Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Valve nuts
Thread: Valve nuts
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2006, 08:16 PM
Wiki Edits: 0

I think it depends on what application the heads are used set of 2 stock never rebuilt 4 barrel plain Jane 429 heads are 7/16 shoulder's where the rocker ball is placed, but the threaded area is 3/8's fine thread, for the adjustable valve train...I've seen Cobra Jet heads with the larger 7/16 fine thread...Probably aftermarket rocker studs have also gone to the 7/16 size as well...These heads really like the new roller valve train with the jam nuts...have put quite a few sets on (3) on different engine combo's...Haven't head any problem with the 3/8 fine thread rocker studs...again remember the rocker ball is on the 7/16 shoulder.

I think I remember, that those early '9er's had the heavy cast iron rockers...not good for hi revs...okay for regular old-man driving...too heavy...install guide plates and a good set of aluminum roller your was one of the reasons Ford went to the non adjustable lighter valve train...too many broken and bent pushrods...with the heavy valve rockers...Had a 71 Torino Super Cobra Jet when I was young... I sure loved that car, insurance company loved me for the high

For hi revs...try and locate the larger 7/16 threaded stud, similar, though not the same as Chevy rat's been a while since I've done those heads...4-5 yrs?...hope this helps...what's your plans on the engine? What's it going into? Cheers!