Valve Lapping - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2010, 09:31 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Valve Lapping

Hey all I have a 350 in my jeep and have a small exhaust seat leak on my number 5 exhaust valve. I was wondering if anyone has ever lapped a valve without removing the head from the engine. I have small hands and can get the valve down far enough to be able to get the compound on and wiped off. I was going to use a drill attatched to the valve stem on a low speed. Just wanted opinions if its feasible or if anyone has any insight they can give. I havent ran a leak down test to find the precentage but have hooked compressed air and can barely hear and feel air coming around the seat. thanks everyone!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2010, 11:12 PM

Cunferferth,

Boy you are going way back here. Lapping a valve to a seat requires that the valve turns clockwise then counter-clockwise. Then lift the valve off of the seat then do the left- right twist and so on. So just spinning the valve will not do so much. Besides you will never get the lapping compound off of all the parts with the engine still assembled.

I would put a shim under the spring and put it back together and run it a while. The extra pressure will cause the valve to hammer the seat and it may stop the slight leak. This is just a quick fix. If you want the valve to stop leaking, I think I would pull the head and grind the valve and seat again and then you know it is correct.

Good Luck
Scholman(retired)
Old 08-19-2010, 05:37 AM

I know the technique, I should be able to use the drill and go forward and reverse and be able to tap the valve up and down. Getting the compound out is my only worry. I can use the air to blow out what I can't wipe off. Being the exhaust valve I feel it won't suck it back into the engine. This is my last resort to get by taking the head off being I just got the motor back together less than 500 miles ago. I guess my first order is to get a leak down tester, what's the maximum leak percentage I can get away with? Thanks
Old 08-19-2010, 05:46 AM
No substitute for cubic inches

Last photo:

If you need to re- lap that valve the only way to do it is pull the head, if not you will be doing the complete rebuild again as there is no way to keep compound and micro shavings from falling down on the piston. Instant cyl. destruction with compound in that hole may as well pour sand in the oil pan.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:56 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunferferth
Hey all I have a 350 in my jeep and have a small exhaust seat leak on my number 5 exhaust valve. I was wondering if anyone has ever lapped a valve without removing the head from the engine. I have small hands and can get the valve down far enough to be able to get the compound on and wiped off. I was going to use a drill attatched to the valve stem on a low speed. Just wanted opinions if its feasible or if anyone has any insight they can give. I havent ran a leak down test to find the precentage but have hooked compressed air and can barely hear and feel air coming around the seat. thanks everyone!
No, the compound in the engine will be catastrophic. Pull the head and fix it

Chet
Old 08-19-2010, 06:56 AM

Bummer! Thanks for the info! I have the fel pro metal shim gasket..think I can reuse it?
Old 08-19-2010, 07:19 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Bummer! Thanks for the info! I have the fel pro metal shim gasket..think I can reuse it?
no.

If you can actaully hear air escaping you need the seat and valve cut- or a new set of heads.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:29 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
I wouldn't bother taking the chance- they're dirt cheap and for the work involved to redo it if/when it leaks isn't worth the possible savings, IMHO.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:51 AM

I can't hear the air escaping I can feel it and can only hear it when I stick my finger in the exhaust port over the area it's leaking..I'm gonna just pull the head and do it the right way..wanted to go around that but it's my only choice
Old 08-19-2010, 07:55 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
I know the technique, I should be able to use the drill and go forward and reverse and be able to tap the valve up and down. Getting the compound out is my only worry. I can use the air to blow out what I can't wipe off. Being the exhaust valve I feel it won't suck it back into the engine. This is my last resort to get by taking the head off being I just got the motor back together less than 500 miles ago. I guess my first order is to get a leak down tester, what's the maximum leak percentage I can get away with? Thanks
BTW . You can't get away with ANY leakage past a valve for very long . No percentage is acceptable .
Old 08-19-2010, 08:08 AM

It's just weird though because on a compression test #5 cylinder is the one leaking but it read 180psi along with 1,3, and 7
Old 08-19-2010, 08:14 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
It's just weird though because on a compression test #5 cylinder is the one leaking but it read 180psi along with 1,3, and 7
If you just have a slight leak on the valve seat it probably wouldn't show up in a compression test . Go ahead and pressurize the #5 cyl . Are you sure the lifter isn't adjusted too tight ? If you have ANY leakage past the valve you will have to pull the head to fix it . If you continue to run it , you run the risk of ruining the valve and the seat to where a regrind won't be enough .

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.