Hot Rod Forum banner

Valve Guide Fixable?

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  johnsongrass1 
#1 ·
462 Head, broken guide. Look closely and you can see chatter marks on the guide.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Bummer. I seriously doubt it's worth trying to fix- by the time you got it back to usable, you could have bought different head(s).

The last time I saw a guide that looked like that, the "machinist" a buddy found to do his Pontiac #13 heads used a ball broach to size the guide liners with. Yep- broke the top right off. :spank:

#7 · (Edited)
Devil's Advocate

A replacement guide will require the valve seat to be verified/corrected to still be in the correct place for the valve to seal, along with sizing the guide after installation.

If the seat has already seen a couple valve jobs and is sunken, this gets a bit more dicey than just drilling out the old and pressing in the new. In a worst case scenario, this could mean that larger valves and seats would be needed (provided these pressed-stud heads aren't already 2.02's)- a good modification in many cases. Or a new seat insert could be installed then blended in so the port flows as before. All routine stuff, but can add up, cost-wise.

But w/the cost of these heads dropping and production Vortec heads and aftermarket heads so cheap, the point of diminishing returns has to be considered.

This is much the same argument I constantly hear when I mention using production Vortec heads: By the time you do the work required to use the Vortec heads with a higher-than-stock lift camshaft (or so the story goes :rolleyes: ), you could just as easily buy a new set of heads.

While I do not necessarily agree w/that, there IS a fine line that, if crossed, means you've paid more to repair something than it would take to swap over to a better head to begin with.

My bottom line goes something like this: If these heads are near and dear to you, or they're fresh, or in excellent shape w/no valve recession from numerous valve jobs and/or no seat wear from no-lead fuel, it's all good.

Otherwise, see what it costs to put them right and compare that to the newer-tech heads or another set of 'humps.

EDIT- I see that they're going into the great beyond via the classifieds.:thumbup:

#9 ·
I agree to everything you have said. These being virgin castings with small valves, and already magged, I think they should help some one.

23' Dart heads, $1100 vs rebuilt 40 year old cast iron $800 no brainer ;)

Stupid Circle Track rules that mandate these things really get on my nerves. Promoters claim they save the racer money. Yet, the math doesn't add up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.