover(s), and this in turn can contribute and/or exacerbate any leakage already being caused by poor sealing of the valvecover gaskets. Also-even though they are new- it really would be a good idea to check the flanges of the covers with a straightedge just to be sure. The "load spreaders" previously mentioned by another poster are an excellent idea as well. Good luck and let everyone know what ends up solving the problem.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:13 PM

Last photo:

chrome/aftermarket valve covers are notorious for having larger flange lips than stock valve covers. this, in essence, causes the valve cover to contact the intake manifold before seating on the gasket, thus creating a leak. switch to thicker gaskets or change the valve covers.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:06 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

It sounds to me like your rear oil return holes are plugged with "gunk"..pull the Covers, and "Fish" the returns with a coat hanger..OR better yet..A Gun Cleaning kit.

GET a NEW set of gaskets, SOAK them in OIL about 30 or more minutes before you install them. This will EXPAND the cork and give a better fit.

If you Don't have Spreader Bars, Get a Set of 8 and install them on the hold down handles.

This should stop your leaks..If not, your new covers are major bent..(common place problem) Return them and get a new set.

Doc
Old 07-02-2007, 05:23 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by docvette
It sounds to me like your rear oil return holes are plugged with "gunk"..pull the Covers, and "Fish" the returns with a coat hanger..OR better yet..A Gun Cleaning kit.

If it leaks AFTER you shut it off then I'm with Doc, oil is pooling in the heads and the only way that can happen I know of is the return holes being plugged.

I'm using studs with Esna lock nuts, Mr. Gasket rubber gaskets with the metal insert and the spreader bars and have NO leaks and the gaskets were used ones that came with a set of valve covers I bought off eBay.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:46 AM
NAVY VETERAN

Last photo:

chrome valve covers are notorious for leaking.
also check your PCV to see if its not plugged cuz that will make the oil puke out of the breather.
my advice :
ditch the chrome and get some cheap diecast covers.
the ealing area holds up nice with em.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:00 PM

Last photo:

thanks for all the replys.. tom im gonna try to clean out the return bc thats what i was thinking might be the prob (well the part about the build up not the return being clogged) as for the spreaders i allways had them on and i will check to see if the covers r bent.. might take the camera and show pics.. thanks again
Old 07-02-2007, 06:08 PM

ck the v/c rail on the head also. might have been dropped at some point in its life.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.