Hot Rod Forum banner

Valve Stem to Guide Clearance Question

7K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  y2k600f4 
#1 ·
I recently had a rebuild on a SBC that had less than 1000 miles on it. When the builder went thru the heads it was determined that (3) exhaust valve guides were borderline in spec (on the loose side). Well there were problems with the rebuild and needed to be tore down after 500 miles and now I was told the (3) guides that were borderline out of spec are now way out of spec and suggested they all be replaced (Aluminum heads) with the appropriate bronze replacement guides. Builder really don't know the cause but mentioned that the combination of the borderline out of spec, high spring pressure and previously breaking in the cam MAY of caused abnormal wear. Wondering if anybody can comment on this and also what is the typical Valve Stem to valve guide clearance ? Thanks.

#4 ·
guides

The 2 killers of valve guides.

1. to much valve seat run-out.

2. Incorrect rocker geometry.

So if one or both of those issues still exist with your engine it will destroy the new guides also.

Keith

#5 · (Edited)
k-star said:
The 2 killers of valve guides.

1. to much valve seat run-out.

2. Incorrect rocker geometry.

So if one or both of those issues still exist with your engine it will destroy the new guides also.

Keith
Thanks for that info Keith. Are these typically checked by the engine builder/machinist when "going thru the heads" ? I believe the shop mentioned that along with resizing the valve guides they also reseated the valves, I am guessing that referrs to cutting or grinding the valve seats ? If that is the case I would assume they checked the runout (concentricity) with the proper gauge?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.