Hot Rod Forum banner

valve stem size

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  BOBCRMAN@aol.com 
#1 ·
i have a set of chevy 350 heads that today i was going to put brand new intake and exhaust valves
that the stem measurement was 11/32, but when i went to slip the new valves in they didnt fit. then i looked at the heads more carefully and seen that they have a sleeve in the valve guide, i measured and its a bit less then 11/32, i looked in all my parts books and can t find any valves smaller than 11/32 ???? does any one know what happen to my heads or are there special valves for replaced valve guides in the cylinder head,or do i have to take them to the machine shop to get 11/32 valvew guides in it???? here are some pics. left is the new 11/32 exhaust valve, right is old exhaust valve with unknown stem size

other pic is intake port with sleeve like thing

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Your heads were probably done by a commercial rebuilder.. The inserts are bronze liners that are normally inserted in a properly resized guide to bring the ID. back to standard dimensions. Looks like maybe the rebuilder was using "reground" valves with smaller OD. stems.. You will need to take the heads to a local shop that is using liners and have the guide broached or sized to your new valves.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.