Hot Rod Forum banner

valve seals

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  cobalt327 
#1 ·
so ive narrowed down a sigle plug fouling out to a bad valve seal...i have a 69 nova ss with a 350sbc and was wondering is it possible to replace without taking the heads off? has anyone done it?

#2 ·
Are you sure it is just the valve seal and not the guide? Hate to see you do all the work and it still leak oil and foul the plug. Any way here is a list of tools you will need: Summit Racing® Valve Spring Compressors SUM-906784 - SummitRacing.com, air compressor, Moroso Spark Plug Air Hose Kits 62385 - SummitRacing.com. Here is the tool needed to install positive stop valve seals: COMP Cams Valve Seal Installation Tools 5334 - SummitRacing.com. No installation tool necessary for umbrella style.

#3 ·
Yes,and it can be done on the side of the road with a piece of flat bar,string,rag,hammer,socket.I dont recommend those tools but we did that at a race track when we had a broken spring,,,,between rounds,,,
the string can be used in the spark plug hole to keep valve from dropping. Hammer and socket to take spring off. I recommend you use a spring compressor for reassembly. there is also a spring compressor that reaches over the spring and has a turn knob on top that compresses the spring and has claws,think of a steering wheel puller principal

#6 · (Edited)
The one w/the knob won't work w/double springs and heavy springs can be a problem. But it's OK for stock and mild performance springs.

Valve Spring Removal 101, Lesson 1: Loosen the locks before compressing spring. Use a large socket that will allow you to put force on just the retainer/spring and NOT the tip of the valve. In other words- hit the valve retainer- not the valve tip. A rubber mallet works fine, dead blow, fine- just do not use a steel hammer against steel. You can use a piece of wood atop the socket and hit THAT w/a steel hammer, if need be.

A cheap tool that will also work for mild springs. It goes over the stud, use a non locking nut to tighten the tool against the retainer, not a lock not or polylock you're going to reuse:

And a more expensive tool for heavier springs:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.