Valve lock/retainer wobble - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2008, 05:24 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Valve lock/retainer wobble

Hey you guys'
I have some Comp 7* locks(pn648) and 7* retainers(pn787). When I place the retainer on a bare valve, position the locks in their grove, pull the retainer over the locks, there is a bit of a wobble as if they were 10* retainers and 7* locks, not that much but allot more than I have seen in the past.
Also while trial assembling the valves in the head, and tapping the stem to seat the locks, upon disassembly there is a witness ring(slight deformation) near the lower end of the locks, as if they only contact the retainer at one point near the bottom where they protrude slightly.
Shouldn't the retainer/lock mating be more of a collet (broad surface contact) type fit than just a ring type contact?
I think I'll order a set of 10* locks/retainers to see if I get the same results.
I tried to attach some pics but I was given an error message that said the limit for the files were 300kb and my pics were more than 500kb.
Anyone have any input? Thanks in advance!
ssmonty

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2008, 06:21 PM
boatbob2

wobble.......

HI,if you have the stock parts,put them on a valve and see if they wobble. could either be a mismatch in parts (comps) or worn out valve,should not have a witness ring,should seat all the way..
Old 07-27-2008, 08:08 PM

Last photo:

Sorry,
I don't have stock parts. New Manley valves and measure .341" w/mic.
I already ordered 10* parts. I believe the locks(machined type) have some bad machining. They look a bit rough on the small dia. end where the witness mark was. Didn't check all of em. Supposedly the new ones are precision machined. I thought the others were too? Quality isn't what it used to be!
Thanks for the reply Bob!
ssmonty
Old 07-28-2008, 09:31 AM
boatbob2

locks.......

Hi SS MONTY,ive been hearing bad things about comp cams and parts,maybe CHINESE manufacturing????????????????????
Old 08-22-2008, 06:40 PM

Last photo:

Just an update on my wobbly retainers. I swapped out the 7 degree retainers and locks for some 10 degree parts.(Comp parts also). I've also subscribed to high speed internet recently, and now I think I can upload pics to make things a little more clear.
While assembling the valve/springs onto the heads, I noticed that some of the retainers seemed to have a bit of a wobble as if the locks and retainers did not fit together properly. I used a valve spring mic to jack up the retainers to measure for spring installed height. I would have it extended as far as I could, and thought that was the the number to record for the addition of shims after subtracting the spring installed height, but after smacking the stem tip with a plastic hammer, the assembly had some more slack that had to be taken up with the mic another 20 thou or so. I rechecked the mic to make sure it wasn't varying and it read right on.
I dissasembled a couple of assy's to take a closer look at the locks/retainers and saw a witness mark(ring) where it looks like the retainer dug into the lock.
I think I am able to post a pic now. Hope it works this time.
I've since installed 10 degree locks/retainers and did the same hammer smack and saw only .001" difference. More like it! Just thought some of you might be interested.

Last edited by ssmonty; 08-22-2008 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:53 PM

Last photo:

I also ment to mention that I lost over 60thou of distance that was going to have to be taken up with spring shims. For instance, one measured 1.820" with the 7* parts and required a .031" and .062" shim to get to the 1.750" spring installed height. With the 10* parts , I didn't need any shims, measured 1.746"(little shy but close enough for me).
I must admit that with beehive spring retainers(smaller OD) that it looks like the retainer is pretty thin between the lock bore and the spring seat.
I'm gonna try again to post a pic of the 7* locks after I downloaded an image re-sizer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00797 (Large).JPG
Views:	56
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	32016  

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.