Hot Rod Forum banner

Valve Stem to Guide Clearance?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  1BAD80 
#1 ·
I just took apart my heads and found that the #2 cylinder that was bending a valve have very tight clearance. Its so bad that you can see the ridges where the valve was trying to spin. Can I just drill this out to lossen the clearance or do I have to take it to a machine shop. All other valve move very freely within the guide.

#2 ·
Are you saying all the other valves move freely in that guide ? , if that's the case then it's the valve stem that was faulty , maybe had a slight kink in it. If that's not what you're saying then try one of the other valves in that guide just to make sure that it is the guide that's tight . If it is tight I wouldn't recommend running a drill through it , take it to a machine shop so they can size it with the correct clearance.

#3 ·
I ran several other valves through it and its still tight. I will have to bring it to a machine shop to get it resize.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.