valve covers blown off - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2006, 07:55 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

"'57 Chevy - I like that shot of your car."

Hey, "Thinking Man", thanks. It's the best pic I have.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2006, 10:34 AM
72 Nova, 65 Rambler, 37 Chevy

Last photo:

Oh I beleive you, Ive heard this happening several times, one which had a long detailed post right here, breathers going into orbit, dipstick bullets, etc. I just wanted to see some cool pics.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:31 PM

Blown valve covers - ITS TRUE !!!

I have a 1982 boat with twin 350 chev motors with about 1000 hours on them- this week after having the local marine service center tune up both motors and running them for a couple of hours, we stopped and turned off the motors and let them sit for a while - When I turned the ingition switch to the port motor to start - INSTANT EXPLOSION - blowing both valves covers completly off the motor leaving the 4 bolts firmly in the motor and larger holes in the covers- after all the smoke cleared I replaced both covers the best I could on the lake and the motor restarted. DOES ANY KNOW WHAT COULD CAUSE THIS - and could there be other damage ??
Old 07-19-2009, 11:07 PM

Last photo:

Ok lets see, your first post and its on a thread thats over 4 yrs old.....you were on a lake and blew both valve covers off one of your engines leaving the bolts in the heads. Then you say you replaced the valve covers the best you could. Did you happen to have a spare set on the boat?....along with a spare set of VC gaskets? Or did you just repair The blown up parts??????
Old 07-19-2009, 11:39 PM
Chevy to the death!

327nut, very good points!!! One might think that grenaded valve covers would sink to the bottom of the water
Old 07-19-2009, 11:56 PM
you can never know to much

Last wiki edit: Practice page Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowTiePride
327nut, very good points!!! One might think that grenaded valve covers would sink to the bottom of the water
And I'v never met a boater who carried spare valve cover gaskets or valve covers with them!

And if you got a ride back to shore, I think I would have had them tow the boat in also!
Old 07-20-2009, 08:27 AM
Last photo:

I know the original post is four years old, but this can happen as it did to me. I was working at a local Ford dealership when I was given a car that the owner had been working on and would not start. He had replaced the timing chain so the first thing I checked was the timing and it was way off. I set the distributor as close as I could and tried to start it. The plugs were obviously gas fouled as it cranked over for some time before it finally went boom. The valve covers were still attached but ballooned out as was the oil pan. The oil dipstick almost went into low earth orbit. The customer had been trying to get the car to run and had been pumping away on the carb and cranking. The extra gas had washed by the cylinders and diluted the oil with gas. It reached a point when I had set the timing close enough to fire that the combustion process went past the rings and ignited the mixture in the crankcase.

Vince
Old 07-20-2009, 09:24 AM

Last photo:

I have had a set of valve covers exploded in my face..car wouldn't start,, used about a half can of starting fluid,,(did not know there was hole in piston)tried to start ,, and BOOM... blew the crap out of motor...i was 17 years old then ..and now i'm a lot smarter...crap happens..
Old 07-20-2009, 09:55 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

We had a friend of ours show up with a 350 in his pickup that kept blowing off the valve covers, he showed us several sets. Upon stripping it down we found a hole in the number 7 piston so when the valve opened the fuel went right past the hole into the oil, he`d stomp it, a spark would occur and boom.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:48 PM

I have also heard of this happening on Marine Engines. I have been told if the gasket starts to leak on the Mechanical fuel pump it can dump fuel into the oil, and then this can happen.

Trust me, I sure check the Oil on my boat for gas smells before starting it. I sure do not want to be sitting on top of 30 gallons of gas and it go boom on me.

Bryan
Old 07-20-2009, 03:48 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

that can happen to any mech fuel pump...
Old 07-20-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 327NUT
Ok lets see, your first post and its on a thread thats over 4 yrs old.....you were on a lake and blew both valve covers off one of your engines leaving the bolts in the heads. Then you say you replaced the valve covers the best you could. Did you happen to have a spare set on the boat?....along with a spare set of VC gaskets? Or did you just repair The blown up parts??????

Maybe I should have posted a comment on a thread that was current - but had no relevance to my situation to make you happy. I had on my boat a tube of gasket maker, I used washers to fill the larger bolt holes made by the explosion, I straightened the valve covers out and re-bolted back on. I then checked and added 3 quarts of oil and restarted the motor, everything seemed to be fine but I chose not to run the motor until I know more about what caused it and if there could be additional damage. Why are you ready post to threads that are 4 years old?
Old 07-20-2009, 09:49 PM

Last photo:

In 1987 my sister called me and said her car would not start. It was a 1977 Firebird with V-6 engine. I reached in and hit the key and boom both valve covers were blown out at the sides. This was the first and only time I have ever seen this happen. Not one but both valve covers. I never did find out why it happened.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:00 PM

i had an old 81 gmc jimmy that was propane powered,the engine was worn out and leaking oil bad.as i backed it into my garage there was a load explosion.propane had leaked past the rings filled the crank case and ignited.blew the dip stick out and every seal on that engine as well,but pan and rocker covers were still in place.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:33 AM

re: Boater valve covers

You detonated the motor. you hade fuel in the oil pan from flooding the carb.
You could have bent rods if they are steel. I would check the floates.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.