Hot Rod Forum banner

Valve Springs Question - Seat Locators

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  leejoy 
#1 ·
Help

I'm looking at Comp Cams # 924 valve springs for my big block chevy. They are dual springs. One of the accessory items listed for them are # 4770 spring I.D. locators. It looks like a shim with a raised hole in the middle, apparantly to keep the inner spring from moving around. Am I right? My heads have a machined cutout to keep the outer spring in place. My question is do I need that # 4770 locator or will the "boss" of the valve guide keep the inner spring in place? It looks to me like the valve guide will keep the inner spring from moving around. Why do I need the 4770 locators?

you can see a picture of them here:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=CCA-4770-16&N=700+0&autoview=sku

#2 ·
Keep in mind those locaters are .060 thick. The springs you chose have an installed height of 1.900 for 115lbs on the seat. Install a retainer and the locks you are going to use without the spring or shims and check the distance from the bottom of the retainer to the head,if it is 1.960 then you will need a .060 shim. The spring locater you mentioned has an ID of .585,be sure this will go over the guide boss. The 924 spring has a .697 ID and the locater is made for .690,so you are good to go there.

I would start by measuring the base of the guide boss and checking the distance from the bottom of the retainer to the spring pad on the head.

#3 ·
GMC boogie said:
Keep in mind those locaters are .060 thick. The springs you chose have an installed height of 1.900 for 115lbs on the seat. Install a retainer and the locks you are going to use without the spring or shims and check the distance from the bottom of the retainer to the head,if it is 1.960 then you will need a .060 shim. The spring locater you mentioned has an ID of .585,be sure this will go over the guide boss. The 924 spring has a .697 ID and the locater is made for .690,so you are good to go there.

I would start by measuring the base of the guide boss and checking the distance from the bottom of the retainer to the spring pad on the head.
I agree - I know exactly what your talking about even though I've never done this before. I am worried about the same thing you said, the guide boss O.D. vs the spring locater I.D. Problem is I don't have a spring removal tool yet so I can't remove the springs. I was going to order the tool from Summit at the same time I order the springs and locators. I think I will buy the springs, locators, and spring tool all at once. If the locators don't fit I have to go to plan B. I do NOT want to remove the heads and have the valve guide boss's machined. I spent $1000 on rebuilding the heads a couple years ago and don't want to pull them off and go through that again. Those locators had better fit over those guides or I will be very angry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.